Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Those pesky Russians

Canadian fighter jets intercept Russian bombers in Arctic

Fighter jets intercepted two Russian bombers flying about 75 kilometres off Canada’s Arctic coast in the early morning hours Thursday, NORAD revealed to CBC News.

Two CF-18s met the Tupolev Tu-95 long-range bombers, commonly referred to as "Bears," at around 1:30 a.m. PT as they flew a course in “the western reaches” of Canada’s Air Defence Identification Zone (ADIZ) over the Beaufort Sea, said Maj. Beth Smith, spokeswoman for North American Aerospace Defence Command.

The ADIZ extends approximately 320 kilometres from Canada’s coastlines, a distance far beyond the 22 kilometres, or 12 nautical miles, from the coast that define a nation’s sovereign airspace. Smith made it clear that the Russian bombers never entered Canada’s sovereign airspace, but did come within about 75 kilometres of Canada's mainland.

The encounter comes one day after Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko delivered a speech in Parliament thanking Canada for its ongoing support as his country’s forces battle with pro-Russian separatist rebels.

“This is disturbing. We’ve heard stories like in the past, of Russian bombers challenging Canadian airspace,” said James Bezan, parliamentary secretary to the Minister of National Defence and a Conservative MP from Manitoba.

“This plays into the narrative of a Putin regime that’s more aggressive not just in Crimea, not just in Ukraine, but indeed testing their neighbour in their entire region," he said.

About six hours before the CF-18s intercepted the Russian bombers, American F-22 fighter jets were scrambled from a base in Alaska to meet a group of Russian aircraft, including two refuelling tankers, two MiG-31 fighters and two long-range bombers.

After the U.S. jets made contact, the group headed west back towards Russian airspace.

“We’re seeing increased aggressive actions being taken by the Russian Federation,” Bezan said during an interview on CBC’s Power & Politics.

Despite the ongoing tensions between Western allies and Russia, it is not the first time Canadian and U.S. aircraft have intercepted Russian bombers seemingly flying toward sovereign airspace.

According to Smith, NORAD has dispatched fighter jets to make contact with Russian long-range bombers “in excess of 50 times” in the last five years.

Canadian jets intercepted the same type of long-range bombers off the coast of Newfoundland in 2010. After that incident, Peter MacKay, then minister of defence, told CBC News that Canadian military aircraft intercept between 12 and 18 Russian bombers annually.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadi...ctic-1.2772440
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

“This is disturbing. We’ve heard stories like in the past, of Russian bombers challenging Canadian airspace,” s
    The past? They do it pretty regularly! Harper pointed this out only a year or so ago. And not just to us.

And it's a bear. They're still propeller driven for heaven's sake. It's just a game and they've played it for years.

What do you think they're up to? Just trying to push someone's buttons?
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

What do you think they're up to? Just trying to push someone's buttons?
    Well a little bit - but mostly they're testing response times and radar detection ranges and gathering other intel about how varous nations react so that if it's ever real, they'll be able to plan.

But - yes it's also to push some buttons and remind the various powers that the Russians are there, they're armed, and they're not all THAT friendly

I wonder how many times us/canadian planes are intercepted by the russians. I assume this game goes both ways.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I wonder how many times us/canadian planes are intercepted by the russians. I assume this game goes both ways.
    Read my mind, word for word.
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    The difference is, as far as I know, we haven't/don't probe their defenses with strategic bombers.
    Pew pew pew

There goes a big part of the demand for the F-35 argument about range and ability. Like i've said before. The OPFOR would need to send a refueling aircraft to serve as a tanker to keep any fighters aloft. The Russians this time send Mig31 B models to act as a parasite unit to the Bear Bombers. If the Migs were armed with AA12's then having them used as an intercept to inbound fighters would have them track and engage at stand off distance before fighters were in tactical range of the Bears. At that point it's a one way trip for the Migs of the tankers are hit. So..

This is nothing more than just an exercise for Shits and giggles. If we really wanted to mess with the with the Russians we would have just ignored them.
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    The difference is, as far as I know, we haven't/don't probe their defenses with strategic bombers.
    We don't have any strategic bombers in decades. We haven't had tactical bombers since 1984
    Last edited by Strangeday; 09-20-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    The americans have always preferred genuine spy planes. Remember, this is largely what the SR-71 program was all about - a plane that could fly so fast and high that it couldn't be intercepted.

You'll recall the U-2 incident in the 60s where it was believed the U-2 was too high for the russians to intercept, till one got shot down over russian airspace

Nowadays I think they just fly recon aircraft close to the border, similar to what the russians do with their bombers, and I suspect the russian bombers are loaded with similar electronics. The us also puts it's warships close to international borders - nothing like a carrier battle group to remind people you CAN reach out and touch them if you want to

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast