Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    So because they created an easily recognized and likable logo, they're the devil?
    I like their rifles. The fact people like their logo means extremely little to me. They'd be stupid not to capitalize on it.
    No, it's not because of their recognizable logo. It's because of the fanboyism and blind fashion statements that's cheapened the logo from what it once meant. I'll admit they do still turn out some decent rifles and shotguns. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to put a logo on something it's because it's worth it, I use it and I know what it means. The fact that people put Browning logos on stuff and don't even know what it is chaps my arse. It's like sticking an Apple logo on your car and not knowing it's a cell phone company.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

But I really like apples! especially ones with only one bite in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    Those are a staple of any gunshop around here, no matter how small.
    Nice, I felt like I was asking for the moon in some places when asking about hornady/cci stuff
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    Are they forcing potential dealers to carry an entire product line rather than select products that fit their projected buyer profiles?
    With us, it was more the fact that we were too small....you don't meet our criteria....and they didn't want to be bothered with us at all. There's one distributor here in Canada that, no matter how big we may get someday, they will never see a dime of our money as long as I have anything to say about it. Whatever...if my money isn't good enough for them, then I'll take it elsewhere....and we did. Jon and I haven't had the time to put into the business for the past while...something I hope to change over the winter. We'll probably be a decade before we're where we want to be.....but when that day comes, there are certain products that we just won't be carrying under any circumstances because of who the distributor is here in Canada. Hell.....I had one place in the US that I offered to pay for a $10k of one type of magazine right up front...shut up and take my money.....did all the import/export paperwork for them....chased them every week for probably 3 months......and finally I gave up. That was 2 or 3 years ago. They are on my list of "never deal with" vendors now too. I don't consider it "helping out a little guy" when I'm willing to pay for an order in advance...they agree to everything.....I give them a credit card number to bill it to......then they just disappear....I keep trying to keep in touch.....nothing. When I have $1M to throw around, it won't be going to them for any reason. Fortunately, we have made other contacts in the industry that have turned out to be very helpful and we've become friends with.

At one time, General Motors was the largest corporation on the planet. Their attitude was to deal with them on their terms or just bugger off. Of course, that was before they were forced to declare bankruptcy.....you know....I'm just saying.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 09-27-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

The day I see GLOCK printed on womens pajama onesies is the day I stop taking GLOCK seriously as a gun manufacturer.

Check the latest Cabelas catalog for the Browning onesies.

The only reason I ever bought a Browning (BAR in 30.06) was because it was the best package I was looking for in a hard-hitting semi-auto hunting rifle. There were a few other semi-autos, but nothing else that had the same mix of attributes.

For every other type of firearm, though, I have no reason to buy a Browning anything.

Browning have been dicks forever. Countless years ago I worked in retail with the biggest dept store chain in Canada at that time. I sold Brownings under there suggested list price and they were always pissed but couldn't cut me off as in those days that would be cutting off your nose to spite you face.

They sent the store a letter saying they were going to stop shipping but again that would be stupid, I would just contact a different store, have them order them and transfer to me.

They have good guns so do countless other manufacturers so screw-em.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    The only reason I ever bought a Browning (BAR in 30.06) was because it was the best package I was looking for in a hard-hitting semi-auto hunting rifle. There were a few other semi-autos, but nothing else that had the same mix of attributes.

For every other type of firearm, though, I have no reason to buy a Browning anything.
    That's exactly what I did. I wanted a semi-auto in 300 win mag with a steel receiver. Guess who made the only rifle with all of those attributes. Although I hate the magazine system on it, the rest of the rifle is everything I had ever hoped for in a "reach out and touch you at 700 meters" hunting gun. As far as paying to plaster a bunch of Browning advertising all over my truck, or buying their jammies.....ummm....no.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Just gonna say it....savage is great to deal with and their canadian built guns are great
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeday View Post
    Just gonna say it....savage is great to deal with and their canadian built guns are great
    What is built in Canada now? I heard just the rimfires.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    Are they forcing potential dealers to carry an entire product line rather than select products that fit their projected buyer profiles?
    It's not an uncommon practice, and applies to manufacturers, distributors, and ultimately dealers.

The bigger manufacturers don't have the flexibility to quickly ramp up or ramp down production, so they do projections and work from there.
    Distributors have to take a wide variety of the manufacturers line up to get access to the items that fly.
    Dealers have to order the bread and butter items to get access to the meat and potatoes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast