Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Browning an ass to small gunstores

So talking to a friend of mine who started up a gunstore recently when a man came into the store looking for a Browning. He was told the store does not stock Browning rifles. When I asked why later, this is what he told me.

He had phoned up Browning and told them he wanted to stock Browning Rifles. Browning told him he could, but there were stipulations. First off, the minimum order is $25,000. Ok he could swing that. The second stipulation was that he could not place an order with Browning. Browning said THEY would ship him whatever THEY thought he needed whenever THEY thought he needed it. This included rifles, shirts, hats, cups, and even safes. So for your $25,000 only 1/4 of that might be rifles, the rest in other products. You just never knew from one day to the next.

He tried to tell them that he not only had a small store, but did not want stuff that he had to try and compete with Canadian Tire for, who could sell it a lot cheaper. He also told them things like large safes don't sell well in small towns like this and would take up a lot of floor space. He was simply told, it's their way or the highway.

He could have gone through a supplier rather than straight from Browning but he wanted the prices to be the lowest so he could sell low. And after what Browning said to him he's sadly boycotting bringing in any Browning products.

That's happened to a lot of small stores. Browning can be complete dicks and it's why you don't see many new hi powers sitting in display cases
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Take it from someone who's been through the "becoming a dealer" mill. It's not just Browning. There's more politics in getting firearms and other products from a distributor to the shelf than there is in Ottawa and Washington combined. Manufacturers and distributors can be complete a--holes.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Take it from someone who's been through the "becoming a dealer" mill. It's not just Browning. There's more politics in getting firearms and other products from a distributor to the shelf than there is in Ottawa and Washington combined. Manufacturers and distributors can be complete a--holes.
    Are they forcing potential dealers to carry an entire product line rather than select products that fit their projected buyer profiles?
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

It doesn't surprise me. Browning is no longer about building their name with quality. It's about whoring themselves out in anyway they can to make money. Ask people who have a Browning logo on their vehicle what kind of Browning gun they shoot or what they like to hunt most. 70% of them will have no idea it's a hunting/shooting logo.

Ever since Browning got out of building good guns and hunting gear and began pandering to the guido wanna-be redneck crowd by sticking their logo on everything from floor mats to air fresheners to bathroom accessories I swore I will never buy another Browning product.

I have a set of Browning camo that I keep only because it's actually does it's job. Browning is the wal-mart of the shooting/hunting world. Kind of like Duck Dynasty. That crap is everywhere now and I won't watch the show. I was watching it before it became cool to watch...
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    It doesn't surprise me. Browning is no longer about building their name with quality. It's about whoring themselves out in anyway they can to make money. Ask people who have a Browning logo on their vehicle what kind of Browning gun they shoot or what they like to hunt most. 70% of them will have no idea it's a hunting/shooting logo.
    I have a browning shirt, only because I have a browning and it features a dog that looks like my own. Take my brother though, 4 browning decals on his truck and not a single browning in the safe

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    Ever since Browning got out of building good guns
    I wouldn't really say that. I really do like my Browning Xbolt Varmint Stainless. It is a very nice firearm with a trigger to kill for! I do like the 30 degree bolt as well. Bolt knob is a little small for my tests but oh well.

Simply put, this store has no problems getting other brands. Hell Savage was HAPPY that another gun store wanted to sell their product.

So because they created an easily recognized and likable logo, they're the devil?
    I like their rifles. The fact people like their logo means extremely little to me. They'd be stupid not to capitalize on it.

I have to wonder about CCI & Hornady, as their products aren't common in smaller shops either.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I have to wonder about CCI & Hornady, as their products aren't common in smaller shops either.
    Those are a staple of any gunshop around here, no matter how small.

I'm not disagreeing it's kind of a dick move but at the same time I'm not really surprised. If you want to deal factory direct almost like a distributor then it's not unrealistic to expect that you're gonna have to do distributor like orders.

That said, this industry needs a serious tune up. The distributor model is antiquated and needs an overhaul. More often than not they seem to act as a roadblock rather than an asset in the retail supply chain model. FN distribution's recent bankruptcy is just the tip I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlgun View Post
    I'm not disagreeing it's kind of a dick move but at the same time I'm not really surprised. If you want to deal factory direct almost like a distributor then it's not unrealistic to expect that you're gonna have to do distributor like orders.
    And yet Browning is the only one who acted like that. Like I said before, Savage was more than happy to deal direct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast