Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VZ 58 Feeding problem

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this under, but im in need of some help. I have a VZ 58. Bought it brand new and took it to the range. It will not feed. Every time i try to chamber a round it will only go in half way and get stuck. I tried polishing the feed ramp, tried different ammunition, i smoothed out the points on the magazine in casing it was getting caught. I bought a new magazine and tried that. Nothing has worked so far. Although weirdly enough, it will feed snap caps without any issue. Any ideas? Some help would be greatly appreciated

Is it only making it halfway though the barrel once you are chambering a round or is it not even going into the barrel. Also who did you buy it from?? Try giving them a call and they should replace it or tell you how to send it in for repair!
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Will a round chamber manually? i.e. Drop one in?
    Is the chamber clean? This is a VZ58 built on a mil-spec receiver, not a CSA with a new receiver, correct?
    Are the Snap Caps scored from chambering?
    Watching the caps as you slowly allow the charging handle forward, are they bending to feed into the chamber?
    How loose/tight are the mags seating? Is there a lot of wiggle (such a technical question)?
    I'd love to suspect the mags...are the mags made by KCI?
    CSSA CCFR

The place i bought it from gave me a number to call but it always just goes to voicemail. Its a cz vz 58. I can put a round manually into the chamber and it will fire perfectly. Once it tries to chamber the second round, it will go half way from the magazine up the feed path and get stuck at an upward angle. The rounds sit snug in the magazine. Not sure what brand the magazines are. They have no markings and came with the rifle. It almost seems as if the tip of the bullet gets stuck against the roof of the barrel when its trying to feed. Maybe this is too broad of a question to answer without seeing it in person lol. I've done everything thw guys at the gun shop suggested with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronw1717 View Post
    The place i bought it from gave me a number to call but it always just goes to voicemail. Its a cz vz 58. I can put a round manually into the chamber and it will fire perfectly. Once it tries to chamber the second round, it will go half way from the magazine up the feed path and get stuck at an upward angle. The rounds sit snug in the magazine. Not sure what brand the magazines are. They have no markings and came with the rifle. It almost seems as if the tip of the bullet gets stuck against the roof of the barrel when its trying to feed. Maybe this is too broad of a question to answer without seeing it in person lol. I've done everything thw guys at the gun shop suggested with no success.
    Crap, I was going to say it sounds like you had a half a cartridge stuck in the chamber(case head sep.), but I guess not!
    Interesting.
    If possible, recreating the issue in a video or picture for us may help.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Hmmm 'K, so you're not being too gentle with the charging handle then, if it won't feed the second round by itself...I really lean towards the mags. Have you tried only loading two rounds? Is it an effort to get "all" five in the magazine?
    It sounds (from my keyboard, lol) like the mags are releasing the cartridge too quickly (loose lips, maybe a touch spread in front) or that the mags aren't seated correctly(maybe too low, and the cartridges are trying to make like a ship fired missile up the feed ramp). I don't suppose you're close to me? Maybe even just post your province and see if there's anyone around you to help, or loan you a mag or three?
    I'll take a picture of cartridges in my mags in a bit.

Hum, you say it "almost" looks like the rounds get stuck upwards when it's trying to feed? Could you expand on this?

Let's see, more questions...
    Metal mags, yes?
    This is chambered in 7.62x39, or .223?
    You're not gripping it by the mag when you're firing it? (Bit of a reach here)
    CSSA CCFR

^ What he said
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

first I want to say thanks for for the help thus far. you've all been awesome. these are some pics of my problem. Theyre metal mags, ive tried loading 2 rounds before. I don't think the problem is the mags gripping the rounds too loosely. theyre fairly snug. It's chambered in 7.62. I live In Edmonton. Ive talked to quite a few people at the gun range and nobody seems to know what the problem could be.

Hum, the plot thickens. Good pics! Really doesn't look like a mag problem from them.
    The first picture is where the cartridge ends up stuck?
    The second is as far as the bolt will push them forward? And then if you ease the bolt back so the round centers a bit it will chamber?
    Your mag lips do look fine in the third pic...

Weird that it does it with two rounds as well, that means feeding from both sides of the mag is a problem...

Where your Snap Caps are scored on the shoulder seems suspicious. Try dragging a Q-Tip back through the chamber and see if there's a rough spot that catches Q-Tip fuzzies; it may also be catching the mouth of the case? While you've got the Q-Tip out, check under the rails as well.

Does the chambered brass have any repetitive scarring on it?
    Last edited by Strewth; 10-05-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    CSSA CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Hum, the plot thickens. Good pics! Really doesn't look like a mag problem from them.
    The first picture is where the cartridge ends up stuck?
    The second is as far as the bolt will push them forward? And then if you ease the bolt back so the round centers a bit it will chamber?
    Your mag lips do look fine in the third pic...

Weird that it does it with two rounds as well, that means feeding from both sides of the mag is a problem...

Where your Snap Caps are scored on the shoulder seems suspicious. Try dragging a Q-Tip back through the chamber and see if there's a rough spot that catches Q-Tip fuzzies; it may also be catching the mouth of the case? While you've got the Q-Tip out, check under the rails as well.

Does the chambered brass have any repetitive scarring on it?
    I'm having the exact same issue. Only with my 858 it usually jams up on the first round chambered from the mag. What causes stuff like this? How was ur issue solved?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast