Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Best budget glass?

So I really REALLY wanted a Stevens 200 in .308. No one was willing to part with one, so I broke down and picked up a Savage Axis XP. All in I was under $300, but I knew I was going to have to swap out the scope (I don't trust a Bushnell Sharpshooter on anything bigger than a .22LR.)

So I'm hunting for a scope. 3-9x40ish mm, maybe with a BDC reticle because I'm kinda lazy like that.

I'm not too keen on spending more than $275 all-in, $300 at the absolute MAX this is a cheap gun and will probably get relegated to backup status if I like this hunting thing, but I know the importance of spending SOME money on glass. Basically, I'm going with the best that I can AFFORD right now.

Here's what I've found so far:

Nikon Prostaff II - Nice glass, turrets seem pretty good (again, I'm more of a set it and forget it guy) not really liking the BDC reticle.
    Vortex Diamondback - Again, Nice glass, good turrets and the BDC is a little more intuitive.
    Bushnell Legend - Really wasn't impressed with the glass. Didn't fiddle with the turrets, and if they're anything like the last couple of Bushnells I've owned, I'll need needle nose pliers to adjust them.
    Redfield - Haven't really had a chance to look at these... Looks like any of the offerings would fit the bill, be it the Revolution, Revenge or Battlezone. After all, these are made by Leupold these days, right? So they have to be half decent.

So with what little research I've done, I can successfully narrow it down to two (well... four) scope options. Much as I like the Nikon's glass (I think it was the clearest and brightest of the bunch) I just wasn't a fan of their BDC reticle, and the Bushnell just wasn't that clear at all.

As of right now the Vortex is leading the way, but I still haven't gotten a really good look at the Redfields yet.

Is there anything else I should consider? This won't be a long-range rig, but I do want to be able to take a 250-300 yard shot if it presents itself. Past that distance I'll be ringing steel gongs or punching paper once in a while.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Mueller if you can get it - great glass, low cost. Their tac 2 has been put thru 7 kinds of hell by me and a buddy and still works awesome.

I thought I would never buy anything but Zeiss, Swarovski, or NF..but I bought a Vortex. I haven't really put it through it's paces but just installed it on my 17hmr and seems to work good so far.

To stretch those pennies, I'd look at a used scope. A bushnell 3200 or Leupold rifleman should come in around $200 used.

I have a couple Bushnell Elite/3200's in the safe. Much better than their cheaper offerings. A 3-9x40 should come in near your $300 mark. I'm thinking Vortex is a possibility for my next scope if I can't swing the Zeiss I really want. Bought a pair of their binoculars last year and I'm some kind of impressed. Warranty is pretty kickass on them too.

Bushnell Legend - Really wasn't impressed with the glass. Didn't fiddle with the turrets, and if they're anything like the last couple of Bushnells I've owned, I'll need needle nose pliers to adjust them.
    Really?
    Picked up one of these : http://www.bushnell.com/all-products...x-40mm-doa-600
    for my buddy's 7mm, and it's one of the nicest scopes I've ever used. Amazingly clear. Granted, I haven't tried it at first legal shooting light yet, but ona dreary, rainy day at the range it was still crystal clear.
    Turrets adjust easily with finger tips, and are adjustable for zero.
    After taxes, I think it was ~$300 on sale at WSS. Just looked it up, $259 now.
    The DOA reticle isn't too busy or intrusive as many of them are, and the crosshairs are fine enough for fine target work, with the thicker duplex part thick enough to pick up quickly.

I have the Elite 3200 3-9x40 with DOA on my Weatherby Vanguard. A 3-9x40 Legend on the muzzle loader. The Elite is hands down clearer (especially at the edges of the glass) and brighter at low light. I like that the crosshairs are sort of brassy rather than black as well, much easier to see against the bush at dawn and dusk.

tagged, interested in the same.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Turrets adjust easily with finger tips, and are adjustable for zero.
    If they look anything like this:Then yes, I need needlenose pliers.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    ^^^He's got bigger fingers than most^^^

Grizz....I've got a 3x9 Redfield on my Browning BAR in 300 win mag. It's never moved off center, and it's wacked a few deer. Although I'd rather have something with more magnification when messing around at the range, this one does the job while hunting. No complaints about it at all.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast