Martyr of Traditional Anarchy Mad Hatter's Avatar

Pistol Recoil Reduction Systems

Anyone had any experience with this system?

http://www.dpmsystemsusa.com
    Our gun laws are so strict that it's like having a complete gun ban but with Vaseline...

Never seen that one before but tried one very similar way back. They don't really do much, except lighten your wallet by a bit.

Someone more knowledgeable than me could give you the genuine breakdown but it's essentially like this. Recoil is based on the weight of the bullet, the velocity it leaves the muzzle, and the weight of the gun to counteract that. Grip angle, action type ( semi, revolver, bolt, single shot ) are all about '' felt recoil '' which is both subjective and debatable.

The only way that you can defy the laws of physics is to basically cheat. You can redirect the propellant gases at the muzzle to counteract the direction of recoil, or you can use a gas or mechanical counterweight system to move in the opposite direction of the bullet to negate it's impulse.

This thing doesn't look like it does any of that.

Save your money I'd say.
    Last edited by mtlgun; 10-11-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Martyr of Traditional Anarchy Mad Hatter's Avatar
    I think all it does is progressively slow the slide and ultimately prevent it from contacting the frame with any amount of force at the end of its travel. But good advice non-the-less.
    Our gun laws are so strict that it's like having a complete gun ban but with Vaseline...

Wouldn't a softer spring reduce felt recoil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OEM View Post
    Wouldn't a softer spring reduce felt recoil?
    The theory behind the new Gen4 Glock double-stage spring is to be more progressive so it starts soft, then builds to the hard part of the spring, before returning to the soft spring.

You're talking about something that lasts a mere fraction of a second, but I had the 10mm version and I really did find the "snap" to be more manageable.

The whole idea of 'felt recoil management' rather than actual 'recoil reduction' is that you extend the recoil pulse over a longer period of time. Lets say someone pushes you suddenly and sharply. Your body probably goes back pretty sharply. But - if that SAME energy was used to push you but they did it over TWICE the time, you probably wouldn't even go back at all, your body would be able to resist. Spread that over 4 times as much time and you might not really feel it at all. Same idea - if the impulse wave is spread over a longer time - say 2 nanoseconds instead of 1 - then your body manages it a lot better and you don't 'feel' it as much.

Obviously this set up is designed with the idea that instead of instant harsh 'short impulse' recoil it builds up a little more slowly and is spread over a slightly longer time. In theory it should reduce how you feel the recoil a little. Only those who've used it will be able to say if it succeeds.