Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Crayon "Gun" Subjects 5-year-old to Suicide/Homicide Screening and Non-Violence "Contract"

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/ar...-contract.aspx

Crayon "Gun" Subjects 5-year-old to Suicide/Homicide Screening and Non-Violence "Contract"
    Posted on October 17, 2014

E.R. Dickson Elementary School in Mobile, Ala., has introduced two new vocabulary words into their kindergarten curriculum: homicide and suicide. Local media outlets report that a 5-year-old was forced to fill out a bizarre safety agreement and risk assessment questionnaire containing those words after making an innocent gesture with a crayon.

The kindergartner's mother told Mobile NBC affiliate WPMI that her daughter initially came to the attention of school officials after she drew an object resembling a firearm and "pointed a crayon at another student and said, 'pew pew.'" After the crayon incident, the child was made to fill out a "suicide/homicide assessment scoresheet" that included questions about how often she felt depressed, "past thoughts of hurting self" and "frequency of suicidal ideas." The 5-year-old was then made to sign a "contract" vowing not to kill others or commit suicide, all without a parent present. School officials also recommended that the kindergartner see a psychiatrist.

Understandably upset, the mother told WPMI, "My child interrupted us and said, 'What is suicide mommy? Daddy what is suicide?'... As a parent that's not right. I'm the one should be able to talk to my child and not have someone else mention words like this in front of her at all."

According to AL.com, the questionnaire and contract are part of a "one size fits all" policy for dealing with threats of violence. The story goes on to note that following the incident receiving national media exposure, Mobile County Superintendent Martha Peek has promised to "rework" current policy. Good idea. While any response other than perhaps verbal correction and removal of the crayons was unnecessary in the present case, the district's policy reflects the same sort of nave, uninformed, and magical thinking that underlies most forms of gun control. Putting aside the farcical notion that signing a "contract" could actually deter homicidal or suicidal behavior in the first place, five-year-olds are legally ineligible to form binding contracts.

Unfortunately, the type of zero-tolerance abuse at E.R. Dickson is all-too familiar, with other students across the country facing punishment for squirt guns, pointing fingers in the shape of a gun, and even a creatively eaten breakfast pastry. Incidents like these have led NRA to support legislation in states like Florida and Oklahoma to help stop zero-tolerance abuse. Legislation enacted in Florida makes clear that "[s]imulating a firearm or weapon while playing or wearing clothing or accessories that depict a firearm or weapon or express an opinion regarding a right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is not grounds for disciplinary action or referral to the criminal justice or juvenile justice system."

The Mobile County Public Schools' outrageous behavior in this instance should prompt Alabama lawmakers to consider this important zero-tolerance reform. In the meantime, the Mobile County Public School officials responsible for needlessly subjecting a 5-year-old to decidedly mature subject matter might want to consider their own advice regarding psychiatric help.

===================================

says it all

Just when you think this level of stupidity in schools is starting to ease up they go and drag more people into the poop.

Disgusting. Adults need to stop forcing their neuroses on kids and just let them be kids. This kid is so innocent she doesn't even understand the concept of what she's being told not to do. It wasn't even on her radar, but now it sure as hell is. Good job, "educators."
    I like guns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynetheman View Post
    Just when you think this level of stupidity in schools is starting to ease up they go and drag more people into the poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    Disgusting. Adults need to stop forcing their neuroses on kids and just let them be kids. This kid is so innocent she doesn't even understand the concept of what she's being told not to do. It wasn't even on her radar, but now it sure as hell is. Good job, "educators."
    Like I said at the end of the OP..

This sort of thing would never happen in Florida.
    There ought to be a law!
    ('Toaster Pastry Freedom Act' passed in Florida, May 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaPopTartBill
    Simulating a firearm or weapon while playing includes, but is not limited to:
    1. Brandishing a partially consumed pastry or other food item to simulate a firearm or weapon
    2. Possessing a toy firearm or weapon that is 2 inches or less in overall length
    3. Possessing a toy firearm or weapon made of plastic snap-together building blocks
    4. Using a finger or hand to simulate a firearm or weapon
    5. Vocalizing an imaginary firearm or weapon
    6. Drawing a picture, or possessing an image, of a firearm or weapon
    7. Using a pencil, pen, or other writing or drawing utensil to simulate a firearm or weapon
    Last edited by RangeBob; 10-18-2014 at 02:42 PM.

It's not all schools.

When I was overseas we had all sorts of "To any Canadian soldier in Afghanistan" letters sent to us from kids of all ages in Canadian schools.

Some of them had very comical crayon drawings of soldiers shooting bad guys and blood spraying everywhere.

Not all teachers are hyper paranoid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    This sort of thing would never happen in Florida.
    There ought to be a law!
    ('Toaster Pastry Freedom Act' passed in Florida, May 2014)
    Indeed and that law passed in FL needs to be adopted everywhere.. so this pathetic BS is forced to stop

Quote Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post
    Indeed and that law passed in FL needs to be adopted everywhere.. so this pathetic BS is forced to stop
    After the Florida pastry in question was open carried,
    "Park Elementary School officials later offered counseling to other students who may have been traumatized by the pastry."
    [Can I get a face palm]

The legislators, wondering why they had to write legislation for something that should be common sense, went the other way "The bill also includes a section mandating counseling for school officials who fail to distinguish between guns and things that resemble guns."

Back in Alabama (original post) Mobile County School officials, recommended Thursday that young Elizabeth (the 5 year old in question) see a psychiatrist. As of Friday afternoon they now advise that the incident would be evaluated.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    After the Florida pastry in question was open carried,
    "Park Elementary School officials later offered counseling to other students who may have been traumatized by the pastry."
    [Can I get a face palm]

The legislators, wondering why they had to write legislation for something that should be common sense, went the other way "The bill also includes a section mandating counseling for school officials who fail to distinguish between guns and things that resemble guns."

Back in Alabama (original post) Mobile County School officials, recommended Thursday that young Elizabeth (the 5 year old in question) see a psychiatrist. As of Friday afternoon they now advise that the incident would be evaluated.
    Sad isn't it....

I that was my kid, I'd probably be in jail and a teacher'd be getting fitted for dentures. Of course that's just my opinion and has no bearing on what might really happen....So, constables, nothing to see here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast