Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand quality?

Brand quality?

Hey, I just wanted to get some first-hand knowledge from some owners out there on a couple brands of shotguns. (But preferably someone who's used all 3!)

Maverick 88
    Mossberg 500
    Remington 870

I'm forming a bit of a list of things I want, and a good pump-action shotgun is always high on there! Is there a huge difference between the Maverick and Mossberg? I've held both at dealers and they're both really lightweight, and that gives it the feeling like it's delicate, while the remington felt very solid. In the end, will all 3 survive equally well during normal use?

I've read mixed reviews of all 3, and I've only had experiece (if you can call 5 shots at Target Sports experience! :-P) with the remington.

Also, does the design of the elevator make any difference? Since on the Mossberg/Maverick it's mostly open, while on the remington it covers the entire loading port.

What I'm hoping to find is that the Maverick will hold up just as well as any of the others so I can spend $200 instead of $600 :-P

Oh, also something a bit unrelated, when I do buy a pump-action, I'm hoping to get something multi-purpose, that I can shoot anything through and get a feel for what I'd like down the like when I get a more specialized shotgun. Long story short, is getting something like the Maverick 88 20" 8-shot security something I could use with any sort of accuracy, or would the spread be too much on it for something like skeet?

Thanks for reading, and any information you can toss my way!

I have a Maverick 88. I've got over 6500 rounds through, cleaned it maybe 3 times. I've dropped it, kicked, thrown it. It's been put through mud, sand, water, dirt, snow, sleet, rain, hail. Hot and cold temperatures. I've shot so many rounds continuously that the barrel started to change color and there was no chance in hell of touching the barrel it was so hot. All I've "repaired" on it is replace the mag spring and follower. I run a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing stock on it now as well. It's light, reliable, throws slugs satisfactorily, and was cheap to buy. As far as I'm concerned, I have the AK47 of shotguns.

I highly recommend getting one with the 18" and 28" barrel combo package. That gives you the versatility to, with the spin of a cap and 20 seconds, switch from a blasting/defence barrel to a hunting/target barrel.

I'm looking at getting a Mossberg 590A1 as a "tactical" project gun for giggles and zombie defence. I prefer the Mossberg design over Remington when it some to the action release button. With the Remington, it's in front of the trigger guard, with the Mossberg it's behind it. Because of my small hands, I have to completely shift my grip to hit that action release on the Remingtons. On my Mossberg, I drop my middle finger behind the guard and I have the button with no shift of my grip. The Knoxx stock I have now has kind of screwed that up, but it's still an easier motion to do than moving my whole hand forward on the gun.
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 05-12-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

No big differences in quality.

Safety and slide release position is the biggest factor.

Only big issue for me is the finish on the 870 express series with the matt finish. Every one I have seen has rusted and needs lots of care and maintenance!
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

I'm Also leaning towards the Mossberg 590a1 because of the safety and action release. Plus the finish is higher quality apparently.

LOL.... Mossberg.... I know they make decent shotguns but I just can't buy anything from a company that makes stuff like this.....

It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

that's what i thought too brad. luckily, they do make 2 good guns. the Maverick 88 and the 590A1. i did however send them a letter basically asking WTF? with regard to the screwy designs. in response, they sent me a free mag spring and follower. lol.

i don't let a company's oddball designs turn me off of their good stuff. if i did, i never would have bought the Maverick I have, which has turned out to be an incredible gun. if anything, you have to hand it to Mossberg. they figured out there's a tacticool, rambo wannabe sucker born every minute and created guns to cater to that market.

every company makes some nasty or crappy guns, Remington included (Model 770 for example).
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 05-13-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    that's what i thought too brad. luckily, they do make 2 good guns. the Maverick 88 and the 590A1. i did however send them a letter basically asking WTF? with regard to the screwy designs. in response, they sent me a free mag spring and follower. lol.

i don't let a company's oddball designs turn me off of their good stuff. if i did, i never would have bought the Maverick I have, which has turned out to be an incredible gun. if anything, you have to hand it to Mossberg. they figured out there's a tacticool, rambo wannabe sucker born every minute and created guns to cater to that market.

every company makes some nasty or crappy guns, Remington included (Model 770 for example).

Oh... no doubt bud.... I am a huge Rem fan and I can't even look at the 770.... I see your point on the tacticrap stuff....

People knock the 870 for quality nowadays (I should point out that mine is almost 20 years old...lol).... but honestly speaking, the price is great and the guns are pretty reliable and haven't increased much in price over those 20 years....

The old mavericks (circa 20 years...lol) were terrible.... I have heard that they beefed them up....

LOL... 20 years... goes to show how long it's been since I bought a pumpgun....lol

Hahah, thanks all for the info!

Looks like I'll go for a Maverick for my first pump, for the price, I don't think I can go wrong! And, yes, Mossberg makes some ridiculous shotguns, but they must make good money on them if they keep releasing new models :-P

This is the best information I've been able to find on these things, hahah, really helps deciding on what to buy. I've got a nice little list going so far, starting with some low-cost firearms (Mosin, Maverick) to learn on, so I don't go buying something high-end and then damaging it!

Thanks again!

No worries.... let us know how it goes!

I got a maverick 88 as well love the thing never had 1 problem with it at all but it will be sold soon it was replaced by a 8.5 grizzly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast