Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ruger MkIII Target, Browning Buckmark or Ruger 22/45.

I have three of the Norinco Colt Woodsman clones (22LR) that I use as a first teaching pistol and for the dueling tree. In our dueling sessions the winner is the first person that gets all of the plates to their opponents side, or the person with the most plates on their opponents side when time/ammo run out; I use a 30 round (3 mags) per person/30 second limit.

I have three of the pistols because they get dirty quickly and I can have a ‘fresh clean’ one available when one of the ones in use stops running.

Lately the dueling tree sessions have been determined on how fast they can clear a jam, jiggle the mag to get the ‘mag safety’ to disengage, claw the mag from the mag well and other issues not related to having fun shooting. It is no fun to run out of time with 19 rounds left.

So I’m in the market for replacements. Something that is good for: a first pistol; and good for smaller hands; and accurate/consistent; and durable; and shoots any 22LR.

I have looked at the three models in the title and am leaning towards the Ruger MkIII Target (bull barrel) in stainless with the addition of one of those mag safety removal bushings and the Majestic Arms speed strip kit. From what I have seen read the Browning and the 22/45 are more selective as to what they will shoot and more trouble to clean (I would like to be able to get by with just two).

So if you were purchasing two of the same model, which model would you choose (given my requirements), and why?

In my experience, the ruger will eat just about anything you feed it. I have no experience with the Brownings.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I had a 22/45 that just wouldn't eat hollow points. The lower edge of the feed ramp was a little short, and every 3rd or 4th round, it would snag the nose of the bullet. As long as I ran solid points, it was good times all day long. I haven't heard of another 22/45 doing this, so it might have just been my gun. Aside from that issue, the thing was an awesome little plinker.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I have a Ruger Mark 2 with a 5.5 inch bull barrel that i bought new in the early 80s , never a problem with the pistol , and it eats everything.....
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

It's hard to go wrong with quality and all of your choices are solid in that department.

22's are like people. Each one has it's own personality and quirks. Even in a quality gun you'll always find that one ammo that it hates for no reason other than just because. Overall though you should be fine with any of

your choices after they've had a chance to break in.

My personal preference would be the Ruger. It just balances better for me and feels a bit better in my hand. Overall there's more accessories and spares available for the Ruger so that's a bit of a bonus to.

Canada Ammo has a promo atm that's quite nice. I usually buy used for better value. It's hard to screw up a Ruger unless you try hard. You just need to be a bit patient and wait for the right price. Just like 10-22's

there's a bit of a bad habit in the used market to ask near retail ( or even more ) for MK 2's and 3's.

After that you just need a bit of time at the work bench to fab some base pad pull tabs and you're good to go.

Any of the 3 pistols will shoot as good. Regarding cleaning, if a full detailed strip is not within your mechanical aptitude, buy a Remington Action Cleaner Spray or any non-Chlorine based brake cleaner. Spray vigorously from the chamber down to the action assembly until the drippings are clear. Let it dry and lubricate with your CLPs or any of your favorite firearm lubricant. Don't forget to clean the barrel. I suggest to use a boresnake for pistols. I have used these 3 pistols extensively and my favorite among them is the Browning Buckmark Contour 5.25. Well balanced and eats almost anything from SVs and HVs except for Win Wildcat which is awfully inconsistent. Avoid Remys on any of these pistols. I found most Remys very dirty. My second choice will be the Ruger MkIII Target but will also go for the 22/45. Same Quality. Norinco is cheap but parts seems to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinilin View Post
    I have three of the Norinco Colt Woodsman clones (22LR) that I use as a first teaching pistol and for the dueling tree. In our dueling sessions the winner is the first person that gets all of the plates to their opponents side, or the person with the most plates on their opponents side when time/ammo run out; I use a 30 round (3 mags) per person/30 second limit.

I have three of the pistols because they get dirty quickly and I can have a ‘fresh clean’ one available when one of the ones in use stops running.

Lately the dueling tree sessions have been determined on how fast they can clear a jam, jiggle the mag to get the ‘mag safety’ to disengage, claw the mag from the mag well and other issues not related to having fun shooting. It is no fun to run out of time with 19 rounds left.

So I’m in the market for replacements. Something that is good for: a first pistol; and good for smaller hands; and accurate/consistent; and durable; and shoots any 22LR.

I have looked at the three models in the title and am leaning towards the Ruger MkIII Target (bull barrel) in stainless with the addition of one of those mag safety removal bushings and the Majestic Arms speed strip kit. From what I have seen read the Browning and the 22/45 are more selective as to what they will shoot and more trouble to clean (I would like to be able to get by with just two).

So if you were purchasing two of the same model, which model would you choose (given my requirements), and why?

I decided on the Ruger Mk III. Everything has now arrived.
    Two Ruger Mk III target pistols in stainless, with 2 magazines each
    Eight extra magazines. (kids break your stuff)
    Two Volquartsen MKIII Spring Magazine Ejectors (to be able to easily eject partial full magazines)
    One 8 /12 ounce soft faced mallet
    One ¼” poplar dowel.

I’ve already painted the sights, I find white rear / red front works well.
    Tomorrow I’ll get the magazine ejectors in and try my hand at the disassembly/reassembly (Ruger suggested the mallet and dowel)

Rugers.jpg

I have the Browning.

It shoots anything I feed it. Aftermarket for it isn't great. Though I have 5, extra magazines were hard to find. It's a tad heavy, but I like it. I think I've only disassembled it once out of curiosity. I don't even remember how, but I remember reading that the Ruger is easier. I've shot several Rugers and they're all great. I just wanted something different.

All 3 are great, but I'm partial to the Mark 2 & 3 myself. They look super cool..

The 22/45 with the Tactical Solutions pac-lite barrel is a damned good option. Lightweight to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinilin View Post
    I decided on the Ruger Mk III. Everything has now arrived.
    Two Ruger Mk III target pistols in stainless, with 2 magazines each
    Eight extra magazines. (kids break your stuff)
    Two Volquartsen MKIII Spring Magazine Ejectors (to be able to easily eject partial full magazines)
    One 8 /12 ounce soft faced mallet
    One ¼” poplar dowel.

I’ve already painted the sights, I find white rear / red front works well.
    Tomorrow I’ll get the magazine ejectors in and try my hand at the disassembly/reassembly (Ruger suggested the mallet and dowel)

Rugers.jpg
    Nice! A fine pair of guns they will be.

Where did you get the Volquartsen parts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast