Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    The aim of the safety course is to teach you about firearms, and show you how to use them safely. At the end of that course there is a practical test when you must demonstrate that you know how to use them safely. They'll put several types of guns in front of you, and you'll have to safely handle them all (proving them safe, loads, unloads, knowing which type/calibre of ammo goes in each, etc)
    Actually it's a bit of history, a few firearms types, and how to load/unload. Rather than how to use them safely -- which would require you to fire/carry the guns in a variety of environments.
    It's not so much "proving them safe" but "proving them unloaded".

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    If you are new to firearms, though, I strongly recommend that you do take the full safety course. Not only will they teach you about things like safe storage, the classification system, and different types of firearms, you'll actually get hands-on experience. It's well worth it. Your aim should be to be a responsible gun owner who knows what you're doing, not just to get a PAL.
    Yep.
    I discovered I hate loading gates. (Ironically, I'm considering buying a pair)

Ah ok I wish I knew that earlier I paid for the course already it's in french (I live in Quebec) but they said I could do the test in English. Ah well there will probably be something I migjt learn.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    ...It's not so much "proving them safe" but "proving them unloaded".
    I'll grant you that, but for the vast majority of people that's 90% of the battle. Unless you're hunting (which you need a separate course for anyway), the only time you should ever have ammo in the firearm is when you're ready to shoot it, anyway.

Manuals:
    http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...FSC-Manual.pdf
    http://firearmslaw.ca/wp-content/upl...FSC-Manual.pdf
    The paper ones are easier to read. In Ontario, there was a time they'd snail mail you the CFSC/CRFSC manuals for free, not even postage.

Also
    http://www.atlantichuntered.ca/lessons/huntered.pdf

Or look in the legalities section. There is a sticky that covers all the links you need. Includine online manuals, practice tests etc. Sorry RB, yer a couple years late this time lol
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    BTW...in the title of your thread, you said "hunter safety course". We're all assuming you are talking about the "firearms safety course". At least I think that's what we're all thinking.

A hunter safety course is a totally different thing, and varies from province to province.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

I took it to mean that he was asking if he had to take his hunter safety course before the firearms safety course (?)

Maybe because they're often advertised as a combo?

Well It was more should I take he hunting course before apply fory PAL. Wondering that if I didn't would I have to re apply again in the future to update my license should I choose to start hunting. People answered I do not have to. And then the conversation shifted because someine suggested the possibility of chanllenging the course and I didn't know what that meant. I will be taking the non restricted course since I paid for it already. And I will take the restricted course for since I've only had one day of shooting hand guns. I want to make sure I can learn more so as to be properly informed and safe. Thanks everyone this is my first post and has been good to read all the info shared.

Great idea and I commend you for not trying to fast forward through something that should be taken seriously.

You definitely do have to take an extra course at some point though if you ever want to hunt anything. That's called the hunter safety course, and even after that you have to go through extra hoops depending on the types of animals you'll be shooting.

Thanks I will also have to find a animal that I really like to eat. Wouldn't shoot it just for fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast