Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do I need to take the hunting safety course before applying for my PAL

Hey Next week I am taking my non restricted course safety course. I was wondering how the licensing worked for PAL. At first I only plan on getting a rifle to practice target shooting. But I'm sure eventually as money becomes more available lol I will probably like to get a restricted firearm. So I thought to myself I should just do the restricted course also before applying for the PAL. Eventually I'm sure I will want to go hunting is it something that can be just added to my file or will I have to spend money and reply for another license?
    Thanks for your time.

No you just take the PAL course (or just challenge the test until Harper's New bill comes in).

Ok thanks. Also I don't get your comment on Harper's bill I am ignorant of that subject.

Harper is putting forth a bill to do with firearms ownership. Part of that bill states that people will no longer be allowed to challenge the PAL exam, they must pay and take the entire course.

The CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course) is required before you can apply for your PAL.
    If you pass the CRFSC (Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course), your PAL is modified to have the word "restricted" available under both Possession and Acquisition categories -- meaning you can buy restricted firearms.
    Many people take the CFSC and the CRFSC together, so their first PAL includes both non-restricted and restricted.
    The instructor of the CFSC/CRFSC will send a copy of your test results to the Canadian Firearms Program, and you will also send a copy(s).
    The PAL is a federal document.

The Hunter Course has no effect on your PAL. I believe its a provincial course in all provinces.

Perfect thank you.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    The CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Course) is required before you can apply for your PAL.
    If you pass the CRFSC (Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course), your PAL is modified to have the word "restricted" available under both Possession and Acquisition categories -- meaning you can buy restricted firearms.
    Many people take the CFSC and the CRFSC together, so their first PAL includes both non-restricted and restricted.
    The instructor of the CFSC/CRFSC will send a copy of your test results to the Canadian Firearms Program, and you will also send a copy(s).
    The PAL is a federal document.

The Hunter Course has no effect on your PAL. I believe its a provincial course in all provinces.
    Nope. Until the "Common sense firearms legislation" passes, which it has not yet, you can still challenge either exam without actually sitting through the course.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

It doesn't bother me to take a course but what would the challenge be?

The aim of the safety course is to teach you about firearms, and show you how to use them safely. At the end of that course there is a practical test when you must demonstrate that you know how to use them safely. They'll put several types of guns in front of you, and you'll have to safely handle them all (proving them safe, loads, unloads, knowing which type/calibre of ammo goes in each, etc)

When you "challenge" the course, you skip the lessons, pay less, and only do the practical test at the end. Think of it like taking Driver's Ed to learn how to drive, and then taking your test to get your Driver's License, or if you already know how to drive, you can just go take the test and skip Driver's Ed.

If you are new to firearms, though, I strongly recommend that you do take the full safety course. Not only will they teach you about things like safe storage, the classification system, and different types of firearms, you'll actually get hands-on experience. It's well worth it. Your aim should be to be a responsible gun owner who knows what you're doing, not just to get a PAL.

"Challenge" here means write the test without taking the course. If you are comfortable with that do it fast.
    pog mo thon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast