Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Warrior single shot review

I picked up a Warrior single shot, 20 gauge shotgun with a 16" barrel last week from Corwin Arms. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for inexpensive, single shot shotguns - especially if they have short barrels and come threaded for choke tubes. This one fits that bill perfectly.

It's made in Turkey and this is definitely not a high dollar gun. It comes with a few dings, scratches, and imperfections from the factory but for what you get compared to the cost, I think it's a real steal of a deal. These can currently be had for about $200 after shipping and taxes.

First off, I love that it folds completely in half. I have a Marlin Papoose carry bag that I no longer carry my Marlin Papoose in, so I thought I'd check to see if the shotgun would fit in it instead.

It does.

Along with a machete and a box of shells. It rides with me in the truck now pretty much everywhere I go.

It features an extractor, not an ejector and it comes with three choke tubes; an improved cylinder, an extended modified, and a full. The choke tubes aren't exactly high end though and haven't been built to exact tolerances. Of the three, the full choke tube was the only one with the correct constriction. The other two were pretty close though and I'm sure will work just fine.

I also replaced the sling swivels that it had for proper ones and the plastic bead sight doesn't exactly instill confidence. But so far it has proved to be sturdy enough and it did come with a second bead sight just in case the first one doesn't hold up. I'll be replacing it with a brass though as soon as it arrives.

Side note: Martin at Corwin Arms has amazing customer service skills. I contacted him about my concerns with the plastic sight and he is sending me a brass one free of charge. Now that's service, I'll definitely be back.

The trigger pull is quite heavy but as you'll see in the video below, this is an easy fix.

I've had mine out in the woods for a few days now and it's an absolute blast to mess around with. I've also had it out to the range to shoot some clays. Can you say "whippy"? LOL! With the short barrel it certainly moves quickly but I was still able to nail the clays with ease. I see it more of a bush / truck / quad gun than a serious hunting gun, but there's no doubt in my mind that this'll take any grouse silly enough to come within shooting distance. :-)

Can't see videos with my crappy satellite internet but enjoyed the review me have been eyeing one of these too. Did you pattern the chokes on paper too see how they preform?

Not all of them, only the modified so far, and not on paper, but on fresh snow. LOL! Use what you have, right? The modified had a total spread of about 30 inches (just over three 9 inch hand spans) at 35 yards (paces). You couldn't fit a bird or rabbit into the pattern anywhere. I'll see if I can find some big sheets of paper and do the other chokes and report back.

We have some at the local store and it's very similar, but barrels are 26", there's a camo version, and a pink camo version, both 20 gauge, only difference being the pink camo has a fixed choke. Action, trigger guard, and stock shape look identical to yours. These are branded "optima". And on the bottom flat of the receiver says "made in Turkey by laser arms company" and "imported by bell lifestyle in 2013", serial number is 8 digits. They work very well.

Now you've got me eyeing the 16" ones on the Corwin website....

The 16" one is definitely very handy. It's so easy to move through thick brush with. I really like mine. I'm getting a .22LR caliber insert for mine too. Should be here in a few weeks.

I already have a 14" Benelli SuperNova, but this is practically begging to take my money. I'd get the 20" though, because it doesn't take any more space than the 16" does folded up.

Until you unfold it....

Thanks for the review. I am hoping to see a 16" 410 under the tree this year.

great review. definitely worth considering
    thanks matt

Interesting, I've been pretty happy with my Turkish Yildiz in .410. It folds in half in a similar fashion but with a longer barrel and a fixed full choke. Came with some interesting looking wood on it as well, maybe Turkish walnut seconds? Adds character at any rate. The short barrelled 20 gauge idea I find appealing, a 12 gauge single in that length just seems like a little much, and the .410 is pretty limited for available shot sizes, and the three pellet buck is next to useless IMO. I think this little beauty would stow nicely in the rear storage seat of a quad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast