Fenix LD01 and Streamlight Microstream

fml, I had this all typed so nicely, about to hammer the post button and my computer decided I was a jerk, and it needed to teach me a lesson.

Anyways...

Gonna do a quick review and picture thread of two small EDC lights I think are really cool, and a lot of value for their small size and price.

First up is my fenix LD01.

Fenix LD01 in package

I bought this light back this summer from a local survivalist store that went out of business, everything on clearence and their loss was my gain. Amazon.com list the LD01 at 34.95US. Initially, I was in there buying a slightly larger EDC light, the LD12, but at less than retail cost, I took the LD01 as well and I'm glad I did.

My initial attraction to the light was pretty straight up and simple, it's a well regarded name brand LED light that takes a super common battery. Can't beat that. Previously my EDC lights were incandescent surefires (E1E, 6P, E2D) and while awesome lights I learned three valueble lessons. Lesson one, surefire incandescent bulbs are expensive as hell to replace. Lesson two, CR123 batteries are expensive. Lesson three, unless your in the city (I'm not) your only source of batteries is online, cause the country corner general store doesn't know what your talking bout.

Since purchase, this light has been carried everyday on my keychain, and seen lots of use around the yard and at work. Taking a single AAA battery, it's reasonable on battery life, and cheap & easy to keep in use.

It has three modes/run times:
    Low - 3 lumen - 27 hours
    Medium - 26 lumen - 3 hours 8 minutes
    High - 72 lumen - 1 hour 27 minutes

Turning on is done by twisting the head (like a maglight), and to change modes you quickly twist off, and twist back on (inside about 1.5 seconds). Downside is it doesn't have a memory, it always comes on medium and you have to cycle through medium, low, high in that sequence to get the mode you want. Advantage over the twist compared to a button to turn the light on, is I won't run my light dead by having the button accidently press when sitting down.

LD01 goodies

Included with the light is a spare O ring seal and a pocket clip. The light is tiny, measuring 76.2mm length x 14mm diameter, it weighs 14.2 grams without battery. It's shockproof to a meter and IPX-8 waterproof (submersible 2m). I've been carrying this since day one, and really like it on my keychain. It's handy and always on me, I wouldn't hesitate to gift one, or buy another if I lost it.

this next one won't be as long, since I just got it for Christmas, but it seems like a simple, solid light. Just like my LD01, the Streamlight Microstream is an LED light that runs on a single AAA battery. Unlike my LD01, it has a push button tailswitch and only a single mode throwing a useful 25 lumen beam for 2 hours and 15 minutes of constant use.

Microstream in Package

I didn't pay anything, since it was a Christmas gift, but a quick check on Amazon.com gives me a street price of $18.78USD. It's 90mm long x 15 mm diameter. It's shockproof to a meter and IPX-4 water proof (can be splashed, but don't take it for a swim)

Included with the light is a single battery and a long break away lanyard.

One Streamlight feature I like is the pocket clip, it doubles back onto itself, allowing it to be clipped to the peak of a hat for hands free operation.

comparing the two side by side.

While the Streamlight is very new to me, I'm pleased with its solid construction, and the lights have a good reputation for reliability. I'll update this post once I have a bit more time using it in the field.
    Last edited by gallen270; 12-26-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Hey, thanks for the Christmas review! I love my Fenixes..'s? s'? although I only beat up the one...LD10 I think? Two years of pocket lint, all weather exposure, being beat against a Kershaw, and dropped a lot have not affected it at all. My other two sit pretty in a drawer.
    Curious to hear more about the Streamlight, they have an excellent reputation.
    CSSA CCFR

I have several fenix lights, from the smaller than my finger E05 to the maglight replacing TK60. I have not gotten any of their newer models as what I have so far fills my needs. (I'm a bit of a flashlight guy :P)

Since the LD01 and E05 share a similar design I thought I should share where my E05 failed after being on my keychain for a year. The positive contact in the head is very thin copper and eventually wears away leaving you unable to turn on the light.
    This is mine after only a couple months of use, as you can see its already worn away a bit.

I have EDCd my PD31 for close to 4 years now and it gets used almost every day, it is a freaking BEAST. It has taken one hell of a beating from me and the rigors of being in the field and just keeps on working.

Enjoy your new lights!