Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

44 rem mag and Win296 powder

So, I want to do up some full pop loads for my 44 Rem mag.....and by full pop, I mean, as mean as they get. On Friday, I grabbed a pound of Win296 powder. I'll be using 240 grain cast semi-wad cutters. I've got a few manuals, and of course, they all show slightly different maximums. If some of you guys wouldn't mind, could you browse through your literature and see what the max charge for a 240 grain bullet is with Win296 powder ? They'll be used in a Ruger Redhawk revolver (read:built like a tank).

Thanks.

Hornady #7 240gr cast, powder not listed. 240gr jacketed, powder not listed. Under THOMPSON TC RIFLE DATA 240 jacketed Win296 starts 24.0gr = 1600 fps, ends 25.5gr = 1750 fps. Under generic RIFLE DATA jacketed, it tops out 25.0gr = 1800fps.

Speer #13, RIFLE DATA 240 jacketed tops out 24.0gr. Pistol data, 250 cast tops 23.0gr, jacketed again tops out 24.0gr.

Lyman #48 - RIFLE DATA 240 cast , powder not listed. 240 jacketed max 24.0gr. PISTOL DATA - powder not listed.

Just to avoid a dyslexia moment, let me be clear: there is zero data for Win296 with 240gr cast bullets in any of the above. Just the one data point for 250's in the Speer book.
    Last edited by Redhouse; 04-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    What? I can have a SIGNATURE?

You should have hard cast gas-checked bullets to use with 296 for hot loads.

Personally, I would splurge and buy a box of XTPs.

I was thinking of grabbing a box of copper jacketed commercial bullets Joe...I just shoot reduced loads using Unique powder for my day to day needs. I just wanted to load up a box of full pop stuff so people I take to the range can have a chance to feel what the gun feels like with full house loads, so I'll just use my cast stuff. Accuracy won't be that great, and it might lead up a bit. Fortunately, the barrel is only 5" long and getting a bit of leading out isn't really a problem.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I have some XTP's left over from when I had my .44M lever gun, both 180's and 240's, you're welcome to them. Just have to come get em or remind me some day when we're heading to the range.
    What? I can have a SIGNATURE?

I used to shoot thousands ( silhouette targets) of 240 gr hard cast from my Redhawk and SuperBlackHawk and my S&W M29 - i used 23 grs of 296 with a magnum primer - always a good shooting load in all of my guns ! Rem
    375 H&H is "THE KING" & the 45-70 GOV is the Hammer of THOR

Quote Originally Posted by Redhouse View Post
    I have some XTP's left over from when I had my .44M lever gun, both 180's and 240's, you're welcome to them. Just have to come get em or remind me some day when we're heading to the range.
    Thanks Bro....I'll take you up on that. I know they aren't that expensive...I just figured, for what I want to do, why bother when I have so much cast stuff done up.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

240's with 23-24 gr. of either WW296 or h 110 ( same powder ) realy rock. But if you are after the whole shock and awe thing at the range try shooting a full house load behind a hard cast and water dropped 240 gr saeco Truncated cone G/C boolit at around 1500 ish FPS 8" BBL the blast anr recoil are feirce with hodgdon LIL Gun . But man does it do a number on the silywet targets ! Not to mention your spotter, Mine got up and left as the blast was too much to take!! Made me love it even more .

Cool. Thanks for the posts guys. If you ever want to try something unusual with a 44 mag....

Use IMR7828SSC magnum rifle powder. Just fill the case up to where the base of the bullet will rest..not a compressed load. Standard magnum pistol primer.
    Cap it off with a 240 grain flat base bullet.

Redhouse and I were putting them through his Chroney at a consistent, BLISTERING, 495 FPS !!! LOL. My Redhawk was kicking like I was firing 22LR cartridges. The purpose of my little experiment was to create a huge fireball at the end of the barrel as the majority of the slow burning powder wouldn't be burnt before the bullet exited the barrel. No luck unfortunately. I couldn't see the flash in the daylight. I think I'll make up a few more of those and try them right at dusk sometime this summer.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 04-13-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

Owner - Tundra Supply jonanddad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the posts guys. If you ever want to try something unusual with a 44 mag....

Use IMR7828SSC magnum rifle powder. Just fill the cast up to where the base of the bullet will rest..not a compressed load. Standard magnum pistol primer.
    Cap it off with a 240 grain flat base bullet.

Redhouse and I were putting them through his Chroney at a consistent, BLISTERING, 495 FPS !!! LOL. My Redhawk was kicking like I was firing 22LR cartridges. The purpose of my little experiment was to create a huge fireball at the end of the barrel as the majority of the slow burning powder wouldn't be burnt before the bullet exited the barrel. No luck unfortunately. I couldn't see the flash in the daylight. I think I'll make up a few more of those and try them right at dusk sometime this summer.
    pick me pick me I want to come see it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast