Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonanddad View Post
    pick me pick me I want to come see it
    No problem. I should load up more of those confetti and flour bomb 12 gauge shells too. One of these days.....
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Haha ya shoot those then a full house load when you're not used to .44. SURPRISE!
    What? I can have a SIGNATURE?

Owner - Tundra Supply jonanddad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    No problem. I should load up more of those confetti and flour bomb 12 gauge shells too. One of these days.....
    those were fun

The OP didn't say what kind of fire arm, revolver or rifle, and if revolver, what kind. It does make a difference. Over the years I have owned five different 44 mag revolvers, two S&W and three different Ruger Blackhawks, plus tw Marlin 44 mag rifles.
    They tell us that H110 is the same powder as W296. I used H110 before I got W296 and no, I could see no difference in them. 25 grains was the maximum I used, but usually 24 or 24.5 grains. I shot big pistol silhouette competition for a few years, where shooting was to 200 metres. The original load that Elmer Keith used in developing the 44 mag was 22 grains of 2400. This load is a bit heavier than 24.5 of W296/H110. It chronographed a little higher. For silhouette shooting I loaded them down a little, 20 grains of 2400, for a little easier to shoot and it made almost no difference in the trajectory to 200 metres. I think it was just one more click of elevation on the Ruger Blackhawk.
    I think these are top loads and shouldn't be increased. A bolt action rifle has a lot of leeway on pressure. Get a too heavy load and the bolt will stick. Get a, "Damn, didn't know it was that heavy," and it may need a piece of 2x4 to pound the bolt open, and you can then continue shooting.
    You do not have that luxury with a revolver. You have no practical method of knowing where the top levels are. You may shoot 20 rounds of heavy loads in a revlover, with no sign of excess pressure, but the 21st. round may blow the cylinder apart. Don't ask me how I know, but a 38 revolver, with a great deal less pressure than a 44 mag, makes an awful noise and a big ball of fire, when the cylinder blows apart!
    For your 44 mag, you do not require gas check bullets. The old Keith designed, 429421 flat base, will handle all these loads mentioned, with just old style wheelweight alloy.

Redhouse and I were putting them through his Chroney at a consistent, BLISTERING, 495 FPS !!! LOL. My Redhawk was kicking like I was firing 22LR cartridges. The purpose of my little experiment was to create a huge fireball at the end of the barrel as the majority of the slow burning powder wouldn't be burnt before the bullet exited the barrel. No luck unfortunately. I couldn't see the flash in the daylight. I think I'll make up a few more of those and try them right at dusk sometime this summer.
    I didn't think you could get a much better fireball than using max loads with 296 and a 240 gr. JHP! You can usually see quite a flash in daylight but near dusk or in an indoor range it's pretty impressive. I have a pic somewhere I will try and dig it up.

For H, from the original post.

..........They'll be used in a Ruger Redhawk revolver (read:built like a tank).
    What? I can have a SIGNATURE?

With a good cast bullet like the #429421 I've used 24.5 grs. of 296 or H-110 (they're the same), other gas checked cast bullets that are quite a bit heavier get slightly less of that powder.....280gr LFN GC get 23 grs. and 325 WFN GC get 20 grs...Good cast bullets can be loaded heavier then jacketed bullets as cast bullets build up less pressure, save the jacketed bullets for plinking...this is serious stuff.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It is greatly appreciated. Bruce...great to have you on the site. Thanks for coming. Right now, I only have 2 Lee molds for the 44....one round nose, and one SWC. I've had this Ruger Redhawk since 2007, and still love the gun. It's on the do not sell list, and will likely remain there. I'll look into buying a #429421 mold. Bruce, I think you recommended that bullet to me a few years back. For about 2 months, nobody had any 296 here in town. I didn't know about H-110 being the same thing. I'll have to log that one into the memory bank. Thanks again guys.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12