Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Semi-Automatic 17 HMR: Savage Arms A17

New Semi-Automatic 17 HMR: Savage Arms A17

In one of the biggest innovations we've seen here at the SHOT Show, Savage has solved the problem of cycling .17 HMR ammo through an autoloader. Savage made several changes to their standard autoloader design to make the A17 more reliable, but the biggest addition on the rifle is a special lug that locks the bolt in place for a millisecond, delaying blowback to allow most of the gases from burning powder to dissipate. The slight delay allows the bolt to cycle reliably. The steel receiver and chromed components create a surface to further enhance cycling. The A17 comes with a 10-round rotary magazine and adjustable Accutrigger. It features a button-rifled barrel, and the one I tested shot smoothly and accurately.

Savage has also worked with CCI to develop A17 ammunition that shoots 100 fps faster than standard 17 HMR cartridges. At 2,650 fps it will help ensure cycling in the rifle under cold conditions and when the gun has seen heavy use and is fouled.

Video at link: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...src=SOC&dom=fb
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Nice! At the proper price point it would be tempting. Always wanted to add a 17 hmr to the stable.

That's pretty cool!
    I had a Bolt action .17HMR at one point, Savage made, and it would shoot through the same hole between 40-100yards.

Interesting. There was another small manufacturer that had things figured out mid last year. I think it might've been an AR variant or something though, kinda limits sales potential North of the border.
    This does look interesting, how long until we get 17 WSM in a semi? 30 rounds + at centre fire power would be phenomenal....

Savage Arms went big at the 2015 SHOT Show by going small. In the process, the monolithic rifle manufacturer may have solved one of the trickier problems plaguing firearms design.

With the introduction of the A17 .17 HMR, the Massachusetts-based subsidiary of ATK looks to have produced a viable semiautomatic magnum rimfire. This is a feat other companies have attempted, but have fallen short.

Of course, cracking what has proven to be a tricky nut required some out-of-the-box thinking on Savage’s part. Where the company particularly broke with tradition is jettisoning the straight blowback action so common in rimfires for a delayed blowback system.

The company has outfitted the A17’s bolt with integrator lug that locks the bolt in place momentarily after a shot has been taken. It is just enough time to allow the majority of gases to disperse, thus allowing for the action to safely cycle without venting from the receiver. The design also keeps the breach block light, since it does not purely have to rely on weight to regulate the rifle’s cycling.

The A17 also utilizes a more robust construction to tackle the hotter rimfire rounds, of which the above video by the Kentucky Gun Company does a good job documenting . One of the most noticeable is the rifle’s burly action, which definitely appears robust enough to handled the extra pressure.

Savage has chromed the action’s components to aid in cleaning and cycling. It also includes its adjustable Accu-Trigger, allowing shooters to tailor the pull weight all the way down to 2.5 pounds. And the company has outfitted the firearm with a 10-round rotary magazine. Larger magazines should be available in the future.

As would be expected from Savage, the barrel is button rifled. However, at time of writing, the twist rate of the A17 was not available.

Savage must be fairly confident it has hit the sweet spot with its new rimfire, given it has worked with another ATK subsidiary to produce the hottest .17 HMR round available. CCI has cooked up A17 Ammunition, which the company boasts as being 100 fps faster than anything currently available on the market. At 2,650 fps, it should do the job on any varmint unlucky enough to wonder in front of it.

The Savage A17 presently has an MSRP around $470. The rifle should be hitting store shelves sometime in March 2015.

http://www.gundigest.com/guns/rifle-...agnum-rimfires

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Video review (.22plinkster)

Last edited by Prairie Dog; 03-16-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: change link

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Prairie Dog

jbw (02-07-2016)

Kind of late to the party, but wanted to add that the A17 is available in Canada for $550 at Cabela's, not sure if other retailers are carrying it though.

My local retailer had some in a few months ago.

2016 Rifle of the Year: Savage Arms A17

“Best in class” just about says it all. It announces to the world that you stand head and shoulders above your peers. To those companies whose products are featured herein, we say, “Welcome to the ‘best’ class.”

Rifle of the Year: Savage Arms A17
    With a muzzle velocity surpassing 2500 fps, the .17 HMR deserves a good semi-auto rimfire to shoot it and the Savage A17 at $465 is that rifle. Unlike straight blowback actions that open too quickly, the A17’s delayed blowback action does not open until pressure has dropped to manageable levels. The bolt has what Savage calls “dual controlled-round feed”; the extractor captures the case as it exits the magazine and holds it on the bolt face. Another stabilizing hook opposite the extractor on the bolt face also helps control the cartridge. What’s more, the 10-round rotary magazine solves feeding problems with rimmed cartridges, surmises Field Editor Bryce M. Towsley (“Hardware,” June ’15).

The rifle is “amazingly accurate,” writes Towsley: “I held three-shot groups easily to sub-MOA with several different ammo products. My best 50-yard group measured just .15 inch.

“The Savage A17 runs well,” he writes, “and given its outstanding accuracy, I think it’s going to become a favorite among hunters. Thirteen years after the .17 HMR arrived on the scene, it’s about time.”

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...vage-arms-a17/

I was eyeballing these in the latest Cabela's flyer.... Tempting, sort of cool, but a hair on the fugly side.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast