Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bettercallsaul View Post
    I like the idea of having a true 1x red dot with 3x and 9x magnifications built in. Just one big honkin knob to go from 1x to 3x to 9x. Super simple, super rugged. Leave it to a company with government contracts to charge up the wazoo.

I wonder if the Canadian Forces have any interest in this scope.

I've read some criticism about the weight: 2.2lbs. This seems spot on average with most high end glass w/ a high end cantilever QD mount.

FWIW, the scope looks damned cool, much like all other Elcan optics.
    I like the concept too Mr. Better. Even 4x can be too much at 100-150 yards so that range is really good. As far as weight goes, that's often a sign of high quality particularly when glass is involved. You can buy cheap 300mm lenses for the camera that come in at a few ounces. Then when you grab a Nikon at the same focal length it feels like two pounds. Weight , smoothness, clarity,durability and brightness all come with quality.
    NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel, Seraphim 9mm Warfighter, SIG P320 FS in 9mm with a .40 conversion and now a SIG P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm.

Leupold D-EVO:

Whips it real good.

US pricing $2400 USD That's 3k$ in loonies. What's not to love? The prisms in that thing probably go for $10k a pound. My setup came to about $2k in today's dollars. Me thinks I'll keep it.
    NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel, Seraphim 9mm Warfighter, SIG P320 FS in 9mm with a .40 conversion and now a SIG P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
    You all saw the D-EVO right?
    I just looked TV and it's an interesting setup. At 6x it's overkill for what I do but if you need that reach I'm sure it's a performer. I had a 1x Tactical Leupold prismatic before my current setup and it was remarkably bright and crisp. Leupold is good stuff but pricey which is true of all manufactures when you get into good glass. It's like camera lenses in that respect and that's why it's easy to blow $2k on a single Nikon lens and much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    There already is a perfect AR optic, by the way, it's called a Trijicon ACOG.
    LOL thats funny///

Ill take my Specter DR over an ACOG any day.... On my Mil spec C.C C8.

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    Ill take my Specter DR over an ACOG any day.... On my Mil spec C.C C8.
    You're certainly welcome to choose any optic you like, but I'm sorry to hear that you're using a rifle that's only Mil Spec.

There's always room for improvement, though, so Mil Spec is a good baseline to start from.

Anyone have any thoughts about this optic?

http://www.armament.com/specter-3x-optical-sight-0

I dunno Harb, but like most tools in the gun biz, it depends on your intended use. That looks to me to be aimed at the military. I'm learning but the lessons are expensive. If you are gaming, a 1x option is almost a necessity, at least to me as a lot of targets are at 25-30 yards and less and you really have to pick them up quickly with reasonable accuracy.

This optic is likely like the rest of that clan, heavy, expensive and with a focus on durability. I'm also learning that FOV is important on intermediate gaming targets as my humble brain gets lost in arrays and I can miss a target totally if I can't remember what I have already shot and get confused.

I didn't want to have to fiddle with controls during a stage and make things worse so that's why I chose the dually. I shoot the closer targets with the Deltapoint, then put the delta on the farther ones but drop my eye to the HAMR for the shot.

Like almost everything, everything depends on everything. Without doubt the most popular scopes are the mid priced variables at 1-4 or 1-6 and there are plenty of choices as 3 Gun grows and the markets along with it.

Maybe our club hasn't gotten fancy yet, but I've yet to run a stage where running variable 1-4, I felt the need to switch magnifications. That said - the furthest stage we setup was 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by harbl_the_cat View Post
    Maybe our club hasn't gotten fancy yet, but I've yet to run a stage where running variable 1-4, I felt the need to switch magnifications. That said - the furthest stage we setup was 100 yards.
    But are you comfortable with 3x at 20 yards? . I'm shooting a pretty big match here on Saturday. The longest shots will be 180 or so but I'll bet that 85% will be less than 50/60. I'm no speedster for sure but I have to get in the A zone as quickly as I can and still have my eyes scanning the four or five ahead of me especially when I can keep moving. Having that 1x to put out there on the longer shots prior to taking the shots at 4x sure helps me. My 1x is a 7 moa delta. I can use the tip of it at 100 and more but it's not ideal. I guess its a matter of preference and what compromises you can accept. At almost $1k for that Elcan, you can buy a pretty decent variable with a lot more flexibility.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast