Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Oh, they are not hard to find at all.....usually found in coffee shops across the country around 10 AM talking about the deer they missed out the truck window at four hunnert yards, which when paced out invariably turns into less than 100. Wasn't that Taliban with the Enfield firing from 400 yards ish?
    I heard 200 - maybe I was mistaken.

Sigh - I wish I had a range where I could shoot my AR's past 200... I'm guessing I'd have to aim a few feet over the target.

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
    Ya? And whats wrong with that? Am I supposed to go and pretend I am a Commando Zombie Killer?
    There is nothing "wrong" per say with that but you're kidding yourself if you think that makes you any better then the day you started out.

The only shooter I can say that I fully understand is the guy in the mirror when I shave. Some choices boggle my mind. When I have to here in Texas, I go to an indoor range almost exclusively to zero a new gun or to test a modification. Some times my day is ruined when a guy comes in and does one mag dump after another at three or seven yards. They blow through a box or two of ammo and for some reason go home happy. I'll never figure it out but I do see it fairly often. There are a few other behaviors I'll never understand but fortunately I don't have to. Live and let live is a pretty good slogan.
    NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel, Seraphim 9mm Warfighter, SIG P320 FS in 9mm with a .40 conversion and now a SIG P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by harbl_the_cat View Post
    Maybe our club hasn't gotten fancy yet, but I've yet to run a stage where running variable 1-4, I felt the need to switch magnifications. That said - the furthest stage we setup was 100 yards.
    I had a 450 yard shot on an IPSC flasher at the Ironman last year using .223 and the variable 1-6x. I was extremely thankful for the 6x.

I notice that most Canadian 3-gun matches are under 100 yards, but I'm hoping that changes

Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
    I had a 450 yard shot on an IPSC flasher at the Ironman last year using .223 and the variable 1-6x. I was extremely thankful for the 6x.

I notice that most Canadian 3-gun matches are under 100 yards, but I'm hoping that changes
    Not too many ranges that far - that's why

Funny, maybe I'm an idealist but I don't think it would be hard to find a Canadian rifleman, be he hunter, sportsman or military (present or former) who would have much trouble effectively engaging infantry at 200 yards.
    I'd guess most humans don't paint themselves white & stand upright not moving like competition targets do, so getting into a shooting match with any one is far down on my list to see what I'm effective at.

I have no idea what an ideal AR sight is. My first idea: mount a 10x mildot scope and a rds in an offset or maybe an above the scope mount.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

7. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Benito (02-20-2015)

...I don't think it would be hard to find a Canadian rifleman, be he hunter, sportsman or military (present or former) who would have much trouble effectively engaging infantry at 200 yards.
    It's harder than you would think, for three reasons:

1 - Lone Wolf is right, people rarely stand still and let themselves get shot in a combat environment;

2 - A chaotic combat environment is entirely different than a calm range environment. You can relax on a range and shoot with a pulse of 60, where as you've likely been running around with a lot of kit in a life and death environment, so your pulse is off the charts and your lungs are sucking wind. Even if the target is standing still, establishing a clean sight picture on them is not easy;

3 - A lot of people have been so sold on the new "cool" high-speed gunfighter/CQB style shooting from 10m that it gets too much emphasis at the cost of old-style marksmanship.

Those are some good points. I love run-n-gun, but I also like 100/200 static shooting too (I'd shoot further if I had a range to do it). My sign off for a rifle, including 3-gun designated rifles is they MUST be able to hit an IDPA target at 200 yards.

I think I'll work up some drills to do it on a timer, given that I've finally made that confirmation with all my rifles. Thing is under stress I can definitely see the advantage of a magnified optic. I struggle to see those brown cardboard targets against a clay backstop at 200 yards otherwise, but not with a 3 or 4x scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Whatever you think you can hit on a range with iron sights or a red dot from 200m, you can forget that in a hurry if you're in a real life/death situation. A 3-4x magnification optic is the only real way to have a reasonable chance of real world accuracy in the 200-300 range band.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree. Running and gunning hard, I can still ring the 12 inch gong at 200 with my norinco m14 every time. In a real world situation, I wouldn't have to worry about 5 rounds either. With full cap mags, you can double or triple tap if you're worried about hitting it the first time. As long as you wing it, it's going to slow down.

If you need magnification under 200 for "man sized targets" it means you need to practice more with the iron sights. The boys did it all the time in the great wars... On both sides of the fence.

I can understand magnification for hunting and the like where the little bit more precision is required and you have the time to take the shot.

You're allowed to respectfully disagree, due to your range experiences.

Gongs aren't a moving human being, and gongs don't shoot back.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Petamocto

bettercallsaul (02-14-2015)