Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    Just an additional conisderation I often note people miss - think about air flow regulation.

A good stove will allow for enough adjustment so that your wood burns slowly all night and produces even heat, rather than burns up its wood fast and you wind up roasting, then waking up freezing with your sleeping bag off because it was too hot. How a stove draws and how it constricts airflow when you need to is something you should keep in the back of your mind.
    I read up on this a bit while looking into a DIY stove. I came to the conclusion it's not happening until I buy a welder. Then I'm probably going to build one out of old propane tanks. The ammo can approach was interesting, and I was seriously considering cutting up a 120mm mortar box, but I'm just not happy with the firebox dimension I'd wind up with. (12x6x30 approx) And the other ones all seem a tad small for winter camping, most of the YouTube videos seem to be guys building these to use as a table top cook stove rather than tent heating....
    So anyway, I'm looking for a relatively airtight stove with dampers at both ends (in and out) for maximum airflow control. The hope is we can turn it down and let it smoulder away until the wee hours should the weather go to crap. Cooking will likely be outside under a tarp, fall hunt in bear country, I love bacon but I'm not frying it in my bedroom that time of the year.... The stove might see the morning cup of coffee, that's about it.

Just so happens I know a guy with a welder and a couple of propane tanks kicking around.
    How big of a fire box do you want?
    Do you have anything for chimney on hand or in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    - think about air flow regulation. .
    That's one of the things I liked about the stove I mentioned; the opening door has a sliding plate with holes and it comes with a stovepipe damper. It actually takes a little trial and error to have a small fire that burns slowly, and takes surprisingly little wood to do it.

There's other brands that are basically identical or have small differences if you look online; most are sold by walltent places. Whichever stove you go for I'd suggest playing with it before you go hunting to save yourself some aggrivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Just so happens I know a guy with a welder and a couple of propane tanks kicking around.
    How big of a fire box do you want?
    Do you have anything for chimney on hand or in mind?
    Looking for roughly 12"x12"x24" deep. Roughly....if it needs to be a little wider to utilize a 20lb tank or two it's not a big deal. A big enough door and damper are my main worries, I don't want to be feeding twigs all night, or be stuck pulling out ash with a tablespoon. As for chimney, I've tried a few home improvement and fireplace stores, but no one seems to be stocking 4" and 5" single wall stovepipe anymore. I'm kinda hesitant to bring galvanized ductwork up to high heat indoors, and 6" seems like beaucoup overkill for a stove this size.... If we're back to homade I'm open to suggestion there too...
    Last edited by kennymo; 02-24-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    That's one of the things I liked about the stove I mentioned; the opening door has a sliding plate with holes and it comes with a stovepipe damper. It actually takes a little trial and error to have a small fire that burns slowly, and takes surprisingly little wood to do it.

There's other brands that are basically identical or have small differences if you look online; most are sold by walltent places. Whichever stove you go for I'd suggest playing with it before you go hunting to save yourself some aggrivation.
    Looks like Wholesale carries one almost identical for about $30 less. Camp Chef brand? I wonder if the same gauge of sheet steel is used?

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Looking for roughly 12"x12"x24" deep. Roughly....if it needs to be a little wider to utilize a 20lb tank or two it's not a big deal. A big enough door and damper are my main worries, I don't want to be feeding twigs all night, or be stuck pulling out ash with a tablespoon. As for chimney, I've tried a few home improvement and fireplace stores, but no one seems to be stocking 4" and 5" single wall stovepipe anymore. I'm kinda hesitant to bring galvanized ductwork up to high heat indoors, and 6" seems like beaucoup overkill for a stove this size.... If we're back to homade I'm open to suggestion there too...
    Yeah, that whole inhaling zinc and dying thing would put a real damper () on a hunting trip.
    Some light 3" or so steel pipe should work, I'd think? You're not going to be running a foundry in there.
    Hmm, I think I might have an old driveshaft kicking around; that might work. Not real light, but not cast iron, either.

Stumbled across some cutoffs of a really light 4" pipe today at a supplier. There wasn't anybody in the yard to ask if it was up for grabs though....and there's cameras... I'll have to check back in later this week. Scored some nice big rectangular duct for my heat shield today too...

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    stoves aren't hard to build. Your average 5 gallon metal pail is thicker than the cheap air tights that most places sell.
    A door with a draft hole and cover and a flu pipe hole with a damper and yer set.
    also easy enough to make 6" black chimney pipe any size you want. It takes some time to rebend the "male" edge but it can be done. another option is to not bend the male edge, just put it into the female side then pop rivet the seam.
    My next tent stove came out of an old school water trough...I built a quad trailer with the trough and the wood heater is a bonus.
    It wasn't much good at holding water any more so it was a win/win.
    Buying whatever is available never gives you exactly what you want. Building your own gives you the opportunity to have it all and is only limited by your own skill set...and it's not rocket science.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

9. The Following User Liked This Post By BrotherRockeye

kennymo (02-25-2015)

Like I said, I need a welder. And probably some practise.... It's been years since the last time I welded a front end loader back together. It's all soldering and brazing copper pipe these days... Good call on resizing the stove pipe, hadn't thought of redoing the snap lock...

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I could hook you up with a lady welder with her own rig out past Richer if you need.
    She's in the States right now with her Daughter looking at the school that offered a volleyball scholarship but they should be back shortly.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast