Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Portable hunt camp

So with a moose hunt pending this fall, we're starting to look for a good way to spend the week up North. All parties involved have nylon tents, but we'd like to go a little more upscale this fall. Solution needs to be truck and possibly quad portable into a slightly off the beaten path location. I've been eyeing something like this:

http://www.theportablecabin.com

I think we could throw something similar together for a fair bit less by going through our garages and bringing work leftovers home. A $1200+ wall tent is out of the question at the moment since all hunters involved currently have very young and expensive children or are going through a nasty divorce. I built a 6x6 hunting blind that knocks down fairly similar to this, and we could probably forgo some of the insulation, since we'd be looking at around -10 as a maximum overnight low when we're planning to go.

Anyone else tried something similar? I'd like to know what worked, what didn't and what you might change if you did it again.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

lone-wolf (02-15-2015)

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    Check out my winter camping posts. Those are truck and man portable. I didn't do a write up this year. But it's two insulated tarps zap strapped together (50$) and the cheapest of wood stoves (200$ with chimney). For te Cheney hole I used fire resistant glue and fire resistant coveralls. it's held up well, oh and the poles are just thin dead trees cut down

Here's one of the three? Write ups I've done

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/show...highlight=Zulu

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By zulu

cathaldj (02-25-2015), kennymo (02-15-2015), Zedbra (08-28-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by zulu View Post
    Check out my winter camping posts. Those are truck and man portable. I didn't do a write up this year. But it's two insulated tarps zap strapped together (50$) and the cheapest of wood stoves (200$ with chimney). For te Cheney hole I used fire resistant glue and fire resistant coveralls. it's held up well, oh and the poles are just thin dead trees cut down

Here's one of the three? Write ups I've done

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/show...highlight=Zulu
    I was thinking something along those lines too, and did up some rough sketches for a wall tent-ish structure built from heavy poly tarps and wood poles cut on site. It's still not completely off the table, would give us about 10x14 with a 6'6" peak (myself and another are tall buggers). My uncle used something similar for a decade's worth of hunts. The others are set on wood for the time being, unless I can convert them. Our recon trip is coming up at the end of March, I'm thinking of tossing it together as an early test piece .

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I was thinking something along those lines too, and did up some rough sketches for a wall tent-ish structure built from heavy poly tarps and wood poles cut on site. It's still not completely off the table, would give us about 10x14 with a 6'6" peak (myself and another are tall buggers). My uncle used something similar for a decade's worth of hunts. The others are set on wood for the time being, unless I can convert them. Our recon trip is coming up at the end of March, I'm thinking of tossing it together as an early test piece .
    I have seen something like that done, and it worked very well and was quite warm. Just make sure it can shed the snow ok.

Watch kijiji for a used hunting tent. We picked up an old forestry tent for 150.00 last spring, we use it as our kitchen tent. It's, I would guess 12 by 14' or therabouts?
    Yes, the roof would leak except we picked up a 20.00 tarp to cover it with. They have a stove hole in them. Princess auto sells walltent barrel stoves for about a hundred bucks. If you don't want to cut poles, purchase a walltent pole kit (Pole kit, not a frame kit) from cabela's for I believe around 180.00; setup is about 15 minutes with two people. (get the 4' pole kit for a forrestry tent).
    No need to spend a ton of money to be comfy.

I think I kept some pics of our forrestry tent, if I can find them I'll post them.

Must've deleted the close ups I had from when we first set up the forrestry tent in our yard, but here's a pic of our moose camp from last fall. The forrestry tent's the one on the right. For comparison, our other tent is a 10 by 12 woods tent from cabela's. Both are setup with pole kits. For a floor we just take a chunk of indoor/outdoor carpet to go between the bunks.
    by

9. The Following User Liked This Post By BruceW

Satain (02-17-2015)

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    We picked up a fire resistant wall tent used by the fire fighters up north. iirc it was under $100. We cut 2 pieces of tin to sandwich for the stove pipe to go out the back wall of the tent, cheap and easy. made the poles long enough to use another tarp for a dry entry.(only half is on in the pic) Cots to keep us up off the ground and we were warm and cozy even though the weather was for sh!t and the wind off the lake was bitter. Bury your sod cloths deep! My partner is camera shy

We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    Man 100$ is a steal!!

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By zulu

kennymo (02-16-2015), Rory McCanuck (02-16-2015)

I am jealous of your guy's hunt camps.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zulu View Post
    Man 100$ is a steal!!
    it was less than $100. My Uncle knows the coordinator for the fire crews. And ya it was a steal. I tried to get another one 2 days later but they were all gone...as expected.

Super light weight tent for packing around, as long as the area has suitable trees yer laughin.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast