Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RobertMcC
    I wonder if I could load 30 carbine almost as cheap as 38/357?. I wanted to get a 9mm M1 but same reason, heard nothing good about the reliability.

Figure if I could load 30carbine for cheap, might be better option. I already got dies.

I hope to try it on the dillon next year, both 38 & 30carbine.(and 223)
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I hope to try it on the dillon next year, both 38 & 30carbine.(and 223)
    I would just need a new die plate for my pro 1000. I got the dies. 1 lb of powder is only 44$ H110 and @14grn seems to be avg load, does 500 rounds. Problem is finding a cheap source or 110 or 100grn bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Hello everyone,

So I've stumbled on a guy selling a wood stock Chiappa M1 9mm, asking $500 and may take $400-$450, but I need more input please, because until 10 minutes ago I had never heard of this thing.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them for my situation:

Pros:

- I really like the idea of light ranch gun for the trunk, and I don't have one. I'd buy a Mini 14 if they were this price.
    - I like sharing ammo for different platforms, and I already have a 9mm.
    - Takes Beretta pistol mags, so 10-12 (if using the 40 mag).
    - Seller seems pretty eager to sell. Not sure if I can go lower than $400 but maybe.
    - Looks cool.
    - Seems to be sold out practically everywhere at $510+tax, so at worst I could likely get what I paid for it, or possibly a profit.

Cons:

- There is a very damning review of one on CGN, saying the the thing is very stoppage prone (dozens per hundred rounds).
    - I can deal with lower end features on a gun of this price point (plastic, finish marks, etc), but the trigger is reviewed as being very bad and heavy (Tavor-like), which would take $100+ to sort out.
    - Overall I have an understanding that Chiappa generally makes crap, and usually I'm willing to pay more to get better quality.

If we were closer I would run a few mags through it and if I had no stoppages I'd buy it no problem.

It's the wood model here:

I just have shot 200 rounds on my brand new chiappa m1 9..... steel and brass ammo .... and not one issue.... super accurate and no failures to load or eject....
    Right out of the box..... amazing carbine love it

I don’t know we’re all the negative comments are coming from .... I love my M1 9..... not one issue right out of the box.
    Is there an earlier model out there..... mine is brand new and excellent

Hey, good thread revival.

The 9mm field has changed quite a bit since I started the thread in 2015, and I have had multiple 9mm options since.

The Beretta CX4 Storm was great except for the terrible trigger, and eventually I sold it. I'd even tried the Sierra Papa aftermarket kit (at great expense after import fees), but it was still horrible. It felt like 1cm of mushy travel before finally breaking, and I even had new shooters put it down because they thought they were having a stoppage.

I've also done a KelTec Sub2000, which is fun to shoot and I love how light it is, but if anything it's too light for my kids. I've started other threads asking why there are no 9mm lever or bolt action guns, because most seem to be semi-auto.

Obviously the Ruger has made a big splash in the past couple years, and I think it sells the best, along with the Just Right Carbine and other AR-like ones.

I'm not totally against the M1, but I couldn't do it online or a new one, based on unhappy owners so far. However, if a friend had one and I got to fire a few mags with it first, I'd still consider one if it were stoppage-free.
    I have no signature block.

This thread got me looking into one again, but I just can't do it:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-m1-9-carbine/
    "the rifle demonstrates inconsistent functioning with factory ammo, suffering from several failures to feed and eject..."

That's just one of the online reviews. Kudos to anyone who gets one that doesn't have stoppages, but for me it's not worth the risk.
    I have no signature block.

We still have them coming in for gunsmithing work for the same issues. Inconsistency. Some days they will work fine, the next, nothing but troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Just found this. Watching now.

He says after a couple hundred rounds it's down to a 7 pound trigger.

Edit: Decision made, due to things like the rear sight and trigger I won't be getting this. I'd rather pay more to not have issues like this. This confirms my original suspicions that Chiappa is a garbage brand.
    Wise choice; I have no experience with these rifles, but their pistols are pot-metal POSs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123