Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chiappa M1 9mm Input please?

Hello everyone,

So I've stumbled on a guy selling a wood stock Chiappa M1 9mm, asking $500 and may take $400-$450, but I need more input please, because until 10 minutes ago I had never heard of this thing.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them for my situation:

Pros:

- I really like the idea of light ranch gun for the trunk, and I don't have one. I'd buy a Mini 14 if they were this price.
    - I like sharing ammo for different platforms, and I already have a 9mm.
    - Takes Beretta pistol mags, so 10-12 (if using the 40 mag).
    - Seller seems pretty eager to sell. Not sure if I can go lower than $400 but maybe.
    - Looks cool.
    - Seems to be sold out practically everywhere at $510+tax, so at worst I could likely get what I paid for it, or possibly a profit.

Cons:

- There is a very damning review of one on CGN, saying the the thing is very stoppage prone (dozens per hundred rounds).
    - I can deal with lower end features on a gun of this price point (plastic, finish marks, etc), but the trigger is reviewed as being very bad and heavy (Tavor-like), which would take $100+ to sort out.
    - Overall I have an understanding that Chiappa generally makes crap, and usually I'm willing to pay more to get better quality.

If we were closer I would run a few mags through it and if I had no stoppages I'd buy it no problem.

It's the wood model here:

The stoppage issue seems to be slightly magazine related. I did a bunch of research on these, thought of picking one up myself. Probably would have but the store was sold out.

The problem seems to be that the bullet approaches the chamber from a very high angle, and if the angle on the mag isn't 'just right' it's too steep, leading to stoppages. This appears to be why some people have chronic issues and others report zero problems at all. Now i'd guess you could mess with the mags a little and improve things - and a bit of research will probably turn up which mags are most likely to work well. Apperently they ship with pretty cheap mags. You may also find some ammo feeds better than others just based on oal and such. Overall they sound considerably better than the 22 versions with a little less plastic, but you may have to fiddle with mag issues and loading issues to get it running right based n the research I've done.

No experience with Chiappa, but in the 400buck range I donīt think you can go wrong for a 9mm carbine. Is there any interchangabillity in parts with the original M-1?

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    I have been looking at these as well!
    I owned and was not impressed with the 22 version. But as foxer said these have had better reviews and less plastic

Why not get a real m1?
    While, not usgi, my plainfield is non-res and built the same. It was cheaper too than the chiappa copy, but that was an extremely lucky find.
    Tula is bringing in some nicely priced 30carbine ammo as well, functions fine in mine. Relatively cheap kci magazines work well too.

Yea, the 5rd limit sucks.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    Why not get a real m1?.
    No interest in another 30 cal semi-auto, I already have a Browning BAR is awesome shape.

I want something in a smaller cal, like 5.56 or 9mm that's easier to plink with.

These don't have a 5 round limit, they use pistol mags so 10-12.

I wouldn't compare the 30carbine to anything the browning BAR would fire. If you'd do that, the 9mm would be just another 30cal semi auto as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I wouldn't compare the 30carbine to anything the browning BAR would fire. If you'd do that, the 9mm would be just another 30cal semi auto as well.
    Too much overlap. They're semi-auto 30 cal rifles, that's overlap I can't afford.

What I really want is a light Mini 14 or the ranch style of the Benelli MR1, but in a very bare bones model while still being better made than Norinco.

I'm not really sure if Chiappa offers that, though.

Just found this. Watching now.

He says after a couple hundred rounds it's down to a 7 pound trigger.

Edit: Decision made, due to things like the rear sight and trigger I won't be getting this. I'd rather pay more to not have issues like this. This confirms my original suspicions that Chiappa is a garbage brand.
    Last edited by Petamocto; 02-18-2015 at 08:54 PM.

The ruger pc9 and marlin camp carbine if you can find them non-res, and affordable, would be similar. I can't give you an opinion on them though.
    If you're not stuck on the semi-auto, the Remington 7615p is an interesting option and I enjoyed the one I had.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast