Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post

did the big grinning smiley face make it too obvious?
    Had to turn down the sensitivity on my sarcastic humour detector after that one, fricken thing wouldn't stop beeping....

kennymo you're right that's a good approach, I should just start by learning as much as possible about the gun I want. I am interested in owning a 1911 .45 so hence my original concern but yeah safety first and there should be no problems. I like the idea that before joining most clubs there's a 3 month period of observation with the range master (or so I was explained).. I wouldn't feel safe out there on my own at first anyways.

lone-wolf that cleared it up a bit more, I had forgotten about DAO mode where the slider doesn't rack the next one for you.
    I was reading some on Wikipedia that with some single actions, leaving it uncocked is actually the worst thing but it didn't' say why. Still grasping here but I think its cuz that allows pin/primer contact (on older models not law enforcement Glocks) so a halfcock was actually a recommended carry mode in WW2 or something. So much to learn. But then as Kane says unless fully cocked there shouldnt be enough power.

Kane I think what I heard at the course was (I think!) as I mentioned above the older single actions uncocked and chambered would have essentially a firing pin resting against the primer cap and this was prone to going off from shock but he was probably talking about the old old days or something. I guess most modern versions would be 'drop safe' for sure so I should stop worrying!

BrotherRockEye good to know thanks. Ill try to refer to shot guns as shot guns from now on

No observation here, pay cash dollars, sign waiver and go shoot unsupervised to your heart's content! I think that's either an Ontario thing or a club level thing. You'll learn that the playing field is currently not level across the country unfortunately....

Quote Originally Posted by RackedShotty View Post
    Kane I think what I heard at the course was (I think!) as I mentioned above the older single actions uncocked and chambered would have essentially a firing pin resting against the primer cap and this was prone to going off from shock but he was probably talking about the old old days or something. I guess most modern versions would be 'drop safe' for sure so I should stop worrying!
    That's like authentic cowboy era revolver stuff. Even though it was an actual issue, they just started carrying with one empty chamber and the hammer would rest there. Voila, no discharge.

Police cruisers with 870s would also carry them without a round in the chamber because if they got into a collision the gun, with a live round in the chamber, could fire. Not a drop safe firearm.

Not all modern firearms are drop safe either, even if it is I would do my best to not drop the firearm.
    Go Pig or Go Home

I wouldn't worry about the 1911. You won't be carrying it around in Condition 1, using it under extreme stress (unless you're a really horrid shot), and I've never ever seen anyone go from being ready on the firing line to dropping a pistol for no reason at all.

Get one and enjoy it. Avoid models with a firing pin block unless you have tiny dexterous fingers and a prehensile tail to help get it all back together again after detail stripping the thing

Thanks for all the input fellas, glad to know the single actions are safe because I really do want a 1911.

Yeah, dropping the firearm is not on my list of things to do , and of course when its away from you i.e. in transport or storage its never loaded (if you're following safety regulations properly) so really there should be no issue. I think what the instructor said just stuck in my newbie mind for some reason but it sounds like it wouldn't apply to the modern offerings on the market today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12