Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Peep problems, for old coggers

Bought this william peep sight kit for my 336 then had it bore sighted. The front sight is nice and sharp, rear sight circle is fuzzy. I wear bifocals, so they tell me that's normal, just do your best to put the Fire Sight bead of the blade in the center of the aperture. But I'd be nervous with that as the smallest deviation can send a round over the horizon into the next county.

So I was looking at the Willaims Twilight Aperature, which is just a ring of chartreuse plastic shoved into the regular aperature shoulder slot. It occured to me that I can, with a 3/8in pipe make a cutter by sharpening the edge. Then boring a 1/8 hole(.098 i think) in the center, place the punch over it dead center, then cut it out with the punch. Then I can push it into the aperature. The fourscent plastic I may be able to get from plastic fletching in the crossbow section. May save me a few bucks, and I can use different colors whichever gives me the best rendition. I could then glue it in permanent

I hope all this takes the fuzz away from the edge. It does vary if I move my head around, but fuzz never goes away.

Wadya think?

Well ya gotta try something. I had the same problem with my T-97,,,,the rear sight always looked like it had fuzz in it. I cleaned out the sight 1/2 a dozen times, till I realized it was my eyes LOL. try it,...you've got nothing to loose, and if it works,..post pics,.....I'll follow.!

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    you'll just get colored fuzz...it's the price of not lookin so good with age.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

4. The Following User Liked This Post By BrotherRockeye

Rory McCanuck (03-14-2015)

Thanks guys. As another experiment and to better line up the aperture vertically and horizontally, I also tried inserting a small ring of brass inside the aperture. I filed the ring edge to hold black thread at 0-90-180-270 degrees around the rim. In the notches I crossed 2 strands of black thread and glued the ends down to the ring side. I pushed the ring into the aperture making sure I had one thread horizontal to the barrel, then sighted down it. This time the cross hairs were fuzzy too. DabNabit

But I can tell if I could see it clearly, it would definetly align the bead on cross hair if only I could see better. I bet it would work for the young folks with good eyes which can focus on the front and back sights at once.

I think you're defeating the purpose of the peep sight. It's not to think about it, the rear sight does not need to be in focus, you focus on the front and ignore the rear all together. Your eye should naturally center the front sight without thinking about it.

The front sight is nice and sharp, rear sight circle is fuzzy. I wear bifocals, so they tell me that's normal
    That's normal regardless of your eye wear.

But I'd be nervous with that as the smallest deviation can send a round over the horizon into the next county.
    That's possible with any iron sight set up. Smaller aperture would be the solution, not as quick though.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

7. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Rory McCanuck (03-14-2015)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I haven't seen a rear sight up close in years. The reading glasses I buy are a mix of +1.5 and +2.0.....I've got a Williams peep sight on my Winchester 94 and don't have a problem with centering the front sight in the middle of the hole. If you just can't do it, then you're on the right track with a smaller orifice in the peep. Welcome to the vintage club.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    There is an eye doctor here in edmonton that will do shooting glasses for you with the proper focal point and have a pair of glasses set up properly for you . Not sure where your located but it might be worth a try to find a doc close to you that understands the needs of a shooter .
    Come check out our new website ! Click the link at the top of the page for Zombie Supply Canada

Also stop by our face book page and see what's new
    Don't forget all members get a GOC discount
    www.zombiesupplycanada.ca

Have a look at this, do you think this might help?

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...s-iron-sights/

Cheers
    Gunter

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Gunter

BrotherRockeye (03-14-2015), Rory McCanuck (03-14-2015)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    ^^^That looks interesting^^^

Bookmarked the page. Thanks Gunter.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    That is pretty cool.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast