Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lee Reloader Press For Portable Reloading Kit

I spend a fair amount of time on the road for work. Staying in places like prince Rupert, Masset, Queen Charlotte.
    Places where there is not a lot to do in my off time. Usually for a week or two some times.
    I am considering putting together a portable reloading kit.
    I usually clean size and de-prime my brass after a range trip. So I would only be priming charging and seating the bullets.
    Mostly .223 308 and 30-06. I was thinking about ordering a Lee Reloader Press like the one in the attached picture.

Does anyone here have any experience with press? It would only be used for bullet seating.
    I'm concerned that the press might not be precision enough to make accurate ammo.
    I could just by another full sized single stage press. I have a Lee Classic Cast and it has served
    me well for several years.

Thanks! Terry

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    For seating they might be ok. If you're resizing full size rifle cartridges, after the handle breaks off of it, take the ram out and screw it to your bench. They make great holders for powder dispensers.

GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

I don't have experience with that particular press, but I have an aluminum Pacific press that isn't much more substantial.
    For what you are doing, I think it should work very well.
    Mount it to a 1x6 and then clamp the board to a table and reload to your heart's content.

As for accuracy, I don't see why it would be any less accurate than anything else.
    The ram comes up the same height every time, bullets are seated the same length, no?

More portable still is the Lee Hand press. I do ALL my reloading from one due to space constraints in my little shiddy apartment, and the handle finally did let go after nearly 10 years and well over to 100000 cycles, but I patched it up with some JB weld and key stock in the area where it broke, and it's as good as new. You can pick up the Breechlock models for about $50, and I'm still debating if I should pick up a new one and retire the old one.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

I ordered a Breech Lock hand press yesterday. When it arrives I will post a picture of my portable kit.

Terry

get a lee loader in each caliber all you need and easily portable

greenshoots

Yup the lee hand press is the way to go for the road.
    I do the same steps each time, decap, clean, prime, load.
    All fits in a dry box, no fuss no mess.

My other press is a T-Mag but no place to set up in new house.
    Cheers

To me, the major problem with most of these is that you have to prime in a separate operation with an extra die, which takes time. Being on the road or at the range doesn't mean you got a lot to spend.
    So I prefer the RCBS Partner which has a bottom priming arm, like many stronger designs.

If a hand press was needed, I would look at the Lyman which can also be bolted on a bench, its link is then inverted to match the different stroke.
    I had a LEE and hated the extra priming die .

They haven't made those Lyman hand presses for about 30 years, have they?
    I don't think cost or speed is so much the issue, more size(portability), and something to do in a motel room in the evening rather than drink.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

Edenchef (08-21-2015), KnowledgeSeeker (12-20-2015)

I just stumbled across this thread again and realized I never posted my results.
    I brought 180 sized and primed .308 brass and 200 sized and primed .223 brass
    a pound of Benchmark and two pounds of IMR 4895 and an assortment of bullets.
    Reloaded 380 rounds in four evenings.
    I am impressed with the hand press It works well it's fast and it makes accurate ammo.

Terry

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By t_glover

kennymo (09-06-2015), Rory McCanuck (09-06-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast