Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Nope. If you browse AR accessories, sooner or later you'll see a 'mag coupler', which locks two magazines together at their base for the exact same purpose. But if you're using tape, hell, stick ten of the buggers side by side if you want....
    A lil something like this?

Hey guy, in the actual firearms act, where does it say that we can use 10-rounders in semi-auto centrefire rifles? I've been poring over the SOR 98-462 part 3, but can't make head or tail of it.

I'm trying to educate the executive at my club about the actual magazine laws. I've already sent them bulletin 72 and would like to supplement it with the actual firearms law.

Part of the problem is that one of them apparently contacted the surrey firearms office as well as the firearms office in Ottawa and was told that 10-round mags were illegal whether on semi OR bolt action! Now I KNOW that's wrong. How do I prove it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OEM View Post
    Hey guy, in the actual firearms act, where does it say that we can use 10-rounders in semi-auto centrefire rifles? I've been poring over the SOR 98-462 part 3, but can't make head or tail of it.
    I think you mean SOR 98-462 part 4 section 3.

SOR/98-462

PART 4

PROHIBITED DEVICES

3. (1) Any cartridge magazine
    (a) that is capable of containing more than five cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in
    (i) a semi-automatic handgun that is not commonly available in Canada,
    (ii) a semi-automatic firearm other than a semi-automatic handgun,
    (iii) an automatic firearm whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger,
    (iv) the firearms of the designs commonly known as the Ingram M10 and M11 pistols, and any variants or modified versions of them, including the Cobray M10 and M11 pistols, the RPB M10, M11 and SM11 pistols and the SWD M10, M11, SM10 and SM11 pistols,
    (v) the firearm of the design commonly known as the Partisan Avenger Auto Pistol, and any variant or modified version of it, or
    (vi) the firearm of the design commonly known as the UZI pistol, and any variant or modified version of it, including the Micro- UZI pistol; or
    (b) that is capable of containing more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada.

(2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not include any cartridge magazine that
    (a) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that
    (i) is chambered for, or designed to use, rimfire cartridges,
    (ii) is a rifle of the type commonly known as the “Lee Enfield” rifle, where the magazine is capable of containing not more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed, or
    (iii) is commonly known as the U.S. Rifle M1 (Garand) including the Beretta M1 Garand rifle, the Breda M1 Garand rifle and the Springfield Armoury M1 Garand rifle;
    (b) is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that
    (i) is commonly known as the Charlton Rifle,
    (ii) is commonly known as the Farquhar-Hill Rifle, or
    (iii) is commonly known as the Huot Automatic Rifle;
    (c) is of the “drum” type, is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm commonly known as
    (i) the .303 in. Lewis Mark 1 machine-gun, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Lewis Mark 1*, Mark 2, Mark 2*, Mark 3, Mark 4, Lewis SS and .30 in. Savage-Lewis, (ii) the .303 in. Vickers Mark 1 machine-gun, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Mark 1*, Mark 2, Mark 2*, Mark 3, Mark 4, Mark 4B, Mark 5, Mark 6, Mark 6* and Mark 7, or
    (iii) the Bren Light machine-gun, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Mark 1, Mark 2, Mark 2/1, Mark 3 and Mark 4;
    (d) is of the “metallic-strip” type, is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for use in conjunction with the firearm known as the Hotchkiss machine-gun, Model 1895 or Model 1897, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Hotchkiss machine-gun, Model 1900, Model 1909, Model 1914 and Model 1917, and the Hotchkiss machine-gun (Enfield), Number 2, Mark 1 and Mark 1*;
    (e) is of the “saddle-drum” type (doppeltrommel or satteltrommel), is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for use in the automatic firearms known as the MG-13, MG-15, MG-17, MG-34, T6-200 or T6-220, or any variant or modified version of it; or
    (f) is of the “belt” type consisting of a fabric or metal belt, is not a reproduction and was originally designed or manufactured for the purpose of feeding cartridges into a automatic firearm of a type that was in existence before 1945.

(3) Paragraph (1)(b) does not include any cartridge magazine that
    (a) is of the “snail-drum” type (schneckentrommel) that was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that is a handgun known as the Parabellum-Pistol, System Borchardt-Luger, Model 1900, or “Luger”, or any variant or modified version of it, including the Model 1902, Model 1904 (Marine), Model 1904/06 (Marine), Model 1904/08 (Marine), Model 1906, Model 1908 and Model 1908 (Artillery) pistols;
    (b) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that is a semi-automatic handgun, where the magazine was manufactured before 1910;
    (c) was originally designed or manufactured as an integral part of the firearm known as the Mauser Selbstladepistole C/96 (“broomhandle”), or any variant or modified version of it, including the Model 1895, Model 1896, Model 1902, Model 1905, Model 1912, Model 1915, Model 1930, Model 1931, M711 and M712; or
    (d) was originally designed or manufactured for use in the semiautomatic firearm that is a handgun known as the Webley and Scott Self-Loading Pistol, Model 1912 or Model 1915.

(4) A cartridge magazine described in subsection (1) that has been altered or re-manufactured so that it is not capable of containing more than five or ten cartridges, as the case may be, of the type for which it was originally designed is not a prohibited device as prescribed by that subsection if the modification to the magazine cannot be easily removed and the magazine cannot be easily further altered so that it is so capable of containing more than five or ten cartridges, as the case may be.

(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), altering or re-manufacturing a cartridge magazine includes
    (a) the indentation of its casing by forging, casting, swaging or impressing;
    (b) in the case of a cartridge magazine with a steel or aluminum casing, the insertion and attachment of a plug, sleeve, rod, pin, flange or similar device, made of steel or aluminum, as the case may be, or of a similar material, to the inner surface of its casing by welding, brazing or any other similar method; or
    (c) in the case of a cartridge magazine with a casing made of a material other than steel or aluminum, the attachment of a plug, sleeve, rod, pin, flange or similar device, made of steel or of a material similar to that of the magazine casing, to the inner surface of its casing by welding, brazing or any other similar method or by applying a permanent adhesive substance, such as a cement or an epoxy or other glue.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 02-15-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Ah yes. That one. So where...explicitly, does it say what I want it to say? 😀

Part of the problem is that one of them apparently contacted the surrey firearms office as well as the firearms office in Ottawa and was told that 10-round mags were illegal whether on semi OR bolt action! Now I KNOW that's wrong. How do I prove it?
    The rule is 5 rounds in a centerfire semi auto,
    unlimited in a rimfire or bolt,
    rifle and shotgun.

Part 4 section 3(1)(a) says prohibited device is any cartridge magazine that "is capable of containing more than five cartridges ..."
    The subsections of 3(1)(a), namely {i, ii, ii, iv, v, vi} all restrict that to semi-auto and full-auto and prescribed. (which excludes bolt)
    Part 4 section 3(2)(a) excludes rimfire, which means that 3(1)(a) refers to centerfire.

Prescribed describes Lee Enfields that can be 10; and M1 Garand that can be 8, etc
    Last edited by RangeBob; 02-15-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Ah ok. But where does it say (except in Bulletin 72), that a magazine that is manufactured for a pistol or other bolt action rifle being allowed for use in a semi-auto rifle?

Part 4 section 3(1)(a) says prohibited device is any cartridge magazine that "is capable of containing more than five cartridges ..."
    The subsections of 3(1)(a), namely {i, ii, ii, iv, v, vi} all restrict that to semi-auto and full-auto and prescribed. (which excludes bolt)
    Part 4 section 3(2)(a) excludes rimfire, which means that 3(1)(a) refers to centerfire.
    So does this – 3(1)(a) – then mean that if it is manufactured for a semi-auto centrefire, it is prohibited, but if it is manufactured for bolt action, it is legal. And hence using the magazine in a semi-auto would be legal?

Thanks for trying RB, but man, this stuff makes my head hurt.

where does it say that a magazine that is manufactured for a pistol ... being allowed for use in a semi-auto rifle?
    3(1)(a) says 'designed' twice, once about the magazine, and once about the firearm.

Prohibited
    3. (1) (a) that is capable of containing more than five cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in
    (i) a semi-automatic handgun that is not commonly available in Canada,
    (b) that is capable of containing more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada.
    So, any magazine that's designed for a semi-automatic handgun that is commonly available in Canada is ok, subject to the 10 round limit.

where does it say that a magazine that is manufactured for a bolt action rifle being allowed for use in a semi-auto rifle
    It's not prohibited to move magazines between them {semi-auto rifle, bolt action rifle, handgun},
    but if you use it in a semi-auto and it's not legal for a semi-auto, that's prohibited (somewhere),
    but the second it's out of the semi-auto it's no longer prohibited (by this Part 4).

No special powers granted to the words 'bolt action',
    unlike 'handgun' special powers granted by three uses of the word in section 3. (1),
    the most dominant of which is 3. (1) (b) which is where the 10 round handgun limit comes from.

Thank you sir!!

I have been hearing there might be some issues with the high capacity .22lr drum mags, rcmp saying it's always been illigal, though they have been on store shelves for over 9 years, does anyone know if this is true or heresy ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast