Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have the program documents. There is way more to the program than most realize.
    So many of the design criteria are undefined that it's going to be a challenge to guess the outcome.
    Items listed as program guidelines are being presented as hard and fast, but most expect the lines to move at some point.

While the docs call for increased lethality, that does not exclude the 9mm with a different unicorn loading. Or it might.....
    Manufacturers are essentially going to have to present options in 9mm, .357Sig, .40, and .45 for consideration until the caliber is settled.

The contest still calls for a manual frame mounted safety. That means Glock/S&W and the decocker Sigs are out. Unless they are not....

The contest calls for grips that accommodate from the 5th to 95th percentile hand size. That means unless the gun can be configured at the squad level to suit the soldier, it's out. Unless it's not...

Don't even get me started about the requirement for compact and subcompact, as well as laser and sound suppression options.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Canuck223

chrisc (04-03-2016)

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    The MEUSOC (custom built 1911) have been in use since the M9 was adopted and more recently Colts updated M45 CQB pistol. The 1911 isn't dead yet.

Realistically it's going to be in 9mm or .45 ACP and it's going to have a manual safety. The military does have a hard on for all metal guns since they are tougher and handle blow outs better.

I could see it, a modern double stack 1911. A single action striker fired polymer framed 1911 maybe? There is something to be said about the ergonomics of the platform. H&K at one time wanted to re-make the 1911 just like they did with the M4 Carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Booletsnotreactwell View Post
    The MEUSOC (custom built 1911) have been in use since the M9 was adopted and more recently Colts updated M45 CQB pistol. The 1911 isn't dead yet.

Realistically it's going to be in 9mm or .45 ACP and it's going to have a manual safety. The military does have a hard on for all metal guns since they are tougher and handle blow outs better.

I could see it, a modern double stack 1911. A single action striker fired polymer framed 1911 maybe? There is something to be said about the ergonomics of the platform. H&K at one time wanted to re-make the 1911 just like they did with the M4 Carbine.
    HK did re-invent the 1911, the HK45. If H&K is willing to make them in the USA, I could see it being chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by bettercallsaul View Post
    Here's another article from last month. I guess we won't know what the Army chooses until 2017.

My guess is they choose something from Sig Sauer. All metal, proven record & manufactured in the USA. Also, since they want something with more lethality, and are stuck using ball ammunition, my guess is that they will go back to 45ACP. So either the P220 or P227.
    interesting that you mention something all metal when Navy seals have just gone to the Glock 19 and away from the 226

I don't think the military would choose anything based on what it made made out of. It would have something to do with functionality, reliability, commonality, or politics, but not material.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Armour View Post
    interesting that you mention something all metal when Navy seals have just gone to the Glock 19 and away from the 226

I was under the impression that was to save a few ounces of weight... And SOCOM /= general procurement.

Dont' know the full reason for the change haven't seen anything more on the decision change just the fact they are using Glock 19 now. Would like to know more and what the teams feedback on this is.

Long live the 1911!
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC

"...coup for the Italian company..." Not as much as you'd think. The Beretta was chosen for political reasons, just like the M-14 and M-16. Other NATO countries were complaining about the imbalance of trade in military kit between European members and the U.S. Plus a certain amount of "NATO was formed to have common calibres. The U.S. needs to get with the program after 36 years." The M9 was the result.
    The U.S. Army's chief of staff, Gen. Mark Milley, has said there's already been too much money spent on selecting the service's next pistol. $17 million just to decide what pistol, that is "the least lethal and important weapon system in the Department of Defense inventory.". He wants the Service Chiefs to be allowed to pick the thing. Kind of refreshing to hear a General saying stuff like that.
    "...a modern double stack 1911..." Too big for most normal people's hands. Very much doubt you'll see a reversion to the ACP.

Seraphim Armoury Ghost.

There. Problem solved. They can send me one as thanks.

LOL

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Gaidheal

SeraphimArmoury (04-19-2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast