Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So as gun suicides go down, hangings go up.

Nice. So it's fine if people kill themselves as long as they don't do it with guns. Well - we always knew based on the anti's tactics that for them - gun control isn't about saving lives. It's about stopping noise bylaw violations.

Note that the [Quebec] suicide study doesn't include the effects of SSRI medication which was approved for Canadian use in 1989 and ramped up usage by 1995 and should be included in any suicide study as it will be a significant confounder if left out.
    The use of antidepressant medications such as Prozac came onto the Canadian market in 1989 and ramped up usage in 1995 dramatically. In the US several studies have demonstrated significant effects from these medications on suicide reduction during this time. Since this event ironically occurs right around the time of the changes in CDN firearms laws, it has to be part of the analysis when looking at suicide or one is potentially going to confuse the effects of medication as being due to firearms law changes.
    -- langmann

I am an ER physician. I oppose the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians Position Statement on Gun Control, for both scientific, economic, and medical reasons. As do many of my colleagues.
    I have had patients who have attempted suicide with unregistered firearms, and had a patient who had his firearms confiscated commit suicide by hanging.
    The Gun Registry has hurt and killed people, here is one example of how: When I try and refer a suicidal patient to a psychiatrist I am faced with a waiting list of 6 months. If we wanted to lower suicide rates we should spend the money on psychiatry. When I refer women to a shelter I am often told it is filled. There is only so much money to go around, therefore it should be invested based on effective programs and therapy not pie in the sky.
    -- langmann

1. The suicide report was written by Mathieu Gagne, Yvonne Robitaille, Denis Hamel, and Danielle St-Laurent : Firearms regulation and declining rates of male suicide in Quebec
    2. Etienne Blais, Marie-Pier Gagne and Isabelle Linteau wrote the homcide report: Project Muse: L’effet des lois en matie`re de controˆ le des armes a` feu sur les homicides au Canada, 1974–2004
    FOR THOSE OF YOU WISHING TO ADDRESS THESE PAPERS IN THE FUTURE
    1. The suicide report on Quebec DOES NOT CONTROL for ANY factors. That is the main problem with that study, especially since the advent of SSRI (antidepressant) medication is initiated in Canada at the same time as the Firearms Act. Secondly they only look at the year 1992 and 1995. As you all know the only changes during that time was a questionaire and the increases in mandatory firearms sentences. As you all also know the LGR didn't start until 1999 and really most firearms according to the Auditor General didn't get registered until 2002. (Strangely when using Joinpoint analysis in their study for some reason Hanging declines in 1998 while firearm suicide doesn't - why? who knows someting else is going on).
    2. The homicide report does not control for every factor. In fact it only controls for 2 factors if you actually read the very fine print at the end of the paper they were not able to properly manage the statistics of too many variables. Moreover they do not look at the rate of increase/decrease in homicide post Act, simply they look at the immediate effect. As you can see by simply looking at a graph the rate of homicide, while dropping, always seems to flatten out after the Act is passed. Interestingly they also only look at the year 1998. Now WTF happened in 1998?
    -- langmann

USA Suicide firearms hanging
    "We examined changes in suicide rates among 10-24-year-olds in the United States from 1992 to 2006. The overall suicide rate and the rate by firearms, poisoning, and other methods declined markedly, whereas the hanging/suffocation rate increased significantly from 1992 to 2006. This increase occurred across every major demographic subgroup, but was most dramatic for females"
    -- Changes in suicide rates by hanging and/or suffocation and firearms among young persons aged 10-24 years in the United States: 1992-2006.
    by Jeffrey A Bridge, Joel B Greenhouse, Arielle H Sheftall, Anthony Fabio, John V Campo, Kelly J Kelleher, Journal of Adolescent Health (2010), Volume: 46, Issue: 5, Publisher: Elsevier Ltd, Pages: 503-505

I am an ER physician. I oppose the Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians Position Statement on Gun Control, for both scientific, economic, and medical reasons. As do many of my colleagues.
    I have had patients who have attempted suicide with unregistered firearms, and had a patient who had his firearms confiscated commit suicide by hanging.
    The Gun Registry has hurt and killed people, here is one example of how: When I try and refer a suicidal patient to a psychiatrist I am faced with a waiting list of 6 months. If we wanted to lower suicide rates we should spend the money on psychiatry. When I refer women to a shelter I am often told it is filled. There is only so much money to go around, therefore it should be invested based on effective programs and therapy not pie in the sky.
    Great quote there Rangebobby

Nice vid, Rod - I hope that your soapbox grows taller with time. I also much enjoyed the acerbic wit of the fellow that you segued over to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    Nice vid, Rod - I hope that your soapbox grows taller with time. I also much enjoyed the acerbic wit of the fellow that you segued over to.
    Filming a couple of episode of my new show (11 Minutes) this Monday. I hope to have a couple up by the end of next week.
    Rod Giltaca, PAL Instructor
    Civil Advantage Firearms Training

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123