Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 235
  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    7,273
    Quote Originally Posted by The Joe-Man View Post
    Hmm... if was an anti-gun cop and wanted to make the point that C-42 and it's subsequent changes to the ATT system would result in "dangerous weapons" being stolen from parking lots, shopping malls and hockey arenas I might try to convince the general population that if it can happen to anybody. Even to officer... what was his name again?
    Odd that this character doesn't have a name yet. We all knew Jeff Mantler the same day as his little embarrassment.

  2. #102
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Posts
    16,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkey View Post
    Odd that this character doesn't have a name yet. We all knew Jeff Mantler the same day as his little embarrassment.
    Sources have confirmed the officer is Const. Stephen Baker
    A city police officer will be suspended with pay after a patrol rifle was stolen from his private vehicle Saturday night, sparking a criminal investigation and internal probe with oversight from Alberta’s police watchdog.

    The off-duty officer was heading home from work when he apparently stopped into a restaurant on Crowfoot Terrace N.W. at Crowfoot Crossing just before midnight.

    When he returned to his personal vehicle in the parking lot, he realized someone had broken into the Subaru and made off with a hardcover case containing a police-issue Colt C8 rifle — which the officer was taking home to clean — and two magazines containing 28 rounds each.

    The case was locked but apparently improperly tethered to the vehicle, said Supt. Kevan Stuart, adding it would not be difficult to break open the case “if somebody is motivated.”

    Sources have confirmed the officer is Const. Stephen Baker.

    Investigators are now looking for CCTV footage and trying to determine if other nearby vehicles were also broken into. At this time, police have not received any reports of other vehicle break-in thefts in the area, prompting investigators to look into whether the officer’s Subaru was targeted.

    “Sick to my stomach,” said Stuart, when asked how he felt upon learning about the incident. “There is no reason, in my mind, why an officer would take this firearm home.”
    Calgary Police Service Superintendent Kevan Stuart talks with the media on Sunday, April 4, 2015, about a police Colt C8 rifle which was stolen from an off duty officer's private vehicle the night before.

    Calgary Police Service Superintendent Kevan Stuart talks with the media on Sunday, April 4, 2015, about a police Colt C8 rifle that was stolen from an off-duty officer’s private vehicle the night before.
    Gavin Young / Calgary Herald

    The case has sparked a criminal investigation into the storage of the firearm, as well as an internal investigation with the professional standards section to determine whether any policies and procedures were breached, which the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) is overseeing.

    Stuart said he was also made aware of allegations on social media about police canvassing vehicles in the area in a bid to search for clues in the case, which could potentially spark a separate professional standards investigation.

    The officer, a three-year member with the Calgary Police Service, is being suspended with pay.

    “If our investigation determines there is any Criminal Code breaches that put the public safety and officers’ safety (at risk), this officer’s career is in huge jeopardy,” Stuart said. “We hold our officers to a very high standard, and this will be an extensive investigation.”

    He said it’s not uncommon for police officers to bring their handguns home, especially after a night shift, with court duties to follow the next morning. But he stressed that every officer is subject to the same rules and laws as Canadian citizens in regards to the safe storage of firearms.

    Overall, he prefers that officers keep their guns at the office.

    “I’m going to say that right out, and I know that’s going to create some controversy: we do not want our officers taking their firearms home. There’s nothing good that can come of that,” Stuart said.

    If left in the wrong hands, the rifle could cause “significant damage,” which is why investigators are leaving “no stone unturned” in their search for the firearm, he added.
    The Calgary Police Service displays a police-issue Colt C8 rifle in its case similar to one that was stolen from an off duty officer's private vehicle on Saturday, April 4, 2015 from a northwest parking lot.

    The Calgary Police Service displays a police-issue Colt C8 rifle in its case similar to one that was stolen from an off-duty officer’s private vehicle on Saturday, April 4, 2015 from a northwest parking lot.
    Gavin Young / Calgary Herald

    Howard Burns, president of the Calgary Police Association, said the union is providing legal counsel to the officer, who is co-operating with the investigation.

    Burns said this isn’t the first time a police service handgun has gone missing, but it’s not often a rifle is involved in these cases.

    “Often times when these things happen, they are one-offs, they’ve never happened before,” he said. “You may see a change in policy, in internal policy, as a result of this incident.”

    Like Stuart, Burns also believes “the ideal situation” would be to see firearms locked up in a police facility at the end of a shift if possible.

    He said only a “select few” are issued that particular weapon. While he’s unfamiliar with the specific standard operating procedures of that program, Burns said the weapons are individually assigned and the officers are responsible for the maintenance of their firearms.

    “Ultimately, I think we have an officer who was intending on doing his job, maintaining his rifle, and obviously things went horribly wrong for him,” Burns said. “Now he’s the subject of an investigation.”

    Anyone who comes across the case or rifle is urged not to touch it but to call 911 immediately.

    With files from Jason van Rassel, Calgary Herald
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...y-car-prowling

    I finally got a chance to watch the video. My take.....

    The chief...He's PISSED and he's out for blood. If by some miracle the cop manages to skate out of this...isn't criminally charged and convicted and somehow manages to keep his job, he will be piloting a desk somewhere in the bowels of a police station for the next 20 years.

    If he didn't have permission to take the rifle (which it doesn't sound like he did), technically, he's guilty of theft...possession of stolen property...2 counts of possession of a prohibited device (unpinned magazines), unsafe storage (at least that's what they'd call it for anyone else who stopped for an extended period of time with a restricted firearm in their car - especially since it's normal practice to cable lock the thing in a cruiser, and he didn't do it in his own car.... ...and if he doesn't have a PAL with a restricted endorsement, he's also guilty of unlicensed possession of a restricted firearm...illegally transporting a restricted firearm without authorization.

    Yep....the boy's life has just turned to complete shit because he decided the rules didn't apply to him.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

  3. #103
    Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwarrior View Post
    Mr. Boolets you obviously missed the one educational program on Discovery on "ghost guns" the farther down the line the illicit gun goes it's value decreases, even the gangbangers understand the longer it's in circulation the more bodies can be traced to it through ballistics. Therefore if said criminal gets caught with an illicit gun, whatever can be traced to it he is going to be charged for all of it. Sounds like a reasonable concept to me.
    Sounds like complete bullshit. The whole "hot gun with bodies on it" is an old myth that has cemented itself into fact by being repeated so much. You aren't getting convicted for ten other murders because your gun has killed other people. Not to mention that the science behind that doesn't really add up. Real life isn't CSI where you can magically match bullets to guns to criminals because everything is interconnected through a standard database internationally. More often than not you can't even figure out what caliber the bullet was let alone which gun fired it since the bullet is destroyed significantly upon impact. Guns like Glocks with polygonal rifling leave very little in the way of uniquely identifiable marks. There are other "unique" markings on things like the shell casing except these change overtime. There is a reason why "microprinting" on firing pins/primers never took off, it's because the impressions made on a bullet/shell by X gun will change 100 shots later.


    Poeple need to stop relying on Vice TV style documentaries founded in bullcrap. I got all my information regarding forensics from this book. The information actually has sources that you can verify for legitimacy instead of "some guy" told me.

    Quote Originally Posted by tarrantula View Post
    I agree the odds are very slim, but I think it is equally if not MORE unlikely that it was some sort of set up by the CPS. You need to stop reading into wacko conspiracy theories.
    I don't think it's a CPS conspiracy. I think it's a cop who knows somebody who wants an off the books C8 Carbine.

  4. #104
    Senior Member Strangeday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,741
    The whole reason this happened was a general attitude of police arrogance. Many many cops...and many good ones get a sense of entitlement and feeling like the rules and expectations don't apply to them. This guy did something casually that he felt he could skate by on. That the regulations and expectations are for civilians not the chosen ones. Police officers cannot be blamed for having these things happen nor how their attitudes develop. They spend their days dealing with the dregs of society....seeing things that can never be unseen and dealing with the bottom of level of barely humans. Of course they see themselves as different. The attitude grows and develops. We as society foster it because we have to. We have to tell our children that the police are good people and they will protect us. A police officer looks in the mirror and they don't see the scum bags they arrest everyday or the drug dealer or the rapist or the heroin user. This are the people that the criminal laws apply to...not a clean cut and intelligent police officer. So it's easy to see how they develop and entitled attitude of us and them or them and us.

    I have investigated cases involving police officers. 3 of those cases ended up with police officers losing their jobs. Many others vindicated the police officer and their actions. The blue crew cheering section will tell you that their is a small minority of maybe 5 percent of police that are not straight shooters (pardon the pun), academic studies will tell you that the number is close to 40 percent. It didn't used to be this way. There are a number of academic research papers or organizational psychopaths and it is estimated that 35 percent of seni police management fall into that category of diagnoses. At has a trickle down effect. If the academic work is of interest to any of you I can refer you to some published works.

    PM me
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

    I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.


  5. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Strangeday

    kennymo (04-07-2015), Lee Enfield (04-07-2015), lowe160 (04-07-2015), Metric Warrior (04-08-2015), Rory McCanuck (04-07-2015)

  6. #105
    Senior Member speedloader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    2,816
    Yep....the boy's life has just turned to complete shit because he decided the rules didn't apply to him.

    Exactly Den!He decided the rules don't apply to him because they don't
    we wouldn't get a 7 day payed holiday on the tax payers and a union rep defending us
    but he does.

  7. #106
    Moderator kennymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeday View Post
    The whole reason this happened was a general attitude of police arrogance. Many many cops...and many good ones get a sense of entitlement and feeling like the rules and expectations don't apply to them. This guy did something casually that he felt he could skate by on. That the regulations and expectations are for civilians not the chosen ones. Police officers cannot be blamed for having these things happen nor how their attitudes develop. They spend their days dealing with the dregs of society....seeing things that can never be unseen and dealing with the bottom of level of barely humans. Of course they see themselves as different. The attitude grows and develops. We as society foster it because we have to. We have to tell our children that the police are good people and they will protect us. A police officer looks in the mirror and they don't see the scum bags they arrest everyday or the drug dealer or the rapist or the heroin user. This are the people that the criminal laws apply to...not a clean cut and intelligent police officer. So it's easy to see how they develop and entitled attitude of us and them or them and us.

    I have investigated cases involving police officers. 3 of those cases ended up with police officers losing their jobs. Many others vindicated the police officer and their actions. The blue crew cheering section will tell you that their is a small minority of maybe 5 percent of police that are not straight shooters (pardon the pun), academic studies will tell you that the number is close to 40 percent. It didn't used to be this way. There are a number of academic research papers or organizational psychopaths and it is estimated that 35 percent of seni police management fall into that category of diagnoses. At has a trickle down effect. If the academic work is of interest to any of you I can refer you to some published works.

    PM me
    The stories I have been told by police and firefighter buddies say your assessment is fairly bang on....

  8. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,721
    SD, you should post what you say on the other site and watch the SHTF. I can visualize one in particular having a aneurysm...LITERALLY! You would hear that blood vessel burst over the entire planet!!

    I have met and known some great cops over the years as well as some of the biggest scumbags imaginable. What I have noticed is the cops that are always protecting their buddies are some of the worst, maybe that is how they attempt to protect themselves?

    Arrogance on the part of this officer hopefully will cost him his job and just because he is a cop should not protect him from the same prosecution any other person would face. The excuses by some to justify and defend this guys actions are laughable at best.
    Last edited by Lee Enfield; 04-07-2015 at 08:48 AM.

  9. #108
    Senior Member Strangeday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    SD, you should post what you say on the other site and watch the SHTF. I can visualize one in particular having a aneurysm...LITERALLY! You would hear that blood vessel burst over the entire planet!!

    I have met and known some great cops over the years as well as some of the biggest scumbags imaginable. What I have noticed is the cops that are always protecting their buddies are some of the worst, maybe that is how they attempt to protect themselves?

    Arrogance on the part of this officer hopefully will cost him his job and just because he is a cop should not protect him from the same prosecution any other person would face. The excuses by some to justify and defend this guys actions are laughable at best.
    the other place is not for rational conversation or unbiased views....over there you are expected to pick a side on the extreme and defend it until death despite all rational evidence to the contrary.
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

    I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.


  10. #109
    Go Canucks Go! lone-wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Isle Saint-Jean
    Posts
    15,214
    psychopaths or sociopaths?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

    "It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

  11. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    The stories I have been told by police and firefighter buddies say your assessment is fairly bang on....

    Exactly, have hunted and chummed around with a few RCMP and Halifax's finest, few bad apples in every barrel!

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Two people arrested after pellet gun shooting spree in northwest Calgary
    By shortandlong in forum Canadian Firearms News, Headlines and Polls
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-06-2018, 01:05 PM
  2. AIMPOINT PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) $649.99
    By ARMS EAST in forum Arms East Inc
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2017, 09:53 AM
  3. Guns stolen from retired Calgary police officer
    By superbad in forum Canadian Firearms News, Headlines and Polls
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 04:26 PM
  4. Police say stolen semi-automatic rifle found in Elias Street home
    By RangeBob in forum Canadian Firearms News, Headlines and Polls
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •