View Poll Results: Which revolver: .44 magnum or 45Colt/454 Casull/460Magnum

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • .44 Magnum

19 67.86%
  • S&W 460V (.45 Colt/454 Casull/460 Magnum)

9 32.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

44Mag or 45Colt/454/460Mag ?

When I first got into shooting my plan was to stick with .22LR - it's cheap, the guns that shoot it are generally cheaper.

'Got a Smith & Wesson 686 revolver: plan was to shoot mostly 38 Special with a 'bit' of 357. Since then I've shot a few boxes of .38, and haven't touched it at all recently. It's all factory .357 shooting out of the 686.

As fun as .357 is/was, I'm looking to move up. Right now I'm looking at either a .44 Magnum revolver (Raging Bull?) or the S&W 460VR which shoots 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and 460 Magnum. I *was* planning on reloading whatever new caliber I get, but I can't find powder for the life of of me. 'Got some IMR 4227 which produces pathetic (basically target) loads for 357.

.44Mag pros: the guns that shoot it are way cheaper than the $1400 S&W 460V.
    .44Mag cons: one caliber. Ok, .44 Special if you count that.

So... if .357 magnum was currently your biggest caliber (ok, 'technical' 40S&W is mine), and you wanted something more powerful, would you get a cheaper .44 magnum which only shoots that, or splurge on the S&W 460V which shoots 3 calibers. But of course, it would be a steep learning curve for me because power-wise, I'd be going from .357Magnum to .454 Casull.

I'd hate to spend cash on a .44 only to want something bigger 6 months down the road. But I've read .44 Magnum is about as big as a lot of people want to go and still have fun shooting (ie: that 454 and 460 mag are fun for about 5 shots, but more of a pain in the butt after that)

I haven't shot bigger than the .44. It probably has enough jam with stout hand loads to keep all but the most iron fisted people happy. The plan is for a model 29 or something very similar one day. I'd worry about the really effin' big cartridge getting old fast too...plus more $ per shot = less shooting....

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

DethMyst (04-11-2015), Mark-II (04-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I haven't shot bigger than the .44. It probably has enough jam with stout hand loads to keep all but the most iron fisted people happy. The plan is for a model 29 or something very similar one day. I'd worry about the really effin' big cartridge getting old fast too...plus more $ per shot = less shooting....
    And I forgot to mention, another advantage of 44 Mag is that all the reloading powders listed for .357 are the same for .44 - so I wouldn't have to hunt down a whole new group of powders. 'Just use the same batch of powders for both.

45 Colt shares a lot of the same reloading powders as 357/44. 460 Magnum has H110 and IMR4227 which are also both 357/44 powders. 454 shows H110, 2400, Blue Dot.. all of which are also 357/44 powders too. So actually it looks like I could use the same powder(s) for 357/44/45/454/460.

The S&W 460V has 3 calibers, but the jump up from 357 magnum would be to 454 Casull, which I've never shot (never shot .44 either). But just the bullets alone for 454/460 aren't cheap, whereas the bullets for .44 seem to be more widely produced in bulk.

.44 bullets (bulk) I'm looking at about 14-18 cents each, 45 Colt / 454 casull 20-25 cents each.

I do love the look of the S&W 460V, especially with the ported muzzle brake at the end. Looks badass. But it's wicked expensive, and shooting anything out of it even when reloading is going to be quite a bit more expensive when you add up bullet cost, more powder, buying new factory ammo just to get the brass casings to reload, etc...

Working in the metal business I dont' consider myself to be weak-handed, but I think I'd get more tired than it's worth, after about 10 rounds, of 454 or 460 mag. And there's some half decent rifles that I could take out to the bush that shoot .44 too.

I think the decision has been made. I've been trying to convince myself to go for the 460V, but realistically... I can't see myself enjoying something like that long-term.

The BFR 45/70 might give you the bang you're looking for too....

Go for the S&W 460. That lets you shoot mild .45 Colt loads, until the re-introduce handgun hunting. No breath holding though.

Realistically, a 44 is a whole bunch of handgun.
    If ever you get a craving for more recoil, once you're set up with 44cal, a BFR in 444Marlin is a logical choice.
    That should cure any recoil cravings in a hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Realistically, a 44 is a whole bunch of handgun.
    If ever you get a craving for more recoil, once you're set up with 44cal, a BFR in 444Marlin is a logical choice.
    That should cure any recoil cravings in a hurry
    It comes in 444 too? Damn......

Google fu: and 450 Marlin... Though most of that advantage goes away if you hand load your 45/70....

https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firea...nch-Barrel.asp

Google fu: and 450 Marlin... Though most of that advantage goes away if you hand load your 45/70....

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firear...nch-Barrel.asp
    I really don't understand how you could hold onto a full snort load.
    In my 8lb levergun, a 300gr bullet moving at 2000fps is akin to walking into a door frame.
    Not unpleasant, but pretty solid.
    Playing with some 200gr bullets, I was getting them up around 2900fps, and that was simply obnoxious.
    Even from a 5 lb pistol, yikes! I don't see how you could hang on.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

I don't even notice the recoil on my 44 magnum revolver anymore...it's just there, and it is what it is. A 450 Marlin though...that's got to take a toll on your joints after a while. I've personally fired a sawed off 12 gauge double barrel hammer gun once. What was left of the stock was just enough to hold onto with one hand, and the whole thing was only about a foot long. I thought for sure it would sting like a MF. Nope...it didn't. Don't get them wrong...there was recoil, and plenty of it...but not what you're expect. It didn't hurt my hand in the least.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolver View Post
    Go for the S&W 460. That lets you shoot mild .45 Colt loads, until the re-introduce handgun hunting. No breath holding though.
    Actually, I just started reading a GREAT book called "Big Bore Revolvers" by Max Prasac, and he said that .45 Colt can be loaded even hotter than .44 Magnum - the only reason factory loads are so low is so that they can be shot in the old .45 revolvers that can't handle high pressures. But since the S&W 460 can handle the *massive* (65,000PSI) pressure of .454 Casull, you can load up some -really- hot .45 loads.

So the 460V could actually do:
    - .45 Colt
    - hot hot .45 Colt (equiv or greater than .44 mag)
    - .454 Casull
    - .460 Mag

From the book, about the .45 Colt : "Load it to its full potential and it will give the much-vaunted .454 Casull a run for its money and leave the .44 Magnum sucking wind in its rear-view mirror."

... "a gentleman by the name of John Linebaugh began pestering Seyfried with letters and phone calls touting the .45 Colt as a significant step up over the legendary .44 Magnum." ... "the chronograph told the story, six times in a row, the 310-grain bullet traveling at 1,500 fps"

Considering the .454 Casull is just a case-lengthened .45 Colt, I think the wide range of .45 Colt loads could fill the cap nicely between my .357 mag and the .454 Casull.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast