Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to distance shooting

Group,

I know this has likely been posted before, but is there anywhere I could find side by side comparisons to 1000 yard rifles?

I would like to get a rifle above my shooting for target practice, that I would be confident taking hunting.

Cost is always a factor and as I don't really want to drop six grand for a Lapua - I was thinking a solid $1500.

Remington 700, Savage Arms Model 110, Tikka T3.

I also have no idea what the revisions of these are. It is like there is 6 Remington 700s and no good source for review.

Thank you!

Kevin
    fireflex

stevesummit is the best guy to answer.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Premise here is target shooting and hunting. So I'd say something with an effective range out to say - 600yds? 20-24 inch barrel should suffice, any longer and humping it in the bush can get rather interesting.

You did not say which caliber - .308, .300WM, .270?

Where are you located? I usually recommend you visit a local gun shop with lots of different rifles and get a feel for the weight.

What is your budget for optics? They can usually run you close to or more than what you paid for the gun.

I did not specify which caliber. I am thinking .308 or .338 or a .33WM - Ideally if could switch barrels for some cost savings.
    Sorry group - I am in Cochrane, Alberta. Also looking for a range that might have longer distances while discussing it
    VooDoo - where do you shop? As for barrel size - I would imagine going a little longer the 22 or 24" sounds good. Me humping in the bush isn't usually too bad as I am a big guy.
    Optics - well that would be my part two. Once I have a good rifle - I could justify good optics - sneaking by on the big expense.
    I would also like to be able to customize the rifle with a tripod, recoil pads etc.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Visit the guys at Calgary shooting centre. Bought my Rem 700 5R from them, they have a great crew who knows their stuff and lots of guns to look at... That's the best part.
    Last edited by VooDoo; 04-16-2015 at 06:50 PM.

So 1000 yard ranges are an issue to find.
    CDTSA has a 500 yard range an hour and a half south of Calgary, its Private and very well maintained (and brand new).

As for a rifle, I would suggest the Savage or the Tikka.
    Caliber if your only looking to shoot 1000 yards, then a 308 will easily get you there, and be a cheaper solution then going into a higher caliber.

I shoot a stock Model 10 FCP-K Savage, I've pushed it out to 1200 meters, with ease. Cost was $950 ish for the rifle.

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflex View Post
    Group,

I know this has likely been posted before, but is there anywhere I could find side by side comparisons to 1000 yard rifles?

I would like to get a rifle above my shooting for target practice, that I would be confident taking hunting.

Cost is always a factor and as I don't really want to drop six grand for a Lapua - I was thinking a solid $1500.

Remington 700, Savage Arms Model 110, Tikka T3.

I also have no idea what the revisions of these are. It is like there is 6 Remington 700s and no good source for review.

Thank you!

Kevin
    fireflex
    If your looking for a switch barrel set up that won't break the bank I would look to a savage or a Remington with prefit barrels and barrel nut set up . Buy head space gauges and a barrel wrench and your set . With this you will also need a barrel vise and the possibility of a new bolt head if there is dimensional changes on the case head . This will allow you to change to just about any thing your looking to run . There are a couple companies making profit barrels that shoot great and are cost effective ( shilen, mcgowen)

I would personally look to something in the 6.5 mm or 7 mm bullets for a good cross over between target shooting and hunting . I like the 6.5x284, there are great target bullets and also good hunting bullets available on the market. To 600 m shooting there is really no rite or wrong answer with calibre selection . They all can be made to shoot to this distance easily . It will come down to how fast you want your bullet to get there and what you want for barrel life .

As for glass spend your money once and have a product that fits your needs . Ask guys at the range to look through their scopes and determine if it has the clarity your looking for , proper reticle . This is very largely a personal thing that only research and time will help you find the answer .
    Last edited by stevesummit; 04-17-2015 at 10:41 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By stevesummit

Fredo (06-18-2015), Satain (04-22-2015)

Thank you all soo much for the advice.
    I guess one of the largest things it comes down to is what caliber do I want to go with as well.
    What are effective ranges of the variety of calibers? .308, .33WM, or .338 - strong thoughts?
    The remington 700 goes from $1200 for a .308 to $2400 for .338.
    Ouch. Does a Remington 700 .308 get out to 1000 yards? If yes - I would be guessing this would be home made rounds as well not store bought.

You guys are awesome. Also I did drop in and quiz up Calgary Shooting Center guys - they thought the Remington 700 with .308 could only get 700 yards.

Cheers all

Kevin

Rambling on spending far too much time looking this stuff up - if I took the lapua round off the table and got more affordable I see there are a handful that can do the 1000 yards. Sako, Tikka T3, Weatherby vangard mark V, Remington 700 and savage arms. Strong feelings on any of these?

Kevin

One rifle to look at if your immediate goal is reaching 1000 yards would be the Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmore. The 6.5CM will get you past 800 easier than the 308, has less recoil, and is a lot easier on the wallet than the magnums. I believe this is the only rifle offering a 6.5mm in factory configuration. Bullets are available for both match and hunting purposes and is fully capable of taking game as big as elk.

Savage and Remington are both quite decent in regards to out of the box accuracy. They are also the easiest to upgrade down the road.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Dusticles

GTA Dragon (05-23-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast