A place to see... A place to go.... Ontary-ary-ary-ohhhh

Cool Need VAULT DOOR Ideas/Supplier help.

I was not sure where to post this...

I'm looking for ideas for Security/Vault type door suppliers (preferably Ontario).

I am toying with the idea of converting my cold cellar (approx. 7'x9'x9ft. Celing) into a sort of custom walk-in, nearly fireproof "safe". I want an in-swing door.

Originally I thought I would just use a security grade, fire door with deadbolt locks, but now I think I would really like a vault type steel door instead. I have found some Cdn. outlets by Googling. The closest (and least expensive option) I found for what I was sort of thinking about was about $5,800 US. I think all the outlets I have found so far are really nothing more than sales agents acting for an unnamed US manufacturer.

Can anyone recommend who I should look into for this? Anyone here actually done this?

Thanks.

In my (researched) opinion there are two reasonable priced options for home use.
    Sturdy Safe.
    http://www.sturdysafe.com/products/vault-door
    No frills, simple, secure can be adjusted (built) to fit your dimensions. Good reputation for quality and service. Owner may answer the telephone.

American Security (VD8030SFIS)
    http://www.amsecusa.com/home-security/vault-doors
    Quality, Good reputation for service, no major frills, may have a shorter lead time than Sturdy Safe.
    --
    Remember: Found = Open. So plan the installation to give you a few inches to build a false wall in front of the door and even with the walls on both sides, or shelves (glued) to the door, or some such thing. You will likely need to build (pour) a new smaller opening.
    Get the thinnest opening width door so that the in-swing uses as little of the floorspace as possible. Remember you can not in-swing a door unless there is enough space for everyone inside to get past the door in Mid-Swing; thinner is better.

Two other things:
    All the door is doing is trading time for money, expect to spend about $500.00 per minute of delay.
    Make sure that the armed (police) response time to your (anti-tampering) alarm system is less than the delay you have purchased.

A place to see... A place to go.... Ontary-ary-ary-ohhhh
    Thanks for the quick response. I will check those out a little later.

It WILL be completely hidden... hence the reason for the In-swing. The room area is nearly 9ft. Deep so no issues there. The rough opening in the poured foundation right now is 37" wide so I think this will accommodate most steel frames.

Since it's being hidden, consider getting a door made by a local fab shop to fit your opening? A lot cheaper and it doesn't have to look pretty. And for a wider opening but shallower open depth, consider splitting it down the middle and hinge both sides.

Check your local locksmith/safe tech. Good chance they've got a used door in stock or know where to find one.

We used to get offered them all the time and had to say no after a while because we had to many.

One more thought (sounding like Colombo),.
    Recess the door about 6 inches into the wall.
    What I mean is that the face of the door is about 6 inched behind the face of the concrete walls on the sides of the door, this recessed opening should be only 1 inch wider than the door on the top and sides. This will prevent the use of a pry-bar on the door until after a 12-15 inch angled channel has been smashed into the concrete. Make sure this part of the walls surrounding the door use stainless steel re-bar. This will buy you 2 or 3 minutes

..Oh, Oh one other thing.
    Glue flammable rubber to the face of the door, it will generate a lot of smoke and fumes if/when a torch or lance is used and it will absorb (distribute) a lot of hammer blows. About 2 minutes, plus they will need oxygen masks (and perhaps IR vision) to use a thermal attack.

Use galvanized steel - even if they get in they will likely have health issues. LOL