Refinishing a pistol while preserving the roll-marks on the slide. Doable?

My beloved Delta Elite is in dire need of a face-lift. It had some bluing wear when I bought it 15 years ago, and I must admit, I haven't exactly been kind to her either, given my preference for Kydex holsters, and the Derp-Scratch in the frame (1911 owner know what I speak of.)

I've always loved the deep, high-polish blue on the real-deal Colt pistols, and black chrome has always appealed to me (Dad and I batted it around as an option for a car resto that never happened.) Realistically, I'll probably go with Cerakote or a salt-bath nitride finish (Nitron, Tennifer, call it what you want) since they're tough as nails and I'm hard on my stuff.

The one thing that's really, REALLY SUPER DUPER important to me is preserving the roll-marks on the slide. They're not very deep, and I'd hate to see them disappear during surface prep.

This task is out of my league by about 15 miles, so I'll happily throw my money at a pro to do the work, but I want to know if it's doable before I start setting money aside that I could spend on groceries, since it's the most flexible part of my budget.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Pics would help grizz.

I'm 99% sure you'll be ok. I've seen pics of GSG 1911's that have been refinished and the serial number on them is very shallow and they still show through. IIRC the triangle on the Delta is much deeper so it should still show.

Definitely agree. Pictures would help a lot. With cerakote the gun would need to be sandblasted to bare metal, and it goes on pretty thin. You should be alright as long as the stampings are deep enough.
    Custom paint and Airbrushing. Specializing in camo.
    iskustoms.webs.com
    facebook.com/iskustoms

i don't know about gun finish but a guy i used to know used a sandblaster loaded with flour or Talc to prepare fine engraved metals so the engraving didn't get wrecked.
    i've always waanted to try it on a gun....hmmm
    #torontoexit

Canadian ForcesMember
    i apply cerakote all the time and your marks will be fine-if i was to do it i would even carve the marks a little deeper first to ensure they last forever
    www.backwoodsguns.ca goc business member

Don't go cerakote...
    I know this is coming from a guy who LUVS that product and I put that $h!t on everything. Although for this I would either re-blue it professionally so you don't loose the marks or the most I would do is Nitron bath it. As surface prep on these two procedures do not require a trip to the sandblaster and more than likely you will loose out on those marks you wish to keep.