Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sounds like a bad situation all around ; a wounded bear wandering around can be extremely dangerous......hopefully this happened in a very isolated area where there are no recreational walkers or hikers moving about . I suspect the bear holed up somewhere and died.....
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Yes it is in the middle of no where. Rarely see another hunter here. Let alone another tourist. Foxer, best search for cougar, Vernon, legion, nuff said.
    Stats on wolverine is correct. Cougar sighting stats is unknown.
    update the moose boneyard has 3 skulls not 4. Thought a hip bone was a skull. Some of those leg bones have the knuckle chewed off.
    I have searched every square foot of that hillside and I have found no sign of that bear. I did a search on bullet placement of bears and read some stories of a bullet skimming between the lungs and the spine. Maybe!
    The part of life that keeps me sane. tea, whisky. and her green tea.....
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

3. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By tigrr

Drache (05-09-2015), Edenchef (05-09-2015), JungleCat (05-09-2015), lone-wolf (05-09-2015), Rory McCanuck (05-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Yes it is in the middle of no where. Rarely see another hunter here. Let alone another tourist. Foxer, best search for cougar, Vernon, legion, nuff said.
    Has that ring of truth to it

Well crappy about the bear. There's nothing worse than losing an animal when you know you got a hit, but sooner or later it happens. Sounds like you made every effort possible, and that's all you can do. I've noted that crows and such don't show much interest in bears, so you can't even use any of those old tricks to see if you can find it later. I'm sure that shot's been kicking around in your head for the last 24 hrs. Good on you for putting in the recovery effort anyway.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Foxer

Edenchef (05-09-2015)

Sorry to hear it is still eluding you.Bears can be tricky, sometimes they drop like a sack of potatoes other times they seem pretty much bulletproof(at least as far as bullets doing what they are supposed to). I had to shoot a wounded bear for my ex sister in law, it wandered around for a few weeks with a bad shot in it and in the end it was still healthy and really aggressive. I got a tag and put it down with a .300 wby 220 grain bullet, he was dead before he hit the ground . Another bear I saw shot took 6 12 gauge slugs to the down hill shoulder, the chest and the face the final shot went into it's head between the shooters feet as it continued to kick it's way into him . It is probably holed up in the thickest patch of brush on the area ,hopefully dead . I would go in with dogs to be safe.

Next adrenaline rush is wait a few days and go into the bush where he was headed and sing with a moose calf distress call. I will be packing my extended arm ie 270 browning bar semi auto. The grizzly lives 8 miles away what could go wrong.
    The hill where he feeds is prime south facing area. If alive he will be back. And I'll be checking.
    Dogs are out too many sows with cubs. I've crawled through the thick stuff. I'm thinking shot placement the most likely reason. Not 1 speck of blood found and I looked hard.
    Life's adventures----- ok I'm ready for the next one.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By tigrr

Mil Specs (05-10-2015), Rory McCanuck (05-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Next adrenaline rush is wait a few days and go into the bush where he was headed and sing with a moose calf distress call. I will be packing my extended arm ie 270 browning bar semi auto. The grizzly lives 8 miles away what could go wrong.
    The hill where he feeds is prime south facing area. If alive he will be back. And I'll be checking.
    Dogs are out too many sows with cubs. I've crawled through the thick stuff. I'm thinking shot placement the most likely reason. Not 1 speck of blood found and I looked hard.
    Life's adventures----- ok I'm ready for the next one.
    Damn bears - that can happen. Maybe you didn't get in as solid a hit as you thought, or the bugger just didn't bleed much. Bears sure aren't deer when it comes to blood trails, that's for sure.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    don't feel too bad tigrr, been through the same thing when my buddy shot low on the biggest brown phase black bear I've ever seen...only he handed me the shotgun to follow that bear into a tamarack thicket. We didn't find him either.
    The trouble with those big blackies is they'll haul arse til they're done, then die watching their back trail. Problem is, if you don't have sign they could be anywhere, and any direction.
    Mature bears maintain a pretty healthy fat store that stops up holes pretty good.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    don't feel too bad tigrr, been through the same thing when my buddy shot low on the biggest brown phase black bear I've ever seen...only he handed me the shotgun to follow that bear into a tamarack thicket. We didn't find him either.
    The trouble with those big blackies is they'll haul arse til they're done, then die watching their back trail. Problem is, if you don't have sign they could be anywhere, and any direction.
    Mature bears maintain a pretty healthy fat store that stops up holes pretty good.
    and one thing about big bears, if you don't hit something vital, their fat can close up a wound and they will survive. Took a bear in Likely one year that had a bullet wound from the year before still visible but healed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    and one thing about big bears, if you don't hit something vital, their fat can close up a wound and they will survive. Took a bear in Likely one year that had a bullet wound from the year before still visible but healed over.
    Even a deer can survive a non fatal hit. We've recovered old rifle bullets out of the back straps before. The last one had been shot by us with a .50 cal round ball, the copper jacket definitely wasn't ours.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123