Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to archery, where and what to buy.

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out. I live in cochrane and looking to bow hunt this fall. Where should I grab a bow? What would you guys recommend, I'd like to keep the full set up under 1000 if possible. Thanks again.

I'd recommend the Silver Heights but you're not in Winnipeg....Ron does Internet orders, but your best bet is to find a dedicated archery store with knowledgable staff that'll let you try before you buy. They'll help you work out stuff like draw length, find out what sort of draw weight would be best for you, and probably throw you a bit of a discount if you buy all your arrows, sights, broad heads, etc...through them. I played around with about a dozen bows for a couple hours before I settled on my Darton. Oh. Most of the archery guys at the big box stores don't know as much as they pretend to, just a word of warning....

Living in Cochrane I would suggest Jim-bows archery in Calgary as one of the top stores. Quite honestly it's been so long since I've been down there I don't know of the others. Do a google search. Rather than going in to buy brand x, go in and try out a few different brands/models and see what feels best to you. I have an APA Nano (homegrown in saskabush) and love it. My son also shoots an APA. There will be countless guys telling you that brand x is the only bow to buy the rest are garbage but that just isn't true. They all have good and bad points just like rifles, well except for savages but Nobody likes them or admits to owning one All in for a grand to start is a little tight but doable just don't buy a lot of arrows and don't blow them all up practicing! Bow, arrow rest, sights, release, quiver, arrows and broad heads... maybe a stabilizer. Whatever you get, get out and practice and have fun doing it.

Get a Quest Drive made by g5, pretty sweet bow, a little on the heavy side but it came to like 990$ at Cabelas. that price came with everything aswell. I bought an expensive arrow rest, arrows and a bow sling though so it can be cheaper but its a great bow.

I just jumped back in after a couple decades out. For the money the ready to hunt DRIVE package from PSE is impressing me more each day

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    with only 2 months before bow opens yer cuttin er kinda slim...unless yer a lethally quick study
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    with only 2 months before bow opens yer cuttin er kinda slim...unless yer a lethally quick study
    Yep. You're cutting it fine. I've been at it since early spring,aprox mid may

I would recommend Calgary Archery Centre. They have a great group of knowledgeable and enthusiastic people to help you find what you need. It is also a great place to practice. They are in the Foothills Industrial Park.

Quote Originally Posted by BugBench View Post
    Huge thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out. I live in cochrane and looking to bow hunt this fall. Where should I grab a bow? What would you guys recommend, I'd like to keep the full set up under 1000 if possible. Thanks again.

Iīm new to it as well. I went with a Sage recurve 30# draw and the cheapest arrows I could buy. Still donīt really know what Iīm doing but itīs fun to try. Itīs not really a hunting rig....but I thought a good way to figure out where I want to go with archery.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNT View Post
    Iīm new to it as well. I went with a Sage recurve 30# draw and the cheapest arrows I could buy. Still donīt really know what Iīm doing but itīs fun to try. Itīs not really a hunting rig....but I thought a good way to figure out where I want to go with archery.
    Hang onto that. It's good for keeping archery muscles in shape off season, but. DO NOT compare in anyway to modern compounds. You may end up loving both or like me, You may end up hating recurve and loving compound. Pick up all the compounds You can. I'm personally biased toward PSE simply for how well they give gradual let off right from when You start to draw
    PROUD TO BE XSEEGEENR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast