Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Canadian ForcesBuccaneer matty86suk's Avatar

Adventure Riders Thread

Any ADV riders on Gun Owners??
    I love long range backcountry travelling on my dual sport.
    I currently own a 14 klx250 and a 96 ktm rxc, both plated. I used to really be into enduro, hare and hounds and Mx, but after a couple recent injuries my focus is on ADV riding and the associated bikes.
    I'm in the market for a 650 dual sport currently; klr650, dr650, ktm690,640a etc...
    Lately I've been spending my Sunday's exploring different backcountry routes through SVI from cowichan lake to port renfrew. So far I have ~500km of dirt roads mapped and I find more routes every week...So much fun!!
    Any ADV riders out there??

All my rifles are battle rifles...

I ride an ADV type, mainly because they are the most comfortable to me.

Started with a KLR650, but it wasn't much up to touring with friends who had double the displacement. Poor thing...

Got an R1200GS now.

Never had dirt bikes growing up, and I'm getting too fragile to be falling down learning dirt riding, so I stay away from anything more gnarly than section roads

Seriously considering getting a KLR650 again. Test-rode one years ago and it was a hoot. I'd likely have to lower it some to be able to stop safely in traffic - lol

I was close enough at one point years ago that I walked into the local dealer and asked what his best price was on two of them. His number was several hundred bucks over list each. I laughed & left.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidheal View Post
    Seriously considering getting a KLR650 again. Test-rode one years ago and it was a hoot. I'd likely have to lower it some to be able to stop safely in traffic - lol

I was close enough at one point years ago that I walked into the local dealer and asked what his best price was on two of them. His number was several hundred bucks over list each. I laughed & left.
    This guys Vlog series really made me want a KLR650....

Great pics.

A dual sport would be the only reason I'd get a bike licence. Only problem is, most dual sports are too tall for me. I'm about 5'6" with a 28 - 29" inseam.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

That's my problem - 5'8 or so with 28" legs. I joke I'm the same height sitting or standing.

KLR650, when I weighed 250 I could touch the ground with the toes on one foot.

A lowering kit would be a must.

I *really* want to go there though!

Lowering kits and low seats are available for every bike, the dr650 can be lowered from the factory. Lots of short folk ride big dual sports, once your moving it doesn't matter anyway, and who cares if you drop a dual sport. Lol

Kinda matters at the corner of walk & don't walk.

Yes. I've had dirt bikes since I was 9. Started with a very finicky Yamaha MX80 - it was 2 stroke with oil injection and it used to foul plugs like nobody's business. Got pretty good at swapping them in the field. Parents took pity on me and replaced it 2 years later with a Honda XR100. That thing was tough - I rode it for the better part of a decade. I took a break - girls and cars - and then got back into it in my early 20's. I bought '93 model year Honda XR250R brand new in '94 and had some fun with that. Took another long break, got my road license, and picked up a 1999 BMW F650ST. Took that on a good 7-day ride down Skyline/Blue Ridge, US Highway 129, VA beach and home again. Found it was struggling a bit on the Interstates and so I bought a 2003 Triumph Tiger 955 (girly). Took that on several ADVRider outings - BYOB, a few Cromag's. Now I'm bikeless, but I would consider an early 2000's V11 Lemans should one come up. Love the look and sound of those.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By looch

matty86suk (06-04-2015)

Up to Maid lake on Sunday. Awesome ride, awesome views!!

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By matty86suk

Cryptix (06-09-2015), FlyingHigh (06-08-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast