View Poll Results: What do you think of the Maverick 88?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it, it's a rock solid, no-nonsense gun.

16 50.00%
  • It's OK, but there are better shotguns in the same price range

3 9.38%
  • It's an unreliable hunk of junk and a waste of money.

0 0%
  • I've never owned one

13 40.63%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

The AK-88... OK, it's the Maverick 88

So as not to derail another thread, I would like to share my enthusiasm for this fine entry-level priced shotgun. I've had mine a few years now, and it has been a consistent and solid performer in even the worst conditions. I got my 6 shot 18.5" for $195 with an additional pistol grip, no extra barrel. The finish is nicely blued, as opposed to crummy BBQ paint finishes found in other low price options, and the action and trigger are silky smooth.

Pretty much anything you can do to a Mossberg 500, you can do to an 88, with the exception of the forend. It is a one piece and must be changed out for a 7 5/8" forend tube if you want to add an aftermarket forend.

I love my 88, I would never sell her. She doesn't see a lot of use these days, but I would trust her with my life. So what about you? Have you shot one, owned one, or wanted one? What do you think of this shotgun?

I'll say this: I've purchased a half dozen other shotguns in the $250 - 500 range. None felt as smooth and precise out of the box. They were rough, clunky, and gritty by comparison. This is, hands-down, the best ~$200 shotgun in the world, at least in my opinion.

Here's mine, in all her glory:

881w

886p

885vd

884t
    Last edited by Sadosubliminal; 06-05-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    You like Loud, Ugly Metal? We do it up right: http://www.deadairrepublic.com

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Sadosubliminal

Doug_M (06-05-2015), Gerald (06-05-2015)

I've been humming and hawing about getting one with a rifled barrel.
    For the price, I guess I really don't see a reason why I haven't yet.

A solid choice, I doubt you will regret it.

I've had mine for 8 years and no issues. I have a heat shield, pistol grip/collapsible stock, and a side saddle shell holder on it. It is my bush/truck/bear defence gun.

Whenever possible I would try to find an older model classic gun, made in the good ol' days, when they practised QC.

My first shotgun was a 18.5" Maverick 88!

I actually had it done up exactly the same way you have yours there, minus the optic and top rail. I ended up selling it, but there is definitely no argument about the quality and ruggedness of that beast.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Garetsu

Sadosubliminal (06-05-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Sadosubliminal View Post
    A solid choice, I doubt you will regret it.
    This is key. Undoubtably you would not find a Mossberg 590, Winchester Defender or any number of other more expensive pump guns to be truly deficient to the little Maverick. But at well under three bills, or around three bills for a two barrel combo, you will not find a more functional shotgun. And they are tough as nails, there's no doubt about that either. I think I'll be buying a security model the second I sell my place and get back in the gun money....

Banned

Red face

I own a combo 88 2004 only shot five rounds of buck shot. Never had time to shoot the shot gun (oilfield, farming, family other guns ) .Question? would I look stupid using a 88 at a clay shoot, at a local club. Clay would be a new challenge. I have a membership at sherwood park. Need to buy some clay's and #7 and go practice.

I would hope that people judge you based on how you shoot, not what you shoot, but it's a funny world. I've never shot clays, but I've read some discussion about this. The consensus, save for a few naysayers, was that a proficient shooter could shoot clays with just about anything, though there are advantages to a long barrel i.e. ease and accuracy of movement. That said, I have never shot clays, so my opinion does not come from experience.

sawed my 28" down to 18 & 1/4 cause im a rebel. yes its still legal.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Steveo9mm

Sadosubliminal (06-05-2015), superbad (06-09-2015)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast