Americans Are Googling 'Gun Control' Instead Of 'Gun Shop' Post-Charleston

fter a gunman killed nine people at a church in Charleston, South Carolina, last week, many Americans turned to Google for information. And a lot of them wanted to know about gun control.

Google has released data on how Search users reacted to the violence on June 17. Its newly revamped Trends tool has a rundown of the kinds of topics people queried the search engine about in the days after the tragedy. One of the most interesting things the data shows is that searches for "gun control" surpassed those for "gun shop" across the United States.

Searches for "gun shop" are usually more popular than "gun control," according to data Google Trends averaged from the past year. But in the 72 hours following the Charleston shooting, "gun control" was the more popular search term in 45 states.

Only South Dakota, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and North Carolina saw more queries for "gun shop."

Here's what that breakdown looks like:

And here's what search data for these two terms looked like over the course of last year:

It's important to note, of course, that Google Search data does not necessarily reflect shifting attitudes toward gun ownership. However, A HuffPost-YouGov poll conducted shortly after the mass shooting in Charleston showed that 49 percent of Americans believe now is the right time to discuss stricter gun control measures, versus 37 percent who think it's the wrong time.

President Barack Obama on June 19 addressed the tragedy and spoke about the country's need for better gun laws, saying, "It is not good enough simply to show sympathy. You don't see murder on this kind of scale with this kind of frequency in any other advanced nation on Earth."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7655658.html
    "So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

t's important to note, of course, that Google Search data does not necessarily reflect shifting attitudes toward gun ownership.
    I search for "gun control" all the time when researching what laws are in place in various states or countries. Doesn't mean I'm for or against it.
    Pew pew pew

3. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

DOA (06-26-2015), Fredo (06-27-2015), Sadosubliminal (06-26-2015), Swampdonkey (06-26-2015)

Likewise many times I search for "Gun Control" , but funny enough- I never have googled -"Gun Shop"

'
    "So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.." - George Orwell
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the younger
    FTrudeau

What they don't realise is that 2/3 of the hits are from gun folks fact checking and preparing themselves for the waves of stupidity and feeeeelings that will hit immediately after.

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    Likewise many times I search for "Gun Control" , but funny enough- I never have googled -"Gun Shop"

'
    Yeah - first thing I thought of. I've bought many guns online from gun stores, and searched for many guns online that I wanted - and in all my searches i've never searched for 'gun shop'. Who does that?

Quote Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
    Yea, we already know where the shops are.

Alaska googling gun control?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Jerry Miculek probably got a lot of views and subs after this.

He is the "Leader in gun control" after all

9. The Following User Liked This Post By harbl_the_cat

Sadosubliminal (06-26-2015)

Here are some "facts" that we've spent 5 minutes compiling in order to support our bias on the matter.

They don't prove anything, but they make us look right, so here they are.

The 4 minutes that we spent massaging our queries to give us the result that we wanted will not be discussed. ever..

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Mark-II

Edenchef (06-26-2015), Rory McCanuck (06-26-2015)