Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

New CDN Firearms Rights Org

Shawn Bevins announced a new rights org the other day. A coalition. I see Rod Giltaca is involved (which I see as a plus). They're just getting started and are planning a website etc but they of course have a Facebook group. As this is just getting going I am of course skeptical as to what the org will shape into and what their direction/methods will be. But I joined the FB group to keep abreast of things. There was a post last night outlining their purposes and objectives. So without further ado here they are:

Pierre Plourde
    August 8 at 7:46pm.

The purposes and objectives of the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights (“the Coalition”) are:

1. To protect and defend the Constitution of Canada;
    2. To promote public safety, law and order, and the national defense;
    3. To advocate for legislative change to protect and enhance the inalienable right of the individual Canadian citizen to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms, in order that the people may always be in a position to exercise their legitimate individual rights of self-preservation and defense of family, person, and property, as well as to serve effectively in the appropriate militia for the common defense of the Dominion and the individual liberty of its citizens;
    4. To promote, support, and protect all safe firearm activities, including the right of self-defence;
    5. To foster and promote the shooting sports, including the advancement of amateur competitions in marksmanship at the local, provincial, national, and international levels;
    6. To promote hunter safety, and to promote and defend hunting as a shooting sport and as a viable and necessary method of fostering the propagation, growth and conservation, and wise use of our renewable wildlife resources;
    7. To provide firearms education for all Canadians;
    8. To train members of law enforcement agencies, the armed forces, the militia, and people of good repute in marksmanship and in the safe handling and efficient use of small arms; and
    9. To ensure freedom and justice for Canada’s firearms community.

The Coalition may take all actions in accordance with these Articles and the By-Laws necessary and proper in the furtherance of these purposes and objectives.

I find parts of #2, 3 and 8 a little, um, whacky. Specifically I'm referring to the references to "national defence" and "the militia". In Canada "the militia" is the reserves. I was a member and while they have since "rebranded" the army reserves it was quite literally called the Militia. There is no provision for citizens to create their own militia in Canada. And that asside I think any organization that publicly advocates civilian firearms ownership as being beneficial to the defence of Canada is going to get laughed at or worse seen as a bunch of whackos.

I think CLW is right in that we need to talk about self-defence as a legitimate reason to own firearms and this coaltion seems to be support that. But it will get nowhere fast with this "defence of Canada" stuff. Oh boy.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

Curly1 (08-10-2015), Kane63 (08-10-2015)

#2 needs the defense clarified maybe? People or of Canada?
    #3 is obviously the "No Compromise" camp leaf branch, but way too Yankee for up here.
    #6,7,8 seem more at home with a busiiness model, especially when mentioning categories that have their own instruction protocols in place.

This sounds more like an org created to subsidize a business effort, such as a training school.

And until Foxer signs off on the Bylaws and the dollar tracking is quite clear cut I'll be very skeptical.

And this makes how many recent org attempts?

I'm starting to think that most of these attempts are just plays for our $$ and nothing else. Fill our coffers with donations, a bunch of revenue form our assorted sites, etc.

Canadian gun owners are now the silicon valley for startups.

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By SIR VEYOR

Brad (08-10-2015), Doug_M (08-10-2015), Rory McCanuck (08-10-2015)

Looks more like a beer fuel manifesto, especially the run on sentence that is #3.
    Gun control is supported by an illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
    Looks more like a beer fuel manifesto, especially the run on sentence that is #3.
    and the guy who wrote it is a lawyer!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    and the guy who wrote it is a lawyer!
    If a lawyer wrote that mess, than I know why so many of our laws suck!
    Gun control is supported by an illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Clever throwing 'coalition' in there. Should make searches for Wendy's 'coalition' a little more interesting. Watching with interest, if the chest thumping starts up again in the same manner as before, I'm out....

10. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Neil Burke (08-10-2015)

Seeing as it's Bevins, and all the NFA Reloaded people that cut up their NFA cards, I'm sure it will be quite the show.
    Too bad that they're probably "going to speak for Canadian Gun Owners" because I'm reasonably sure they're going to spout off a bunch of s*** that I want no part of.
    You know, like militias, which are illegal in Canada.
    Inalienable rights? Pfft.
    Sorry to hear Rod is being associated with a clown show.

12. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

Canada_Phil (08-23-2015), Doug_M (08-10-2015), FluffyFire (09-28-2015)

I'm going to hold my tongue for now but I will say I don't have high hopes...

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Deuce-deuce

CaperJim (08-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Clever throwing 'coalition' in there. Should make searches for Wendy's 'coalition' a little more interesting. Watching with interest, if the chest thumping starts up again in the same manner as before, I'm out....
    I think a true coalition of various groups, businesses and the like working on common goals together could actually be very effective. Hopefully this turns into such a thing and not a repeat of the "no compromise" campaign.

If it is successful I can see it now at the next C-## committee hearings:

Coalition spokeman: "Mr. Chairman I'm here representing over 300 firearms businesses, rights organizations, shooting clubs and group..."

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast