Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar

Stephen Harper unveils tax credit plan for service club memberships

Canada election 2015: Stephen Harper unveils tax credit plan for service club memberships

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...hips-1.3200851

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper used a Sunday campaign stop in eastern Ontario to announce a new tax break for people who belong to service clubs such as the Royal Canadian Legion, Knights of Columbus and the Kiwanis.

Harper said the new measure would allow people to claim their service club membership fees as a charitable donations tax credit, and give them a 15- to 29-per-cent break on their membership fee.

"We're quite frank, it's not a tonne of money here, but I think it is an important recognition for the good work that many, many people do. They dedicate hours that in many, many ways really enrich our communities," Harper said.

The Conservatives estimate as many as one million people could benefit from the measure.

The Conservatives have held the area riding of Glengarry-Prescott-Russell since 2006.

With the fraud trial of Mike Duffy due to resume on Monday, Harper was also questioned on events surrounding the $90,000 payment his now-former chief of staff made to cover the senator's disputed expenses.

Questions about the trial have been a staple of Harper's brief daily question-and-answer sessions with the media for much of the past two weeks.

Asked whether his current chief of staff, Ray Novak, knew about the deal to repay Duffy's expenses and if Novak told Harper about it, Harper said: "I think that you know the answer to this question. I'm not going to comment on testimony before the courts," Harper said.

"Mr. Novak has been very clear with me," Harper continued. "The fact of the matter is this, in my view, there are two people responsible. Mr. Duffy, who is the only one on trial who took money. [In] my judgment, he should not have taken it, should have paid it back, did not do so."

"Instead, Mr. Wright did that for him, and I grant that he paid back the taxpayers, but he did so without my knowledge and without my agreement. And these were his actions, he was the boss and he is fully responsible for them," he said.

The question drew some heckling from some members of the audience, but Harper signalled them to be quiet.

Later Sunday afternoon, Harper was to attend an event at a sugar shack in Saint-Hyacinthe, Que.

Neither NDP Leader Tom Mulcair nor Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau had events planned for Sunday.

Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe's campaign took him to eastern Quebec while Green Party Leader Elizabeth May is campaigning in the Victoria area.
    CSSA

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    this is another promise that PM Harper will keep.

It may seem like a small thing, but unlike the NDP and LPC, the CPC won't have to raise raise taxes to keep
    CSSA

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Billythreefeathers

Gaidheal (08-23-2015)

I know that legions for example have had a tough time keeping memberships up and having the money they need. I'm sure they'll look at this as a positive thing, one more way they'll get to convince people to stay as members. It's a nice gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    I know that legions for example have had a tough time keeping memberships up and having the money they need. I'm sure they'll look at this as a positive thing, one more way they'll get to convince people to stay as members. It's a nice gesture.
    Exactly this. Good optics, small cost, and really, who's going to say that giving the Kiwanis club or the Legion a bit of a break is a bad thing? Heh, I hope the Pony or the Beard tries it. The backlash will be glorious.
    CSSA CCFR

I'd still be in favour of a larger general tax cut over these little bits and pieces that give Revenue Canada employees job security, but I'll take it over what the others are offering.....

That 1% off the GST that was being batted around before the writ was dropped is what I'm still hoping for. With the understanding that it's not going to happen till near the end of the next term with the current economic hiccup.