Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oshkosh JLTV Military Vehicle Replaces Well-Known Humvee

The High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle, or Humvee as it's more commonly known, has served the United States military since 1984. More than 280,000 of them have been built, beat up, and used in far-flung places all around the globe. The U.S. military is ready to move on, though, which means a new vehicle has to step up and take its place. That vehicle has been found, and a new production contract has been awarded to Oshkosh Defense of Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

The $6.7 billion contract goes to Oshkosh after it beat out competition from Lockheed Martin and Humvee-producer AM General. Oshkosh will now be responsible for production of the Humvee successor, the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle, or JLTV. While the initial contract is worth just under seven billion, it's expected that the full contract will run upward of $30 billion spread out over the next few decades.

Testing of the JLTV has found that it can withstand mine blasts just like the massive MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected) vehicles that were first used by the U.S. in 2007. It also needs to be fleet of foot, and Oshkosh states that its JLTV is up 70 percent faster over rough terrain when compared to the outgoing Humvee. It does all of that while being able to get troops in and out of combat.

Oshkosh will build the JLTV in two-and four-seat variants. The two-seater will be built in one version, while the four-seater will be available in two configurations: a General Purpose vehicle and a Close Combat Weapons Carrier. There's also a trailer that goes along with the JLTV. The shape of the vehicle allows it to fit inside of a C-130 transport plane, so it can be deployed wherever it's needed. No word yet on whether there will be a civilian version for the Schwarzenegger types among us.
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...s-duties-video

. No word yet on whether there will be a civilian version for the Schwarzenegger types among us.
    Wouldn't you just be the king of hunting camp.....a few years back there were a ton of Americans coming up for goose hunting with full size Humvees, haven't seen too many in the last while. Not sure if it's an economy thing or the trend just wore off.

Do these seem like they're based on a heavy duty truck body to anyone else? Like a 3 ton slung low with four wheel drive and big knobbies? Not much for a size reference in the photo.

Looks cool and I want one. But when I hear "Oshkosh" I think of:

and

Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

4. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

Coke (08-28-2015), firemachine69 (03-29-2016), Kobs (06-09-2016), labradort (03-29-2016), Lee Enfield (11-17-2019)

Yeah, I was wondering what the aviation community was getting itself into as well LOL

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalPost View Post
    Oshkosh will build the JLTV in two ... seat variants
    How many could a WWII jeep carry?

A Humvee could drive up a short wall. Not that that was particularly useful for anything. But hey, a Humvee could drive up a short wall.

A Humvee could drive up a short wall while using the whole fuel tank to do it. 6.7 litre diesel, as I recall. Worked briefly in the plant that made the rag tops for 'em. Engineer said they were pigs on fuel. Very small seating capacity too.
    "...a W.W. II jeep carry?..." Wasn't a personnel carrier, but I had 5 of us, not in any way comfortably for the 3 guys in back, in one. No radios or anything else. And a Jeep could drive up a short wall too. Issue with 'em was mostly their age and no parts.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Wouldn't you just be the king of hunting camp.....a few years back there were a ton of Americans coming up for goose hunting with full size Humvees, haven't seen too many in the last while. Not sure if it's an economy thing or the trend just wore off.

Do these seem like they're based on a heavy duty truck body to anyone else? Like a 3 ton slung low with four wheel drive and big knobbies? Not much for a size reference in the photo.
    I can see ifs and irs and it looks heavy duty... Definitely not based on a pickup.

https://humvee.com/

Good news for us that they're offering Humvees to the public now. I definitely want in on the iconic vehicle, although sadly enough, I don't think I could ever afford one, not in a lifetime. They're amazingly capable vehicles, provided you don't load them up with 300-pound armoured doors and windows they were never intended to carry.

Money is always the obstacle...
    "I see you have your autocorrect turned off. I aslo liek to lvie dnageruosly."
    I see you have your autocorrect turned back on. I also like to lube degenerates."

The three scariest things in aviation are:
    1. A flight attendant with a chipped tooth,
    2. An air traffic controller on break,
    and 3. A doctor in a Beechcraft Bonzana.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Flashpoint

Swampdonkey (01-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    https://humvee.com/

Good news for us that they're offering Humvees to the public now. I definitely want in on the iconic vehicle, although sadly enough, I don't think I could ever afford one, not in a lifetime. They're amazingly capable vehicles, provided you don't load them up with 300-pound armoured doors and windows they were never intended to carry.

Money is always the obstacle...

Some scrap heaps called Humvees went at the last auction for $170K... USD... Yeah, definitely not an entry-level hobby to own and restore one of those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast