Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What should we do, now that the Conservatives lost?

Email:
    Dear Doug_M,

So what should we do?
    Some pundits say the Conservative Party is dead forever.
    Others say the only way for the Conservative Party to win again is if it stops being so conservative.
    And still others say the new Conservative opposition has to stop opposing things ó to be more agreeable, and to go along with Justin Trudeau!
    Well, Iíve thought about this for a week now. And I think itís all wrong.
    In fact, I donít even think the main problem is with the Conservative Party.
    Iíve put together a serious video presentation here where I give you my assessment of what went wrong ó and what can be done to fix it.
    Please take some time to watch that video, here. And let me know what you think. Share it with your friends ó what do they think?
    Weíve got some hard work ahead of us, to protect the Canadian values we love. Iím up for it ó are you?

Yours truly,
    Ezra Levant

P.S. Itís a fifteen minute video, because thereís a lot to go over. But Iíd be grateful if you watched it and left your thoughts in the ďcommentsĒ section underneath. Tell me what you think!
    P.P.S. And please share this e-mail with your friends, or tell them to visit www.RebuildTheRight.ca, or type that right into your Facebook status bar and share it.
    Video:

Article: http://www.therebel.media/rebuildtheright

Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party are the new government in Canada.
    But the real challenge for conservatives for the next four years is the lack of any non-partisan conservative infrastructure in Canada. What we are missing are the forces in the larger culture that help shape ideas and influence and advocacy.
    Iím starting to work on a plan, with other people, people who care, who are worried for Canada, but who want to build, not just complain.
    Iím going to take a few weeks to put together a proper blueprint, with a group of allies. Itís got to be bigger than me, and bigger than the Rebel. Itís got to be long-term in thinking.
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

Gonna watch this after work, I've already seen the video posted to Facebook in the wee hours of the morning, didn't get a chance to view yet.....

There are a helluva lot more right minded people out there than the left would prefer to let on....years of bombardment by the media has left them skewed, some thinking that we're just a bunch of uneducated redneck ###holes as preached by TV. But talk to them and they agree, at least in principle, to many right wing views. Low taxes, smaller government, etc.... We really need to find our voices....

I think Ezra was right about a couple of things - pick the individual that the pundits (read:Liberal shills) don't and we definitely need some right wing PAC's for the next election. Or it will be another 4 years of JT.....

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    But talk to them and they agree, at least in principle, to many right wing views. Low taxes, smaller government, etc.... We really need to find our voices....
    Which is one of the themes of the video, that we will be told by pundits and shills that the Conservatives need to soften and conform more to left wing views, when in fact we shouldn't. I don't think we should. Harper ran the CPC as a centrist party. No need to move to the left. We had that party already and they need to remain extinct.
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    Which is one of the themes of the video, that we will be told by pundits and shills that the Conservatives need to soften and conform more to left wing views, when in fact we shouldn't. I don't think we should. Harper ran the CPC as a centrist party. No need to move to the left. We had that party already and they need to remain extinct.
    Intact i think you mean or Distinct, not extinct. But i get where you were going.

Well it's the truth - there were about 96 left wing PAC groups (registered third party advertisers) that spent a lot of money in the election slagging harper. THere were about 3 that were pro harper. And with the right to spend about 500,000 dollars each, that adds up to about 40 million dollars in total extra advertising, although that much wasn't spent this time around it was up there. And the media has been wooed by the left and pushed by the left and that leads to the left wing media agenda.

That's another thing - reporters may or may not be left leaning , but they're generally open to those who make their lives easier and who take the time to engage with them. So the lefties spend a lot of time talking to those reporters, buying them lunches and such, making sure their articles get lots of attention and that their bosses hear what a great job they're doing, etc. So of COURSE they're going to go in that direction. We're not doing that, either as gun owners or right of center thinkers.

Think about it - if you're interested in a girl and so is another guy, and he spends all his time complimenting her and giving her flowers and treating her, and you don't even bother to call her, are you really surprised when she decides to date him instead of you? That's what we've been doing with the media.

Now historically we've done some grass roots things and our orgs have done some small works. The NFA for example did advertise on the radio in previous elections about non firearms issues (and it was pretty damn funny too, it was a good ad). The CSSA had some advertising too. But it was all pretty low scale, not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth or the like. And there's been grass roots programs like the turf mark holland project, as well as some local efforts to get gun owners and conservatives involved in the election and out to vote.

But this election we did basically none of that. A tiny bit of what we used to do - which even then was largely a tiny bit.

I am excited about where Rod's new org might go because they're looking at addressing SOME of those issues on the gun front and working with media and such and that's something we've really failed at in the past. So hopefully that will start to move things in the right direction.

But we do need to do more, and it's got to come from an organized effort. I think ezra is downplaying the importance of building up the CPC again, i think picking the new leader will be critical especially for us gun owners. But - he's dead right that we can't just let the large unions and left wing orgs have free reign with the media and spend millions and millions of dollars on advertising unchallenged in the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    Intact i think you mean or Distinct, not extinct. But i get where you were going.
    Was referring to the Progressive Conservatives and I indeed meant extinct (federally).

I am excited about where Rod's new org might go because they're looking at addressing SOME of those issues on the gun front and working with media and such and that's something we've really failed at in the past. So hopefully that will start to move things in the right direction.
    Yup, me too. For example, what better person (than Rod) to explain to the gen pop why the RCMP are NOT experts when they call for banning certain semis, after all, look at their decision regarding the Blaze-47 (okay, imagine that explained by Rod in his non-confrontational, easy going manner and cool shirt).

But we do need to do more, and it's got to come from an organized effort. I think ezra is downplaying the importance of building up the CPC again, i think picking the new leader will be critical especially for us gun owners. But - he's dead right that we can't just let the large unions and left wing orgs have free reign with the media and spend millions and millions of dollars on advertising unchallenged in the next election.
    Yes, yes and yes.

Was referring to the Progressive Conservatives and I indeed meant extinct (federally).
    Ahhh - fair enough
    Yup, me too. For example, what better person (than Rod) to explain to the gen pop why the RCMP are NOT experts when they call for banning certain semis, after all, look at their decision regarding the Blaze-47 (okay, imagine that explained by Rod in his non-confrontational, easy going manner and cool shirt).
    well sure, but more importantly I can see him being very good at training up people to actually engage the media and start building relationships. That's what's really missing - it's all fine and dandy for rod to explain something, but what has to happen first is we need to be regularly sitting down with a number of reporters and editors and developing that relationship and making them comfortable with the knowedge level we have so that when Rod DOES explain something, they not only believe it but they actually print it and incorporate it into their stories.

That's the real key - working with the media BEFORE there's a story so that they'll work with you when there is. That means shmoozing and making them feel important and all that good stuff ANd doing things like organizing a letter campaign so that when they DO print a positive story we flood the editor with letters saying what a great story it is and man, i sure want to subscribe to a paper that has THAT kind of excellent quality reporting, etc.

Journalists are severely pressed for time these days and it's highly competative. So if you can spoon feed them a good story so they don't have to spend a lot of time on it, AND make htem look like a hero after - you win their loyalty. And they become more and more open to your views. And then when a story breaks you call them and say 'here's the REAL story and all the facts and research you'll need to write your story easily".

That is the difference between a gun ban being reported as "deadly killing machines removed from our streets" and "gov't seizes property without compensation - guns never used in crimes".

We have to court the media like a girl we want to date and make sure they're excited when they see our name on the call display. That is a long process and it must be maintained constantly at all times, it's not a 'one off' thing. And i'm hoping that's something Rod is going to try to tackle as they move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    We have to court the media like a girl we want to date and make sure they're excited when they see our name on the call display.
    And how do we do that,
    when their current reaction is:
    a) "Uch. Disgusting guy on phone. Ignore."
    b) "I wonder if he has any friends that wear camo, are missing teeth, spit, and say 'guns is good', that I can get on television during my hit piece."

9. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Swampdonkey (10-28-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    And how do we do that,
    when their current reaction is:
    a) "Uch. Disgusting guy on phone. Ignore."
    b) "I wonder if he has any friends that wear camo, are missing teeth, spit, and say 'guns is good', that I can get on television during my hit piece."
    well like i said - it's a long process that involves building a relationship before there's a story. It's not all that hard, it just takes work.

Journalists are generally poor these days the media industry is dying and they know it. That means journalists have very little time to work on stories or research them. It also means they don't get a lot of perks.

So to go back to the original metaphor - they're just like dating girls, but right now they're the insecure ugly girls with braces so a little attention goes a long way to getting in their pants.

So you buy them nice lunches and dinners. You give them hockey tickets for taking the time to listen to you. You make sure that if they're working on a gun story they have every fact and figure they could possibly want. You spoon feed them stories they might not no about with all the info and sources necessary to write it in their sleep, so they can look smart with very little effort. Etc etc.

And you make sure that the gun community regales their efforts to the editors so that it helps secure their job. We don't SAY it's the gun community, but we make sure the positive feedback gets to the right people.

You wine and dine them and give them perks and generally make their lives better and give them some love and attention, and they'll give you what you want. You don't need 100 of them or anything, 10 or 20 would be more than enough to make sure the papers were loaded with lots of pro-firearms stuff and tones down the anti stuff when there's an 'event'.

There's no secret - it just takes a bit of money and effort.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Foxer

Edenchef (10-28-2015)

If the media industry is dying, shouldn't we let it die while we catch the next wave?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast