Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Conservatives made deal to quiet dissent on C-51, gun group says

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...un-group-says/

C-51 dissent by gun group quieted under Conservative deal
    Laura Payton September 16, 2015

Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney (left) shakes hands with Justice Minister Peter MacKay as they leave the Senate Chambers after Royal Assent of several bills on Thursday, June 18, 2015. (Fred Chartrand/CP)

The president of the National Firearms Association says the Conservative government offered to make changes to its gun licensing bill if the NFA held its fire on the controversial bill C-51, then reneged on the agreement.

Sheldon Clare, who is running as an independent candidate in British Columbia’s Cariboo-Prince George riding, posted the details of the alleged arrangement to quell dissent about C-51 on his Facebook page Monday. Clare said the NFA’s opposition to C-51, which became law in June, was well known, and that there were “great legal minds” already arguing for changes. But the organization also decided to cancel its committee appearance to discuss C-51 because the government offered to make changes to C-42, another bill that worried the NFA.

A lawyer for the NFA had been scheduled to appear before the House public safety committee last March, along with Open Media, another opponent of the bill. C-51 gave sweeping police powers to Canada’s intelligence agencies and offers no corresponding increase in oversight, raising the ire of privacy advocates.

At the time, no one from the NFA—including Clare—would say why the group cancelled, leaving Open Media scrambling to find a replacement. Open Media, which tends to be embraced by the left, wanted to show the breadth of opposition to C-51 by appearing with a more right-leaning witness. Open Media’s Steve Anderson eventually appeared along with Connie Fournier, who founded the Free Dominion website, which describes itself as a forum for the discussion of conservative philosophy and activism​.

But Clare is now going public about the backroom deal.

“We had been promised that the CPC would give us the four amendments that we sought on C-42 [a bill making changes to firearms licensing] if we didn’t go to that hearing. We were asked not to be used by the NDP as a stick to beat up the CPC,” he wrote on Facebook.

The NFA agreed, Clare wrote, but soon felt betrayed when the Conservatives didn’t invite the organization to present its amendments on C-42, which streamlined gun licensing and provided a six-month grace period for lapsed licenses. C-42 also brought in mandatory gun prohibitions for violent offenders and domestic assaults.

“In short, we were lied to by the Conservatives about that deal,” Clare wrote, naming Mark Johnson, the director of parliamentary affairs in Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney’s office.

Clare says Kory Teneycke, the party spokesman travelling with Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, confirmed to him personally that the “NFA had been played, and that the government saw no need to honour its commitment on C42 to us.”

“Both the NFA and I personally have always opposed C51 and continue to do so. At the time, we believed that the government would honour its commitment, and so we remained silent on the matter. There is no need to do so any longer.”

One of the irritants tackled in C-42 moved gun classification decisions to cabinet from the RCMP. The Mounties had caused a commotion in the gun community by reclassifying the Swiss Arms Classic Green rifle as a prohibited weapon.

Clare wrote in the same Facebook posting that Johnson, in Blaney’s office, confirmed to him that the public safety minister signed off on the reclassification, “only reversing and blaming the police after the NFA revealed that information and led the effort to reverse that decision.”

Johnson and Teneycke did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Clare’s leadership of the NFA was challenged last February, with several of the NFA’s provincial directors voting to remove him as president. Clare and several other members of the board weren’t present at the meeting, which seemed to stem from the firing of executive vice-president Shawn Bevins. Bevins has since joined a rival organization, the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights.
    Last edited by Doug_M; 09-17-2015 at 03:43 AM.
    Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times [#uc# you CCP!]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times [#uc# you CCP!]

Still not regretting tossing that renewal in the trash.....

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Billythreefeathers (09-17-2015), Gaidheal (09-16-2015)

I have to wonder what Clare's end game is - because I don't think there will be a politician left in Ottawa who will speak to the man. The NFA will be persona non grata.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzed View Post
    I have to wonder what Clare's end game is - because I don't think there will be a politician left in Ottawa who will speak to the man. The NFA will be persona non grata.
    WILL be ? I think that ship sailed a long time ago.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

The NFA is so finished. Clare has turned out to be a one man wrecking crew.
    CSSA CCFR CPC

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    WILL be ? I think that ship sailed a long time ago.
    I don't know to the extent that the NFA burnt bridges in other incidents but going public with this kind of crap will leave them on the outside for the foreseeable future They need an Executive overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Still not regretting tossing that renewal in the trash.....
    This,
    and this.

Well played, Mr. Clare. Class act all the way. No bridges being burnt there. I wonder if the fact that you were busy helping implode the NFA had anything to do with the fact that the CPC wanted nothing to do with your amendments...which were? NR ARs? Full cap mags? Publicly palatable gifts like these on the eve of an election, perhaps?
    CSSA CCFR

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Strewth

coastal (09-17-2015), Doug_M (09-16-2015), Rory McCanuck (09-16-2015)

I don't know to the extent that the NFA burnt bridges in other incidents but going public with this kind of crap will leave them on the outside for the foreseeable future They need an Executive overhaul.
    Harper holds grudges like nobody else I've ever seen.

The NFA WAS ignored. They are now officially dead in Ottawa. Clare just put the final nail in their coffin. A change in leadership won't help anything.
    This is his parting shot like Chretien changing the donation laws to f--k over Martin.

Curious, many of the same people here that say that the only way to effect change is to become involved; are some of the same people that abandoned the NFA rather then getting further involved, voting in a new leadership and improving the lobby group.
    The latest release of the Canadian Firearms journal is complete departure from the past tone and branding.

The new editor Al Voth seems ready and able to fix the messaging eliminating from this organization.

Mandatory Reload Paperback – October 30, 2001 by Al Voth

B-Zone : a Novel of the Gun Paperback – June 15, 1999 by Al Voth

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast