Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    I brought my Mosin out deer hunting last year, didn't get anything though.
    Worst mistake I ever made. I took some Ingram round and plug this deer right threw the ass end and then it came out the opposite side sholder...
    Needless to say I had a lot of ground blood splattered meat and only 2 none bone shattered roasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    Worst mistake I ever made. I took some Ingram round and plug this deer right threw the ass end and then it came out the opposite side sholder...
    Needless to say I had a lot of ground blood splattered meat and only 2 none bone shattered roasts.
    What's an Ingram round?
    ...and are you saying you shot the deer behind the shoulder while it was quartering away from you and the bullet went through (I did this once, and I don't know why but it destroyed the whole front of the animal), or you literally shot it in the bum?
    CSSA CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    What's an Ingram round?
    ...and are you saying you shot the deer behind the shoulder while it was quartering away from you and the bullet went through (I did this once, and I don't know why but it destroyed the whole front of the animal), or you literally shot it in the bum?
    Yep but threw the bum on one side and out the shoulder on the other side.
    Spelt it wrong.

Banned
    ....why on earth would you take such a shot, especially with a rather heavy round?

Quote Originally Posted by YukonLeftie View Post
    ....why on earth would you take such a shot, especially with a rather heavy round?
    Right as I was pulling on the trigger it decided to dart off.
    White tail deer's in OK Falls a so skidish that the noise wind makes blowing in the trees will cause them to dart off.
    As for using such a heavy round. Well that's all I could find at the time and I really want to take a deer with my milsurp rifle.

I had 180 gr bullets too, Sellier & Bellot. Kind of glad I didn't get anything now.
    I like guns.

Quote Originally Posted by webster View Post
    I had 180 gr bullets too, Sellier & Bellot. Kind of glad I didn't get anything now.
    They hit pretty hard.
    ~50 yards, broadside slightly quartering away on a 1.5y.o. button buck.
    Hit just behind the right shoulder and into the left shoulder. The left front leg went straight up in the air like a flag pole.
    One of those mind's eye hunting pictures, only lasted a split second, but one I'll never forget.
    Little beggar ran probably 75 yards on one front leg and nothing but jelly for heart and lungs.

I shot my first (and only) bear a couple falls ago with my sporterized Ross. I always take the Ross along as a back up, but I try not to shoot 303 as much any more because the over the counter price is getting silly.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Got a deer with my Ross in the closing days of the season.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

A Ross!

That's ALMOST as Canadian as what OTOKIAK is doing!

Everybody on this thread deserves a piece of Raisin Pie!

You need to start loading your own, friend. It costs about 60 cents a shot to handload .303 with a 150 or a 180 bullet: pretty much the same as anything else. If you like a low-velocity extremely cheap load you can use the Harris Load: 9 rounds for a Loonie, hardly any recoil, accuracy sufficient for Gophers out to 200+ and your barrel will last forever.

If it were not for handloading, I could not possibly afford to shoot. My Beaumont demands fodder at $7 a shot (and 90 years old), my Sniders cost $10 a shot to feed and even Carcano ammo is almost $2 a pop....... and they ALL cost SIXTY CENTS OR LESS to handload. Handloading, the Sniders run about 35 cents, the Beaumont just over a dime. A very nice basic outfit pays for itself in THREE range sessions. Something to consider.

I'm just wondering if our friend OTOKIAK is using one of those new-fangled semi-automatic harpoons, or just the old single-shot type.......
    Last edited by Smellie; 12-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast