School me on long range range finders.

#1 requirement is reliably ranging to 1500 yards. Bonus if it has ballistic and or weather condition capabilities. Must be rugged as well, it will go through hell. I'm looking at vortex as it's more than likely to be damaged at some point, how ever if vortex will not provide the ranging I want, I'll go to another brand.

Id figure a level of magnification is a must.

If your #1 requirement is reliable ranging, remember this, Accuracy=$$$$$$

Look closely at the specs of any range finder, just because it says it can range out to 1000+ yards it doesn't mean it can do it accurately. I have a Leica 1000, was about $675 when I bought it on sale. It will range out to about 2km on large stationary objects, but not real accurate, basically a ballpark figure, but it will range +/- 1 yard accurately up to 850yards.
    In comparison, a friend has a Bushnell 1000 yard rangefinder and we've found it's +/- 1 yard accuracy is only about 325 yards. It's accuracy falls off after 500 and gets worse the further out you go.

Do some research for exactly what your requirements are and buy a real good quality range finder ONCE, save your money and wait if you have too, but buying less expensive equipment initially will cost you more in the long run. Especially if you want accurate ranging at 1500 yards.

What is your budget? That will pretty much narrow your choices down.

Sent via Tapatalk
    "Revalllllverz!" - Tuco Ramirez

I'm willing to drop about $2k, preferably less, but I do indeed want an accurate range to 1500y minimum.
    I'm not willing to take manufacturers claims as gospel.. Id like real life experiences with various models.

Bump... Come on, somebody else noes something..

You may need to stretch that budget a little......but you want accuracy and reliability at long range, look at vectronix......perhaps the best out there.
    Also check Newcon.....Canadian built, with some reviews less than favorable, but I've had a LRB 3000 for years, and its been a real good unit......works as advertised.

(I'm sure you've already looked into those names, just throwing in my thoughts....)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'm looking at vortex as it's more than likely to be damaged at some point, how ever if vortex will not provide the ranging I want, I'll go to another brand.
    Forget about the Vortex. What you're looking for is more sophisticated and in a much higher price range.

Try Newcon Optik.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
    You may need to stretch that budget a little......but you want accuracy and reliability at long range, look at vectronix......perhaps the best out there.
    Also check Newcon.....Canadian built, with some reviews less than favorable, but I've had a LRB 3000 for years, and its been a real good unit......works as advertised.

(I'm sure you've already looked into those names, just throwing in my thoughts....)
    I agree. Spend a little more and get a LRF that has the capability. The Vectronix Terrapin is great, unfortunately very hard come by and now discontinued. I too run the Newcon LKRB3000 Pro and have no problems ranging 2000 plus yards .

I had a Leica 1200 before I upgrade to Vectronix. The Leica was a decent rangefinder for the $$. If your budget is less than 2k then perhaps you should dig around the Web and see how the Leica 1600 is performing. In all honesty though, I'd be looking at a Newcon or Vectronix for anything out to 1500 + yards.

Sent via Tapatalk
    "Revalllllverz!" - Tuco Ramirez

Thank you guys so much, this is exactly why I posted this. I actually hadnt looked at those models, in fact I hadbt even heard of them other than i now recall the name terripin. I just didn't want to wade through mountains of bs to get the hard facts. Now i have direction. thanks again