The Canadian Military Wants to Learn How to Hack Cars

The Canadian government is looking for someone who can hack a car, and will pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it.

A procurement request published today by Public Works and Government Services states that the Canadian Department of National Defence is looking for a contractor that can “find vulnerabilities and security measures” in vehicles and “develop and demonstrate exploits” for the military.

The vehicle to be hacked is a 2015 pick-up truck, the tender states, although the exact make and model are considered sensitive. The contractor’s job will be to analyze every part of the truck and “develop as many exploits as possible.” The contractor will also need to demonstrate that the hacks could actually hurt someone, or result in an attacker gathering information, with exploit source code to be delivered later next year.

The work will use and build upon existing software developed at the Defence Research and Development Canada facility in Valcartier, Quebec. The software, referred to as “CANpy” in the tender, is capable of “data logging” and “interacting with the bus.” While it’s not clear exactly what CANpy will be used for in the research, it sounds a hell of a lot like the basis for a hacking tool.

It’s not surprising that the Canadian military wants to learn how to hack cars, and potentially prevent others from doing the same to them. While attacks on computers and servers often have few physical consequences—although substantial personal,social, and financial ones—when it comes to cars, the tender states, “cyber-attacks are a more important concern” because someone could actually get hurt.

More importantly, the government is already behind the hackers. The tender refers to vulnerabilities in the Controller Area Network (CAN bus)—a vehicle’s internal computer network—as being the main focus of the work. Last year, security researchers Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek exploited the CAN bus in a Jeep hack that resulted in more than one million cars being recalled. Spanish security expert Javier Vazquez-Vidal also built an iPhone-sized device last year that can hijack a CAN bus.

After the tender is awarded, the Canadian military will be hacking cars until March of 2019, and plans to spend $825,000 CAD on the project.
    http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the...w-to-hack-cars

Time to get this thing back on the road I guess.....

3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By kennymo

CaperJim (10-06-2015), speedloader (10-06-2015), Swampdonkey (10-06-2015)

I want a tank
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Drop a 2000lb bomb right on the roof. That will shut down the computer, engine, and driver. There. Vulnerability. Pay me !!!
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Edenchef (10-06-2015), Gaidheal (10-06-2015)

This is a good alibi for hacking and stealing something of theirs. "I was just trying to bid on that contract, your honour!"

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Drop a 2000lb bomb right on the roof. That will shut down the computer, engine, and driver. There. Vulnerability. Pay me !!!

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By RobertMcC

88 louie (10-06-2015), Lee Enfield (10-06-2015), speedloader (10-06-2015)

Probably want to check the DND fleet for vulnerabilities.

Canadian ForcesBuccaneer matty86suk's Avatar
    Just let MARS officers drive the trucks, they will be shut down one way or another
    All my rifles are battle rifles...

12. The Following User Liked This Post By matty86suk

Doug_M (10-08-2015)