moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.

2 groove Garand barrels

I am currently laid up with no knee. (long story) As I have lots of time and pretty much immobile I am reading. Real books on paper! One publication is an old war department technical manual. TM9-1275 to be precise. Now as I have gone through this more than once there is one paragraph that has me questioning some of the advice and information that I have gotten regarding the existence of two groove Garand barrels. The general consensus is that the Garand never had this type of barrel and any found are a hybrid of demilled Garands and 1903 surplus barrels. However,the manual states TM9-1275,Section 5, paragraph 5, Data a. Rifling:

Number of grooves...........................4-rifles of old mfr. 2-rifles of new mfr.

Now remember this manual is the 1947 updated version so what is old/new is subject to interpretation. This information has led me to believe the the Garand rifle was fitted with new, two groove barrels at some time in the manufacturing or refurbishing process. Now the questions. Who made these barrels? What arsenals were doing the refurbishing at this time? Are there any records of how many of these barrels were produced and used? I have a two groove barrel that is in excellent condition but due to some of the information I have received, I have been wary of using it. If it is indeed a true USGI replacement barrel it will have a place in an upcoming build. Any and all information, guesses, rumours or other tidbits are welcome and appreciated. Thanks,FAL.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Interesting, two groove was popular on the No.4 Enfield for a bit, possibly as a cost cutting measure to reduce machining time. We're the Savage built LE's two groove? I can't recall off the top of my head, but if so the idea was already kicking around the U.S.

When Remington was re-designing the '03 for easier manufacturing, they found there was no accuracy difference between 2 and 4 grooves. M1 Rifles were made with both. The 2's being later. Likely war time manufacture. Lot of on-line arguing about it too. Gets worse too. There was a theory at SA(not inc.) that 3 grooves would be enough
    There's an in depth article about Remington's '03 tests here. 'In depth' is being polite too. Bunch of info relating to No. 4 Lee-Enfields as well.
    http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/two-groove

We bought a crate of new Danish m1 Garand barrels. There were late Springfield, marlin post war and VAR. All
    new , some in paper, some not. The VAR look the best because they were not in a hurry to make them.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Quote Originally Posted by can14 View Post
    We bought a crate of new Danish m1 Garand barrels. There were late Springfield, marlin post war and VAR. All
    new , some in paper, some not. The VAR look the best because they were not in a hurry to make them.
    Who is this "we" you speak of? Do "we" still have any and if yes, are "we" willing to part with one (or more)?
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!