Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Have gun, will travel. Forbes/Hutton's Avatar
    reported
    Remember: the opposite of "Far Right" is Far Wrong.

Can you ship rifles with you on a plane, like west jet? And if you can, then what are the logistics?

Canada Post Policies for shipping firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    Can you ship rifles with you on a plane, like west jet? And if you can, then what are the logistics?
    Yes. Check the Westjet web site for specifics, but if I remember correctly, it must be transported in a sturdy hard sided case that is locked. When checking in, you MUST declare that you have a firearm in your checked luggage.

You can, but it's a bit of a pain. The reason that firearms can't be shipper via expresspost has indeed to do with the possibility of them being loaded on aircraft, which then makes the parcel subject to IATA and other regulations specific to air transport and the whole thing becomes very complex, very quickly.

Firearm within a secure hard-sided case locked with a key or code accessible only to you. Firearm must be declared.
    Ammunition that is within the maximum stipulated weight, securely contained in a proper ammunition container - such as the factory box - which provides cartridge separation.
    Smile and say to the airline agent: "Hello. I need an unloaded firearm declaration form, please." (The airline agent will put a copy of an unloaded firearm declaration form with the firearm.)
    Baggage with firearm and/or ammunition cannot be carried-on the aircraft and must be surrendered into airline custody (i.e.: checked bags).
    CATSA will speak with you and then inspect and swab your bag(s).

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...ment.shtml#gun

Firearms and ammunition

While WestJet accepts firearms for scheduled flights within Canada and to/from the United States, regulations differ for some of our international destinations.
    Although some guidance is provided below for firearm and ammunition restrictions and embargos to/from some of our international destinations, this information may change or new restrictions/embargos may be introduced. You are responsible for ensuring that all necessary permissions, documentation and other requirements have been obtained or satisfied prior to travelling. WestJet accepts no liability in the event that your weapon is denied entry or is confiscated upon entry. Please contact your destination's consulate for further information.
    Due to strict regulations, firearms and ammunition (clips/magazines) are not permitted in carry-on, checked baggage or cargo on flights to or from Dublin.
    Firearms are restricted on flights to/from:
    Bermuda (BDA)
    Bridgetown, Barbados (BGI)
    Kingston, Jamaica (KIN)
    Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ)
    Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago (POS)
    St. Lucia (UVF)
    Each firearm item will be considered a piece of your checked baggage allowance.
    Guests checking baggage and firearms over the permitted amount will be subject to applicable additional and excess baggage fees.

Firearms acceptance criteria

Firearms are permitted ONLY in checked baggage, and ONLY if the firearm is:
    Unloaded (declaration must be signed)
    Packaged in a locked, heavy-duty container or hard-sided (opaque) gun case
    Restricted firearms must be locked with either a cable lock or trigger lock
    Non-restricted firearms such as hunting rifles and shotguns do not require a cable or trigger lock.
    WestJet will accept the following types of firearms:
    Shotguns
    Handguns
    BB guns
    Starter pistols
    Rifles
    Air pistols
    Paintball guns (Please note: carbon dioxide cartridges/tanks for paintball guns will only be accepted if empty, with the valve secured in the open position. Please see restricted items for more details.)
    Ammunition must be:
    Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.
    Carried in sturdy baggage not weighing more than 5 kg (11 lb.) gross weight per person (excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles)
    Packaged in the manufacturer's original container or an equivalent sturdy, durable container that provides sufficient cartridge separation
    Tasers and stun guns
    Tasers and stun guns are prohibited for transport

<http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/travel/basics/baggage/hunting-equipment.shtml#gun>
    Last edited by Wendell; 05-25-2014 at 05:28 AM.

I'd also look into the laws of the destination you're flying to. Locked and unloaded a certain way just might not be good enough. I'd also question whether airport security is trained to not assault you first without consulting his supervisor regarding legal firearms.

Interesting, I don't think I've ever received a firearm from an online retailer with a lock attached even ones that come with a free lock. I did read this on Canada Post's site as well so for my protection when I shipped a few rifles I sold I attached combination locks and emailed the codes to the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    [B]To be able to ship Expedited Parcel you just need to sign up for a free card using a "fake" business.
    What's a "free card"?

Quote Originally Posted by DeathSpok View Post
    What's a "free card"?
    It's the Venture One card for "small businesses". You apply online and make up a small business name for the application and get the card in the mail. Allows you to ship firearms by Expedited Mail instead of Regular.

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    It's the Venture One card for "small businesses". You apply online and make up a small business name for the application and get the card in the mail. Allows you to ship firearms by Expedited Mail instead of Regular.
    Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying that. Actually, I do in fact own a legit small business, so I don't even have to make anything up

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast