Thread: 410 chokes...

410 chokes...

The SxS 410 I was looking at has Improved Cylinder and Modified chokes. Don't think they're changeable.

Anyways, that seemed kind of pointless to me, I always thought 410s were full choked.
    But the question is, are they ok for grouse and rabbits? Still kill them dead?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

At short range only for grouse less then 20 yards, bunnies being tougher to kill limit yourself to 10-15 yards to get a killing pattern. Use a full choke where ever possible when hunting.
    Improved cyl in a 410 does really have no place in hunting.
    Sorry a 28 gauge is a lot more gun then the 410.
    A 410 is a sorry excuse for a hunting arm. It has its place in skeet, where there is a special handicap category for the 410 in competition. The reason the 410 is a poor choice for game is its miserable patterns and long shot strings, making it more a crippler then a good killer. Skeet does not for nothing classify the 410 in a real serious handicap class.
    With a 410 you can perfectly centre your target and not break it.
    Better yet get a 20 being light weight and enough out to 35-40 yards on grouse with a full choke and at least 11/8 oz loads at that long range.
    Out to 30 yards, 1 oz loads will do grouse with a modified.
    Closer then that like out to 20 yards go for the skeet or improved cylinder.
    For bunnies stick at all times to your modified or better yet full choke in your20.
    Last edited by Shrike; 08-05-2013 at 08:31 PM.

The only way you'll know for sure is if you take it to the range and pattern the gun at different ranges with different brands of ammo. You might be surprised.

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    I use my old 410 for birds in the field since I was 11 y/o and couldn't tell you how many birds it has put in the pot! No it's not a distance gun , but with 3" shells it always gets the job done and feeds me . I find the shot load with #4 works good
    Come check out our new website ! Click the link at the top of the page for Zombie Supply Canada

Also stop by our face book page and see what's new
    Don't forget all members get a GOC discount
    www.zombiesupplycanada.ca

I disagree 100% with Strikes statements as to the suitability and use of the .410 in a hunting application. No problem with the .410 as a hunting firearm. Use appropriate # shot for what you're shooting and you'll be fine. While it does not throw as much lead as other gauges (being the smallest), don't be fooled into believing it has no use in the hunting community. It's used widely for birds and small critters such as rabbits, just what you were looking to do. Did you know the .410 slug has a longer "deadly range" than the 12G slug due to the high pressure of the load?

I wouldn't mind a Savage 42, but apparently it's cylinder choke on the 410 barrel?
    Seems like a bad idea to have a open choke on a marketed game getter survival gun.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I wouldn't mind a Savage 42, but apparently it's cylinder choke on the 410 barrel?
    Seems like a bad idea to have a open choke on a marketed game getter survival gun.
    I know the older ones have a full choke. I have a Stevens 22-410, which was before the Savage 24 and 42 name took over and it has a full choke. It's in a state of needs repair, and I even have most of the parts, but I'm really slow at projects some times.