Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar

Maintenance Guide?

Is there some sort of maintenance guide I can print off so that I can ensure my archery stuff is getting the love it needs at the right time? It's a compound.

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

What brand? There should be an owners manual online someplace....here's one from Bowtech:

http://www.bowtecharchery.com/admin/...alWeb_BT14.pdf

There's not a whole lot of maintainance to do on a compound, unless I've been missing something. Wax the string once in a while, get it changed when it gets too hairy looking.

It's a Darton Ranger III. I just waxed the strings, but I had a concern about the cams and the fact they've got moving bits. I've had her for a number of years and haven't really done anything in terms of maintenance. Figure it's about time to pamper her...

Thanks for the link

Love my Darton. It seems to be getting by with waxing. I don't think they recommend a whole helluva lot of service on the cams, no oiling or such. Maybe pop into an archery shop to see if they recommend anything extra? The one down the street from my house is hugely helpful....

I'm getting to the point where I'd actually like to *know* the how-tos of my own stuff.

I can easily take it to a shop and someone will take it out of my hands to tinker with it, and give it back to me with a pat on the head. I've encountered that and the extreme opposite, which is bordering on an irate "YOU DON"T KNOW THIS?@?!K! WHAT THE W($#*$)(@#* ARE YOU DOING IN THIS SPORT!?!?!?"

I have frustration waiting for someone to break things down into laymans terms :/ It's been set up...I need to tinker with it, would like to make some changes to the poundage and the pins, want to mess around and put some limb savers on it. It can't be that difficult. A manual and how-to guides will be great.

Lol, I was thinking of going and asking for advice rather than just turning in your string stick, but your shop seems angrier than the one I go to. Poundage is easy IIRC. Tighten the big bolt/screw that holds each limb onto the riser (handle bit). The bolts must be tightened an equal number of turns or it can throw everything out of tune.

I've owned my Bowtech Equalizer for...8 years, maybe 9. All I've ever done to it was wax the string. It actually sat unused in it's case for 4 or 5 years and when I pulled it out this summer, waxed the string up and fired a few arrows it shot the same as the day I bought it.

I don't think you need to worry about regular maintenance other than waxing the string. The other stuff is good to know like adjusting your poundage and length of pull. Honestly, I've been idle with archery too long to have learned that stuff and would like to myself. Adding a sight, arrow rest, stablizer etc is easy as it's just a matter of bolting them onto the bow.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

"...Wax the string once in a while, get it changed when it gets too hairy looking..." And don't ever dry fire it. Nothing to do with one.

You could call Wayne at Big Game Archery 604-859-2086, he's a member at Abby F&G. I was shooting beside him on day and he seems knowledgeable and was forthcoming with pointers for me, I think he might be helpful with your concerns.
    They say money cant buy happiness, but it can buy guns and shooting makes me happy.